Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:27 PM

77 posts, read 41,985 times

Advertisements

JaxRhapsody - You are in great company!:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/u...ronavirus.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 07:56 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Don't go to any show that can't figure out simple distancing.
If I saw such a poorly organized event, I'd just turn around and leave. Problem solved.

Actually, that show shouldn't be allowed to happen in the first place. Mandated spacing is key.
Post the rules at the entranceFollow the guidelines, or you're asked to leave.
There's no reason they can't limit the number of attendees, either. If a grocery store can do it, car show can do it.

Lots of times I like to just sit and chill out behind the car on a nice day and soak in the sunshine.
I talk to a lot of people and I'm perfectly capable of doing it from two arms lengths away.
Well that may work out for the tiny shows you go to, but not the big ones here. Trust me they are very well organized, more so than the little one you go to. They have to be to be allowed to to exist . They have lots of workers manning the entry in a large parking lot at a large mall. You probably can’t imagine a show that large. You have people walking in from 270 degrees.
Ours regularly have 2000 cars and 15,000 people. That’s different than having a hundred cars a small parking lot that might be easier to monitor.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:02 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
Quote:
There used to be a row of Model T's at the car shows but now they're few and far between.
Most of the ones that are left are driven by 80-somethings that owned one when they were young.

I assume that most of the owners have passed but since I assume they didn't get buried in their cars.
Makes me wonder what happened to 'em. IMO, 50's cars will be the next to begin to disappear.
My good friend has a 1919 Model T. It's kinda special. Belonged to his Grandpa. Grandpa bought it new back then and all the paperwork still exists.
A few years ago he (my friend, not Grandpa) dug it out of the barn and restored it. When going to local car shows I meet him at his house and he drives the T to the show and I follow behind him. 35 mph top speed, 40 down hill and it looks like he's hanging on for dear life. Fun!

Old 04-15-2020, 02:35 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well that may work out for the tiny shows you go to, but not the big ones here. Trust me they are very well organized, more so than the little one you go to. They have to be to be allowed to to exist . They have lots of workers manning the entry in a large parking lot at a large mall. You probably can’t imagine a show that large. You have people walking in from 270 degrees.
Ours regularly have 2000 cars and 15,000 people. That’s different than having a hundred cars a small parking lot that might be easier to monitor.
Those shows are gonna be toast for the foreseeable future. Kiss 'em goodbye.

It's really very simple to put on a car show safely.
The president of my club is already put out the following ideas to keep the season alive.

Our shows will be limited to around 150 cars.
That leaves enough room for double spacing (parking space in between).
Cars will be counted at the entrance. When capacity is reached, they block it off.

Attendees will expected to observe the government's social distancing guidelines.

So, get used to the small show because that's probably all there are going to be. I happen to like 'em, so I'm ready to go.
Heck, one of my favorite cruise-ins (they put it on the 3rd Tuesday in May, June, July and August) has 40 cars on its best day.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-15-2020 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 02:45 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,404,637 times
i am not a micro biologist, nor do i play one on tv, but, i do believe, this too shall pass.

will i attend the big annual, week long car show and swap meet on fathers day week this year, maybe. next year, absolutely!

Old 04-15-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Those shows are gonna be toast for the foreseeable future. Kiss 'em goodbye.

It's really very simple to put on a car show safely.
The president of my club is already put out the following ideas to keep the season alive.

Our shows will be limited to around 150 cars.
That leaves enough room for double spacing (parking space in between).
Cars will be counted at the entrance. When capacity is reached, they block it off.

Attendees will expected to observe the government's social distancing guidelines.

So, get used to the small show because that's probably all there are going to be. I happen to like 'em, so I'm ready to go.
Heck, one of my favorite cruise-ins (they put it on the 3rd Tuesday in May, June, July and August) has 40 cars on its best day.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the small show. I'm just saying you are making it sound like it's easy to set up those parameters on a big show. It's not. As far as small shows they don't exist here. No one wants to bother with it. The exception was one here that was put on the same time as the big show that was smaller, but it was in an open lot in a shopping center. Not sure how they will do it or if it's possible to keep people 6 feet away. We have a little gtg , not a car show with about 15 to 25 cars tops, but that has been shut down. It was held before the stores opened up for the most part so crowds weren't an issue

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-16-2020, 12:50 AM

The president of my club already has a viable plan in motion.
I see no reason why it won't work, so I expect to have car shows this summer.

The other small town shows have a good chance of going off as planned.
So I'm looking forward to a few road trips to friendly small-town Iowa.
Some of these towns have a population of just a few hundred people. When you drive by they wave at you.

All of the shows/photos you showed... yeah, you can forget about that.
Those are way too close together, they'll need to figure out a way to spread out and maintain distance.
Even out here in Podunk, IA, failure to distance has become socially unacceptable. Masks are everywhere.

Show organizers need to do some outside the box thinking or it's going to be a long, hot, boring car-less summer.
In a COVID-19 world, the status quo is not gonna fly unless you want to gain the attention of the authorities and/or the media.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-16-2020 at 01:22 AM..

Old 04-16-2020, 12:58 AM

Our shows are all meant to be on a larger scale. I’m not sure of the financial setup, but a small show wouldn’t make much sense to put on. I anticipate the cancellation of all shows as long as the virus is around.i can’t see how they could possibly enforce social distancing.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
This crap is making wimps out of everybody. I'm effing tired of it.
today's covid stats...(this is not over yet...)
Today (15 April 2020) in ONE day

USA has 30,206 NEW cases(37% of China total for 4 months...) 2,482 deaths (75% of China total for 4 months...)= 86 deaths/m
China for last 4 months+ (reported(?)) 82,295 TOTAL cases 3,326 Deaths (Total) = 2 deaths / m

I would guess you will have better chances at a car show in China than USA (if they would allow you in)
I'm not fond of China car shows (usually exotic Euro stuff we cannot get in USA ), but I like their truck and bus events (heavy, HEAVY duty iron).
Taiwan, even better! (They have much more 'creative' motorheads and access to modifications than China. )

If you like vintage American Muscle Cars and NICE shows... ... book your trip to NZ and Australia for next winter. It will be a good place to 'hide-out' (if they allow you in...) Chances are NOT without a vaccine and a 'quick test'. (available today EXCEPT in USA (kinda like nice performance production cars of the world)
Many car shows at weekly A&P's (county fairs)
and many museums!
Australia & New Zealand | Motor-Museums.com
Nearly Every NZ / AU Sheep farmer has a barn full of USA muscle cars!

Covid ain't going away anytime soon. Seemed to thrive fine in tropical Thailand and Singapore.

In USA... it is better that we NOT know (a lot like China).

Old 04-16-2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Our shows are all meant to be on a larger scale. I’m not sure of the financial setup, but a small show wouldn’t make much sense to put on. I anticipate the cancellation of all shows as long as the virus is around.i can’t see how they could possibly enforce social distancing.
Where there's a will there's a way.
There is no financial set up. You set up a parking lot, take donations at the entrance (we average over 5 bucks) and enforce distancing.
Set up a DJ (we have a sound trailer), a couple of porta-potties, invite some food trucks and voila... you've got a car show.

It's not rocket science. Our club doesn't need a whole lot of notice to set something up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive