Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM

200 posts, read 354,272 times

Advertisements

When my family moves to San Diego (From Australia) next year we will need to buy cars. What is the best method or website to use to purchase a car in SD or California?

Also, is there a website that is like a pricing authority, so you can check whether you are getting a good deal?

We will probably buy used cars. Is it best to buy privately from your average Joe or is it better to go through a dealer?

What do I need to look out for when purchasing a car? Any tips appreciated.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum_magic View Post
When my family moves to San Diego (From Australia) next year we will need to buy cars.
What do I need to look out for when purchasing a car? Any tips appreciated.
The same basic things as in Australia. Don't believe anyone.

Quote:
is there a website that is like a pricing authority, so you can check whether you are getting a good deal?
KellyBlueBook and NADA are the most well known and active sources for data.
Caveat Emptor applies there too

Quote:
What is the best method or website to use to purchase a car in SD or California?
Craigslist is pretty much it today.

Quote:
We will probably buy used cars.
Is it best to buy privately from your average Joe or is it better to go through a dealer?
That depends on how capable a buyer and shopper you are.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Car Buying

craigslist.com, cars.com, and autotrader.com for used cars.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
1. craigslist
2. craigslist
3. craigslist

Nothing better and welcome to the country. Caveat is - you have to be decent mechanic and spot bad cars from good ones. Over the last 3 or so years, we bought 5 cars, 3 of them rebuilt, all running like champs, some sold back for almost no loss - back on craigslist.
People will tell thing like KellyBlueBook value, or Blackbook value, and such. Here's the law: any item for sale is worth only as much as buyer is willing to pay for it. That being said, you will see references to KBB all over the place, but it means nothing, it's just brainwashed habit. I bought cars on craigslist for almost half of KBB value and still drive one, I sold car on craigslist for 3 times KBB value 4 mths ago.
You have only one rule - CASH TALKS. You have them Benjamens on hand - you the king of the market.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You have only one rule - CASH TALKS. You have them Benjamens on hand - you the king of the market.
^^That means Benjamin Franklin and the $100 note:
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a car in the USA: Best Websites-one-hundred-100-dollar-bill.jpg  

Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,854,274 times
New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com
New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews, Car Finance Advice - Cars.com
New & used cars, trucks, motorcycles, parts, accessories

Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values will provide the market value of the car.

In California, there is a stringent emissions test, so make sure what you buy will pass the state inspection.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:20 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
autotempest

it searches all car sale sites.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
You don't HAVE to be a mechanic with the keen ability to spot troubled cars, but if you can't then you need to know someone who can.

I've had nothing but excelent luck with this MECHANIC finder, so you can look for someone who knows cars for a pre-purchase inspection. Heck, if you contact them before arriving and let them know what you're looking for, you might have the best of all worlds, a private party sale (lower $$$) that's been well kept:

Mechanics Search | Car Talk

Car Talk is a public radio show, they tend to be impartial (thanks to funding via donations and not advertisers) and respected.

But for the specific questions, autotempest searches all the major online private-party (and some dealer) listings. Not always the most up to date, but a good broad search tool. You MAY be able to save a little money by purchasing out of CA, but you need to make sure the vehicle has more than 7500 miles on it to be able to legally bring in into CA.

I can't imagine the number of things to organize for that kind of move (within the country is bad enough), good luck and welcome.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
Default New Local Car Webiste

You can try carwide.com too. They specialize in used cars in fresno.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
If I'm buying used, I only shop the Craigslist classifieds and deal with private party sales.

Stay away from sleazy used car dealers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive