Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times

Advertisements

Feeding my Cummins pure veggie oil makes it run like butter... Its also better for the pistons as the walls are better lubricated with the oil. However I think this is an apples to oranges situation when comparing it to oils that solely lubricate bearings and gears. It doesn't matter how quickly veggie oil breaks down if its being burned up however that does matter if it were to be constantly recycled and tortured through the oiling circuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,794 times
Green Earth is one....I am working on one myself.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:20 PM

I am going to make some from my expeller canola oil, that i press here in NC...I have 2 cars and one diesel truck....E350 7.3 powerstroke..will let you know how it works....I am also looking into boric acid additive to make it a little slicker, and a copper additive to reduce oxidation...

Old 03-31-2011, 02:25 PM

Default Co generation idea...

I am a producer of cold pressed canola oil, and am looking at adding a small generator to burn some excess oil, convert some to diesel, and also make some motor oil with an additive for stability....making horse, and dairy feed from the canola meal, but need a more profitable outlet for the canola...anyone with some experience using canola as a motor oil let me know...

Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Quote:
is out performing traditional synthetics.
In a word- no. The base oil produced and used by G-Oil is polyol ester and is the only single use base polyol ester based oil available. If you are using E85 and using the G-Oil, you are using the wrong products together. This is where a little knowlesge is a bad thing. Polyol esters do not handle any condensate very well. E85 will naturally bring a ton of it. I would suggest that you quit the E85 until you can change the oil to something that is far more compatible with the E85. You're basically sludging the heck out of your engine with it. Under normal conditions, the Polyols do a fabulous job at cleaning, but not in a high condensate environment.
Any motor oil you buy is a balance of basestock and additives. One does not make an oil better. It called synergistic. Individually neither are remarkable. But in the right balance they can be formidable. The base oil in G Oil is a well built base but the add package is more towards the weak side. At best, it will rival the blends in overall performance. No oil, regardless of advertizing, will make an engine produce more power. Unless the viscosity is on the thin range of its Kinematic scale, will not make for more fuel mileage. No API certified oil will make your engine run one mile farther regardless of claims. There have been numerous oil companies out there that are making these claims. They have been sued and lost their claims but the advertising still exists. Pick an API Certified brand that is the recommended viscosity, change at the recommended mileage, don't pay a lot for it, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive