Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 08:57 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
A Kia? A Hyundai? A Subaru Forester? Not exactly status symbols, just the hot item of the moment.

RE G-Wagons, I'd have to imagine a huge amount of the ones sold are sold before their built; someone comes in and puts a deposit down, says "I want it in Silver with Mocha leather," two months later gets his car.
Not even close. I drive a G Wagon so I am frequently on the Mercedes forums. People ordering them are waiting at least a year, and more often, a year and a half.

If you want to buy one off the lot at a dealer, you can expect to pay at least $30K over MSRP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 06:18 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post

Well, my reply is the same as the old priest character on Saturday night live used to say about the pope commenting on birth control. “ the pope no play the game, the pope no make the rules”
Believe it or not, that was actually Earl Butz, the Secretary of Agriculture, who was appointed by Nixon and stayed on under Ford.

What got him fired was an even more offensive comment.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:56 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Dealers are still having a hard time keeping Civic type R's in stock with many charging ADMs.. The Veloster N with PP is hard for them to keep on the lot as well.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:16 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Not even close. I drive a G Wagon so I am frequently on the Mercedes forums. People ordering them are waiting at least a year, and more often, a year and a half.

If you want to buy one off the lot at a dealer, you can expect to pay at least $30K over MSRP.
Old G's are still worth a ton of $$$.
I love 'em. It also helps that the body style doesn't change... an older one still looks pretty much like a newer one.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:54 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

That's my point; You don't buy one off the lot normally. You order it. The dealership logs it into their inventory but it's never really for sale as it's been spoken for, the buyer comes in a few days after it's come in.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:28 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's my point; You don't buy one off the lot normally. You order it. The dealership logs it into their inventory but it's never really for sale as it's been spoken for, the buyer comes in a few days after it's come in.
Yes, for the most part. Usually, when a dealer has one, it is because somebody ordered it and didn’t take ownership for whatever reason. Mercedes of Manhattan is the only dealership in the country that is actually owned and operated by Mercedes Benz, and if you wanted to buy one off the lot, from what I am told, they usually have a couple that were made on spec. <edit>. Just looked. They dont. Just a couple of pre owned.

Not too long ago, a lot of people on the forums were complaining because there have been 2 price increases in the last year, so if you ordered it before both increases, and you didn’t get it until after the 2 price increases, then you could be on the hook for $7,000 more (or somewhere around there) than you bargained for.

At the time, a lot of people were pretty angry, and claiming they were not going to take ownership. In the contract with Mercedes, the buyer is responsible to pay any price increases that might occur before they take ownership. But from what they were saying, most dealers are happy to give them their security deposits back, so they can keep the car and sell it to someone else for a lot more money.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 04-13-2020 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-13-2020, 10:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I appreciate a car as BASIC transportation. Point A To Point B and back reliably. AND I DO enjoy driving. BUT all the bells and whistles available today? Forget it.
I'm with you. If I were wealthy? Sure, then I'd be willing to pay more for a vehicle. But as solid member of the middle-class, I'm very happy with my little Honda Fit. I'd rather spend the difference on travel.

I'm another poster who's been looking to trade my current Fit (2009) for a newer model. But as soon as dealers get them, especially if they're in good shape, with reasonably mileage and pre-owned by non-smokers, they're very difficult to snag.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-13-2020 at 10:17 PM..

Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
[quote=k350;57796705]

If you are not into cars, then why the hell you on this forum?

I am not into movies, I am not on that forum tlkaing about "why waste time watching a movie, go outside and enjoy the world".

Cars for many people, the majority, have never been regarding as a utilitarian, point A to B machine. With the exception of an RR, Bentley or something, most cars are far from being a status symbol of any kind.[/QUOTE
That is just my point k350 I am into cars. I love them. However as an older guy living on a fixed income there is no way in hell I am going to buy a NEW car ever again. Fifty years ago I loved tooling around in my 1968 Vette with the top down and going through the gears and listening to that big 427 humming along. I loved it and all it had was a heater, no radio, no fancy doodads and all the crap that most cars have on them today. Just pure driving pleasure. If you want a Lazy Boy on wheels buy one of the pieces of crap on the market today.

Currently I am putting together a 1953 Studebaker pickup. Not a car but all I need. What I wanted when I was in my twenties was PURE POWER and good handling. I no longer have the quick reflexes or co-ordination to handle a vehicle like my old Vette but I definitely do enjoy driving. If I want to listen to music while relaxing in a comfortable chair I do that at my home, not on wheels.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you own one basic gun with no extras and if so, which make and model. A hi point?
Now that you mention it slowdodge I do own several guns but the one I use about 99% of the time is my trusted Ruger 10/22 with iron sights. I have several very nice and valuable guns I keep locked in my vault, but the little 10/22 is the one I like best. Cheap, faithful and reliable. Just like the women I prefer.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
A/C is seen as a status symbol? Do people you know really say, "Oooooh. Look at you in your fancy new car with A/C"?
A/C in Nebraska yes/no? Not for me. I prefer doing without. Now if I lived in a hot/humid swamp area I would have it.

i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive