Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 04:46 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
So that is exactly the confirmation of what I thought...the "crisis" is way over hyped by the media...my own experience and others makes me think that the car business is not suffering that much....people hoping for crazy deals because of COVID 19 will be disappointed...
As I said before, the majority of people that are losing their jobs are mainly in retail, they have no business in buying a new car, especially a luxury one. I suspect cheap used cars could be the ones in trouble.
Dealers don't stay in business selling 3-5 cars a day. Maybe Ferrari/Lamborghini dealers, but not Lexus or Mercedes.

Used car lots may very well also be in trouble. They're not as well capitalized and if the used market drops, which apparently it's in a double digit decline in used car values, yeah. If they bought a car at auction for $10,000 they could normally flip for say $15,000 and now they can get $13,000 for it that's obviously hitting their bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 04:53 PM

59 posts, read 92,641 times
Quote:
So that is exactly the confirmation of what I thought...the "crisis" is way over hyped by the media...my own experience and others makes me think that the car business is not suffering that much....people hoping for crazy deals because of COVID 19 will be disappointed...
As I said before, the majority of people that are losing their jobs are mainly in retail, they have no business in buying a new car, especially a luxury one. I suspect cheap used cars could be the ones in trouble.
Huh? Luxury and discretionary businesses are off ~50% of their volume. I guess you’re a ‘glass half full’ kind of person. So the scant buyers are chasing even more scarce supply...

The part you’re missing is supply was already constrained by tariffs and union strikes. Now COVID totally shut factories down. So dealers will hold the line on pricing for the reduced volume. It’s really as simple as that...

Old 04-24-2020, 05:11 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
you are off base here............

Majority of people mainly retail?..........wrong.

I played golf with a dentist that was closed down. I have a neighbor that is a plastic surgeon, closed down. How do you thing stock brokers are doing right now? Realtors? Restaurant/bar owners? Hair salon/stylists closed down? Again, none are retail hourly workers. How about guys that run body shops, nobody driving = less wrecks = less work.

All of the above are clients for new luxury cars. None of which will be buying.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
you are off base here............

Majority of people mainly retail?..........wrong.

I played golf with a dentist that was closed down. I have a neighbor that is a plastic surgeon, closed down. How do you thing stock brokers are doing right now? Realtors? Restaurant/bar owners? Hair salon/stylists closed down? Again, none are retail hourly workers. How about guys that run body shops, nobody driving = less wrecks = less work.

All of the above are clients for new luxury cars. None of which will be buying.
++++++

Just because the dealers aren’t taking your lowball offer for a Trackhawk doesn’t mean the economy isn’t in a massive correction....

Old 04-24-2020, 06:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee13 View Post
++++++

Just because the dealers aren’t taking your lowball offer for a Trackhawk doesn’t mean the economy isn’t in a massive correction....

You call 12% off lowball?? LOL Have you ever actually bought a new car?? You must be the dream customer for dealers.

Other people on this forum are reporting dealers not accepting offers I'm not the only one FYI.....

Old 04-24-2020, 06:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Huh? Luxury and discretionary businesses are off ~50% of their volume. I guess you’re a ‘glass half full’ kind of person. So the scant buyers are chasing even more scarce supply...

The part you’re missing is supply was already constrained by tariffs and union strikes. Now COVID totally shut factories down. So dealers will hold the line on pricing for the reduced volume. It’s really as simple as that...
All the dealers I contacted seems well stocked, supply problems did not arrive few days after lockdown...there are actually cars still on rail carriers being shipped...I know a thing or two about car business and logistics...

Old 04-24-2020, 06:51 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:

hold the line on pricing...........May 1st is next week, you don't sell that new car in the next 3 months it will be called a leftover and you paid the vig on the floorplan. Sell it now, get it off the floorplan and order less inventory for 2021 will be the dealer's gameplan.

Unions/suppliers will be pushing hard to get the factories running again so inventory won't be short. Manufacturers already rolled out the 0% for 84 months (7 YEARS!)........they know trouble is coming down the line.

I know the deals will get better this summer..........the buyer pool has shrunk significantly and used car prices will take a drop when the rental fleets get dumped at the auctions so the manufacturers know they need to make deals for the new stuff.

I currently drive a 2018 Yukon and I am actively looking to buy a 2020 Yukon. I don't love the new 2021s so a 2020 is perfect especially discounted.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:57 PM

Multiple things can be true at once:
1) The economy is in the tank.
2) Dealers are idiots thinking they will skin the cream of the few buyers.
3) Deals will get better this summer when the dealers get desperate and manufacturers put more cash on the hood.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
You call 12% off lowball?? LOL Have you ever actually bought a new car?? You must be the dream customer for dealers.
I stated elsewhere I just bought a new GM SUV. Similar to your situation, specifically equipped at a premium trim level, AWD, specific interior, etc. Unlike your situation, fortunate to have scored one at a 20% discount in early March. But I live in California - buyers have more choices than the ridiculous dealer cartel in Texas.

I’m guessing the trim level you want is on the extremely rare side (mine is a $60k “volume” seller though optioned up), and your local dealers know it. Worse, you could have actually created your own problem by calling around and sparking faux “demand” for your car. It happens.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Dealers don't stay in business selling 3-5 cars a day. Maybe Ferrari/Lamborghini dealers, but not Lexus or Mercedes.

Used car lots may very well also be in trouble. They're not as well capitalized and if the used market drops, which apparently it's in a double digit decline in used car values, yeah. If they bought a car at auction for $10,000 they could normally flip for say $15,000 and now they can get $13,000 for it that's obviously hitting their bottom line.
Sales friend said his Mercedes dealer would average 3-4 cars sold per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive