Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:15 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times

Advertisements

I had a slight leak prior to taking my car to the shop...a slight leak...I was told I needed a new radiator, 489 dollars later I drive home only to wake up the following morning with a big oil stain in my drive way, that I NEVER had before.

A buddy of mine who lives in another state tried telling me about how its possible that "trapped air can go into the radiator, then pressure is released".do a pressure test blah blah blah, as if it might not be an issue and to fill up the coolant reservoir again then see if it comes out again.

My question is for the mechanics on the forum, is it common for a radiator to be replaced because of a coolant leak issue, then the coolant leaks comes out because of "overflowing air pressure" one time, then after that its no issue.

This car is a Toyota Camry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 11:34 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
No, what color is the fluid?

If reddish then it is transmission fluid from the transmission cooling lines.

The pressure story is not real, also if it was real, you would have a coolant leak, not oil.

Take the car back to whoever worked on it. Most decent shops would stand behind their work. Stuff happens.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:53 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Just go back to the shop and let them check on the problem. It could be something related, or unrelated. Yes, most shops would stand behind their work.

Was the work done by your trusted shop/mechanic?

Old 04-10-2020, 11:56 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
They should have bled the system properly. That would eliminate any 'air' concerns.

But.. There's a number of things. I mean, not tightening the drain back up fully on the new radiator.. Personally, I would say they should have replaced the hoses, but if they didn't.. It wouldn't be unheard of for a hose to spring a leak after it's been moved around while replacing the radiator.

I wouldn't sweat it, but yes, I'd certainly take it back and they should be more than happy to give it a look over.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:26 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They should have bled the system properly. That would eliminate any 'air' concerns.

But.. There's a number of things. I mean, not tightening the drain back up fully on the new radiator.. Personally, I would say they should have replaced the hoses, but if they didn't.. It wouldn't be unheard of for a hose to spring a leak after it's been moved around while replacing the radiator.

I wouldn't sweat it, but yes, I'd certainly take it back and they should be more than happy to give it a look over.
I replaced a radiator on a car and they also replaced all the hoses. They had done quite a bit of other work so asked me to bring the car back for a checkover after driving the first 100 miles. Discovered one of the brand new hoses was bulging and about to burst. The hose had a thin clean slice in it...most likely from the box knife used to open the box from the parts supplyhouse. Things happen.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:46 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
I just had the radiator in my 67 Firebird replaced. Now I have a coolant leak from the heater core coming in the passenger's footwell. I'm guessing that the increased flow through the new radiator made the old heater core spring a leak. It doesn't start leaking immediately on start-up, it has to run for a while before it starts to drip.

Anybody else want to hazard a guess?

Old 04-10-2020, 01:10 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I just had the radiator in my 67 Firebird replaced. Now I have a coolant leak from the heater core coming in the passenger's footwell. I'm guessing that the increased flow through the new radiator made the old heater core spring a leak. It doesn't start leaking immediately on start-up, it has to run for a while before it starts to drip.

I think you have a pretty fair grasp on it. I mean, we could piddle over details that we couldn't know the answer to until you pulled it and looked at where it was leaking. But.. I don't see a point in that.

even when you're properly bleeding air out of the system.. Ever hook up a new garden hose? How much that thing will kick around in your hand as it's pushing the air out? And it's under much less pressure than your car cooling system. Air bubbles start kicking around in a high pressure system.. It can finish off previously borderline parts.

Well, that, and flushing out the system.. Sometimes rust is the only thing holding it together in the first place.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:22 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

It is not due to increased flow through the radiator. It is either coincidence or a pressure test of the cooling system was all it took to make a decrepit heater core fail.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:01 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
It is a pressurized system. You have to fix the most apparent problem to see if there's anything else lying underneath.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:52 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Pinpointing the EXACT location/cause of the leak should be done before replacing anything.

Air in the radiator could cause bubbling into the coolant-bottle for a while, but the system should bleed-out the air over time. Air causing a leak, hum, no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive