Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 06:33 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,317,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep and they can do it again hers how they helped win the Second World War.

The auto industry retooled to manufacture tanks, trucks, jeeps, airplanes, bombs, torpedoes, steel helmets, and ammunition under massive contracts issued by the government. Beginning immediately after the production of automobiles ceased, entire factories were upended almost overnight. Huge manufacturing machines were jack hammered out of their foundations and new ones brought in to replace them. Conveyors were stripped away and rebuilt, electrical wires were bundled together and stored in the vast factory ceilings, half-finished parts were sent to steel mills to be re-melted, and even many of the dies that had been used in the fabrication of auto parts were sent to salvage. We’re it was reused in the making of tanks and planes and ships.

I know!

I'm from Detroit. My Grandfather owned a small Tool & Die shop. Suddenly, his phone was ringing off the hook and he had more orders than he could handle, all war work. My mother remembers driving a delivery van, to places such as Detroit City Airport, Central Train Station, Selfridge Air Force Base, and Willow Run Airport. Their little shop ran day and night! I've heard many stories of that time. Sadly, they're all deceased now. The beat goes on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 09:53 AM

17,153 posts, read 11,993,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I would think a cpap machine could be used to help those with less severe respiratory issues, thus leaving the modern respirators for those in dire condition.
I know if I dial mine up it can really push the air to you.
There's a shortage of those too. I got my diagnosis a few weeks before this all kicked into high gear. They put in an order for a cpap but there are supply problems.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:34 PM

26,937 posts, read 13,166,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/ame...general-motors

Just like WW11 when they made the war machines for the government.
The same thing is happening in the UK.

UK manufacturers to regear factories to build ventilators for NHS - The Guardian

Old 03-22-2020, 04:53 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
That’s great the USA and Great Britain did it before and they can do it again.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:09 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
They started moving on this a while ago. I know there are some offices begin converted to medical facilities and they are making masks at a smaller facility. Mexico has the big manufacturing capability now. Our company has an office in Mexico and we have been buying truckloads of gowns and masks and sanitize, alcohol etc and shipping it to Michigan and donating it to hospitals. It is not a ton, but if more companies would pitch in, it would make a difference. Small shops can be switched over quickly to make things like gowns, masks ant the like. Respirators are a bigger problem. Factories can be re-tooled in a few weeks, but designing and making the tooling takes a long time.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:39 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,318,881 times
The biggest issue isn't building the ventilators-it's building the tooling to make the parts to make the ventilators. Dies for stamping the steel and aluminum parts, molds for injection molded plastic parts, tooling/**** for assembling things. The auto makers for the most part don't build those things in-house. Now, the hope is the suppliers haven't been shut down by their governors as "non-essential" businesses.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:29 AM

18,834 posts, read 27,268,040 times
I've heard, they will be 3D printed. As desperate measure.
Also, apparently government is pulling out of this idea anyway. Them being made by car manufacturers.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,502,556 times
they will be ready just in time for them to not be needed.

the health care industry isnt like the military. the military gets endless money and wastes the vast majority of it and nobody is looking over them. so they will always buy the weapons that are made. health care cant just buy these machines just to have them sit around useless. so the only way they will is if the government pays for them. if that is the case, those companies making them will have to make deals with politicians to kickback money in some form to politicians.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:38 PM

6,713 posts, read 4,367,550 times
Imagine a life long, dedicated Ford man, and in his last breath, he see's a ventilator made by GM.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:44 PM

2,755 posts, read 5,111,732 times
Quote:
The announcement came hours after Trump lashed out at GM and its CEO, Mary Barra, in a series of tweets.

“As usual with ‘this’ General Motors, things just never seem to work out. They said they were going to give us 40,000 much needed Ventilators, ‘very quickly’. Now they are saying it will only be 6000, in late April, and they want top dollar,” he wrote.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
As usual with “this” General Motors, things just never seem to work out. They said they were going to give us 40,000 much needed Ventilators, “very quickly”. Now they are saying it will only be 6000, in late April, and they want top dollar. Always a mess with Mary B. Invoke “P”.

11:16 AM - Mar 27, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
37.5K people are talking about this
“General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!!” he tweeted.

GM sold the Lordstown plant to a company that wants to make electric commercial vehicles.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!! @GeneralMotors @Ford

11:23 AM - Mar 27, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
51.9K people are talking about this
Trump criticized Barra, saying: "Always a mess with Mary B."

The tweets were an apparent response to a New York Times report that a $1 billion deal between the White House and the company was called off. The contract would have allowed the production of 80,000 ventilators.

Trump's move appears aimed at price and volume negotiations with the government. But it’s Ventec, not GM, that is talking with the government, said Chris Brooks, Ventec’s chief strategy officer.

Ventec ventilators, which are portable and can handle intensive care patients, cost about $18,000 each, Brooks said. That’s much cheaper than the more sophisticated ventilators used by hospitals that can cost up to $50,000, he said.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...production-act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive