Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 06:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
All of the manufacturers are running their COVID19 commercials talking about no interest, 84 month financing, and deferred payments. I just watched a Cadillac commercial saying "we've got your back during these uncertain times". Seriously? Who buys a new Cadillac during "uncertain times"?
It might not be uncertain for everyone job wise at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 06:19 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Camrys aren't as reliable anymore? Anyone?
Many new generation Camry owners are experiencing issues with Toyota’s new 8-speed auto.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Use Rent a wreck i guess. I can't even get parts for my 2013 C6 Vette.
Same here. I am in the bodywork stages of a car I am building, and now I have all this time off from work, but the bodyshop supply place is closed down. So I had to order body filler and primer on line.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:35 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What I do not understand is, why are car dealerships even able to stay open now ? How do they pass as an essential business ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Some states have in fact shut down all car sales which IMO is an overreach. People still need to get around. What do you do if your car dies and repair is not practical? Or you're in an accident and your car is totaled? Or your lease is up? I don't think dealerships should necessarily keep their sales floors open for business as usual but there needs to be SOME form of sales channel available to consumers.
As far as service, you would also need the dealer if you have a warranty issue or recall.

For sales, I've noticed a number of dealers in the area advertising "Shop online, and we'll deliver your new vehicle to your door along with all necessary paperwork". Past experience with local dealers has been most haven't been open to online negotiation of pricing & terms--that's something they would only do if the prospect was sitting across the desk in their showroom.

It's crazy right now what businesses are able to operate, and which ones can't. I can't get a haircut, I can't get my tires rotated & balanced at the tire shop where I bought them (they consider that a "non-essential" service). But liquor stores are open for business as usual!.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:49 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
As far as service, you would also need the dealer if you have a warranty issue or recall.
Most, probably close to all, cities and states with shelter-in-place orders have designated car repair shops as essential businesses. Every place I've heard of that has deemed car sales a non-essential business has still allowed dealerships to keep their service bays open.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:50 AM

197 posts, read 235,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What I do not understand is, why are car dealerships even able to stay open now ? How do they pass as an essential business ?
Transportation is almost as necessary to the continuity of society as food. Millions of people still have to drive to work everyday. How could it not be considered essential?

Old 04-07-2020, 05:48 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I will be glad to visit a dealer in August given I am generally at one every day.

Dealer trades happen all the time and that's one way how inventory moves around. In addition, Dealer A may be low on certain models and dealer B may be high, so the Zone Managers can sometimes help facilitate trades between them. Lastly, just because there is a different name/address on the window sticker doesn't mean they aren't related dealers. I am doing work for an 8-dealer group now who has 5 different names among their 8 stores, and there are all kinds of dealer names on vehicles at any given store here, and most customers don't even realize all these stores are owned by the same people. (They have big issues with cross-shopping and getting two of their same dealers fighting over the same customer.)

That being said, no OEM can force a dealer to take a given car without their permission. In addition, an OEM can't remove a car from one dealer's inventory to give to another dealer without permission, either.
.........my mistake on the "zone manager" vs. OEM.

The manufacturer wants to move inventory, no sense in an up north dealer getting stuck with convertibles in December and a Florida dealer getting stuck with a fleet of 4wd pickups in June! So it would be in their best interest to move the inventory to where it sells the best.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:03 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
All car service business are open here either private or dealerships. You can purchase cars online. People are purchasing because A) they need a car B) good deals C)their leases are ending.

Cars are selling everyday here in CO. Lexus has halted production until the 20th.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:20 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Isn't the same issue affecting another model besides just the Camry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Many new generation Camry owners are experiencing issues with Toyota’s new 8-speed auto.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:31 PM

19 posts, read 12,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
But liquor stores are open for business as usual!.
That's the thing with alcohol, so many people are addicted to it they depend on liquor stores being open or they might die.
India shut down their liquor stores and look what happened: https://www.news18.com/news/india/am...s-2561191.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive