Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 07:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

GM has had EVs since the 80s. It doesn't matter what's in their pipelines. It's all about execution. If people didn't buy the Volt, Bolt, what makes you think they will buy the next EV from GM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 07:33 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
GM has had EVs since the 80s. It doesn't matter what's in their pipelines. It's all about execution. If people didn't buy the Volt, Bolt, what makes you think they will buy the next EV from GM?
In my opinion those (Bolt/Volt) weren't bad cars. They weren't the best looking though, and style matters. The next generation they produce could be more visually appealing. From the info provided, it sounds like they'll have significantly more range and they'll be able to offer them closer to the price of comparable ICE vehicles - both significant factors for buyers. The proof will be in the pudding of course, but I don't think GM is doomed in the EV space just because their first products were more of a base hit than a home run.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:13 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
If the future is now, I'd expect to see an actual car in the background. Hopefully they can hit the mark with one or two of the 23 evs coming.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:35 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
"The automaker has said it plans to release 20 electric nameplates by 2023 and will publicly unveil three of those vehicles in the months to come: the Cadillac “Lyriq” EV crossover in April and two electric versions of GMC’s Hummer in May. This will be followed “soon after” by the Cruise Origin, a shared, electric, self-driving vehicle developed by Cruise (a majority owned subsidiary of GM) and Honda."

Yeah in 3 more years lol

Not "in" 3 more years. BY 3 more years they will be on the road. They are also introducing a new Bolt and a Bolt EUV crossover at the end of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

They sold all they made. And they didn't advertise at all. I have one of each.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:41 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
In my opinion those (Bolt/Volt) weren't bad cars. They weren't the best looking though, and style matters. The next generation they produce could be more visually appealing. From the info provided, it sounds like they'll have significantly more range and they'll be able to offer them closer to the price of comparable ICE vehicles - both significant factors for buyers. The proof will be in the pudding of course, but I don't think GM is doomed in the EV space just because their first products were more of a base hit than a home run.

I bought my 2020 Bolt for $25k, and it has a 259 mile nominal range (many people are getting much more than that). That's in the ballpark already (people don't realize just how far 200+ miles really is). I think it looks no worse than any other hatchback, from the GTI to the Focus ST, and the Bolt has the power to compete with those in acceleration and with a tire swap will match them in handling.

The main problem with them is lack of advertising and lack of promotion from most of the dealer base. Some dealers sell the crap out of them and really point the way to what COULD have been had every dealer been on board with them. That's going to e GM's biggest problem as EVs won't fill up dealer service bays on a regular after the sale, and dealers don't know how to deal with that. I know Bolt owners that have scheduled routine maintenance for their cars and had oil changes put on the schedule by the dealers.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:53 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I bought my 2020 Bolt for $25k, and it has a 259 mile nominal range (many people are getting much more than that). That's in the ballpark already (people don't realize just how far 200+ miles really is). I think it looks no worse than any other hatchback, from the GTI to the Focus ST, and the Bolt has the power to compete with those in acceleration and with a tire swap will match them in handling.

The main problem with them is lack of advertising and lack of promotion from most of the dealer base. Some dealers sell the crap out of them and really point the way to what COULD have been had every dealer been on board with them. That's going to e GM's biggest problem as EVs won't fill up dealer service bays on a regular after the sale, and dealers don't know how to deal with that. I know Bolt owners that have scheduled routine maintenance for their cars and had oil changes put on the schedule by the dealers.
Yep, I know you're an owner, FWIW I did start a thread recently on what I believed were the merits of the Bolt, especially at the steep discounts they have been offering. While 259 miles is respectable, I do think that the cars will prove more appealing to more buyers if they can offer a range of 350 miles.

I also give the Volt props for being one of the very few plug-in hybrids with enough electric range to be credible as a car that's usable by many people as an EV for local driving and commuting and as a hybrid for longer trips - I think ALL plug-in hybrids should have an electric-only range of 40-80 miles, rather than the measly 20-ish miles that is typical.

Styling is subjective of course, but sorry, I just don't go for it on these cars ;-)

I have also heard that many dealers don't have their heart in EV sales, because they won't get a lot of post-sales service work to fill their mechanics' bays. The customers' gain is the dealers' loss. GM corporate needs to figure out some way to reduce this behavior - they're spending a ton of money on EV development and they can't afford to have the (independent) sales force soft-peddling these new products.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-05-2020 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-05-2020, 10:11 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Good for them. I think GM is pretty well equipped to do this since they produced the Chevy Bolt and the owners of the Bolt that I've talked to seem very happy with their cards.

There's also a sentimental reason I want GM to succeed, since they were the ones who produced the EV1 over two decades ago.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Of course GM wants to also benefit from our tax supported incentives for people to purchase electric vehicle.
The Tesla valuation it is insane and with backbone, a bubble waiting to burst.
It is a matter of time before the automotive industry comes back for more support from our tax money.
Poor GM. Never received any support from the government. No gas subsidies for trucks /SUVs, no tax credits for moving jobs, no bailouts. Poor GM.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post

That’s the problem. GM can’t make money at $25K. Tesla likely isn’t making money at $35k, but sells enough $60k model 3s to cover.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:04 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
That’s the problem. GM can’t make money at $25K. Tesla likely isn’t making money at $35k, but sells enough $60k model 3s to cover.
BMW is planning the i4 EV at around $50k.

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/i4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive