Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:47 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Reminded me of the movie "Duel" with Dennis Weaver. We had someone who had a rear side window busted out by a chunk of asphalt while driving on the highway. It came from someone using a mower behind tractor on the shoulder.
Crazy, keep you on the edge of your seat flick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 05:21 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Crazy, keep you on the edge of your seat flick.
I agree. I recall reading the original "short story" that the movie was based on. It was published in an issue of 'Playboy' magazine, 2-3 years before it was made into a movie.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:05 AM

586 posts, read 314,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Do you guys save up for till the windshield is a complete hazard and about to fall on you?

It won't fall in on you, but sooner or later the crack will expand, either slowly or precipitously. Best to fix it ASAP on your schedule rather than on an emergency basis.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:33 PM

87 posts, read 491,495 times
A few random thoughts.....

Glass in motor vehicles has to meet the standards of ANSI Z26.1 - SAFETY GLAZING MATERIALS FOR GLAZING MOTOR VEHICLES AND MOTOR VEHICLE EQUIPMENT OPERATING ON LAND HIGHWAYS - SAFETY STANDARD.

There are over 20 different specifications (based on specific testing requirements) that determine where glass is allowed to be used in ANY motor vehicle. These specifications are referred to as AS or Automotive Standard.

Windshields are required to meet the requirements of AS1. AS1 is ALWAYS laminated glass. No non-laminated glass can pass the testing requirement for windshields. Some people (including the occasional windshield installer) will say that windshields are tempered/laminated glass hybrid, but that's wrong. Tempered glass is never allowed to be used in a windshield, laminated or not, because of how it breaks.

Glass thickness is not specified in the Z26 requirements as long as the glass can pass the testing, Although there are practical limits, windshields really are thinner than they used to be, in part to reduce the weight of the glass as a part of better glass mileage requirements.

And as with many other products, windshields used in cars manufactured in USA used to be manufactured in USA as well. However for the most part that is no longer the case. As i recall (and I may be out-of-date since I am retired and no longer working in the glass industry), while there was still a small percentage of windshields being produced in North America, strictly for OEM install, ALL replacement windshields come from China and have for many years.

If you are curious, you can look at the logo on your car windows...windshields will have AS1 listed, while side windows are AS2, and rear window require at least AS3...and while it is okay to use AS1 approved glass in an AS2 location, or use AS1 or AS2 in an AS3 application, you can't turn that around and use an AS2 in a location that requires AS1 glass.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:06 PM

292 posts, read 428,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I have a big hairline cracked windshield running about 6 inches above the hood 3/4 out of the across the windshield. It does look ghetto to drive with it but just curious how many people here paid hundreds to fix a windshield crack than just a short time later get a worse or similar crack.

Do you guys save up for till the windshield is a complete hazard and about to fall on you?

Or does the sight of a cracked windshield look so terrible you just have to get it repaired??

I got two cracks in just two days!

I also replaced my windshield then got another crack in a hail storm 6 months later.

Fortunately, AAA pays my $50 deductible, and the auto glass company I uses also pays me $50.

Foy last crack, I had to go with insurance because the dealer glass cost $1,200 and there was no aftermarket part available, since the car was so new.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:03 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
Living in Wyoming cracked windshields are a way of life. Everyone here has them. Our winters are rough, our roads are rough, it doesn't take much before some rock hits your windshield yet again and cracks it. Happens every year. We've gotten our windshield replaced once, when the crack had finally migrated to the driver's side and was causing an issue seeing out. This was after well over a year of driving with a crack. My car got hit by a rock on our drive to Idaho and we took it right in to safety glass and they put something on the pit to stop of from spreading, and it's been two years later and it's exactly the same.

I think it depends on where you live and what the roads are like, and what the laws are. Here there's no point to rush out and replace a windshield, it's just going to get a crack again before you know it.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I have waited yrs to get a new windshield (putting it off), only to take a rock on the way home from the shop (with my new windshield)

The CLEAR glass is awesome, while it lasts (no pits from sand storms)

I get about 3 windshields / yr on various cars and trucks. Currently have (5) cracked / needing repair... Not NOW... saving cash for food and ammo.

Do be advised that certain cars REQUIRE no cracks in windshield for occupant safety (intact windshield is integral to strength of vehicle / occupant protection in case of an accident.)

Usually the 'rule' is no cracks / pits within wiper travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive