Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 03:27 AM

5,176 posts, read 6,136,412 times

Advertisements

CV19 is going to produce a tremendous amount of trickle down impacts.

There are numerous large scale automotive events throughout the year in the US.

Just to name a few:

Mopar Nationals at Carlisle
Hot August Nights in Reno
Pebble Beach Concours D Elegance
Corvette Nationals
Detroit Auto Show.....cancelled. This is a big one!
Mecum auto auctions

These are just a few. This affects auto transport company’s, vendors, hotels, charitable organizations.
A lot of people plan their vacations around these shows.

Our regional BMW club does a Blue Ridge tour in the fall with close to fifty cars, while small we do pre advance restaurant reservations for that weekend so that everyone can be together. The host hotel is a small one and the parking lot becomes a very tight intimate car show.

The Amelia Island Concours D Elegance was lucky to pull their show off as it was the weekend before SHTF with the virus. Over the years this event has raised close to 4 million dollars that benefit so many local charities.

The little Cars and Coffee outings will survive, the big ones affected this summer are going affect a lot of people financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 04:54 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
We have seen even at a big park people still gathered in groups, to say it won't happen at a car show is ludicrous.

Those looking to open things up soon should really take a look at what happened in Japan once they opened. The numbers spiked.

We are all giving up things we love at this time. Deal with it and save lives.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:01 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Where there's a will there's a way.
There is no financial set up. You set up a parking lot, take donations at the entrance (we average over 5 bucks) and enforce distancing.
Set up a DJ (we have a sound trailer), a couple of porta-potties, invite some food trucks and voila... you've got a car show.

It's not rocket science. Our club doesn't need a whole lot of notice to set something up.
Again you keep looking at car shows from just you little show point of view. I’m just mentioning it doesn’t work like that on a bigger basis. So I guess someone in your club owns a vacant lot that is fenced off so you can keep everyone and their cars out unless you let them in? Then instead of you sitting on a chair by your car you all will be walking around enforcing social distancing, someone has to do that.when people don’t distance what are you going to do? Physically force them out?

Old 04-16-2020, 08:10 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Here in Canada ALL of the race tracks, drag strips, car shows and such have been cancelled until next year. The cities are enforcing a limit of 5 persons at any time in public , OR get a $1000 ticket.

Any nonessential business that is found to be open... A $5000 fine for the owner/manager, and $1000 for any person found inside the business.

For repeat offenders...…..30 days in jail.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:00 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Again you keep looking at car shows from just you little show point of view. I’m just mentioning it doesn’t work like that on a bigger basis. So I guess someone in your club owns a vacant lot that is fenced off so you can keep everyone and their cars out unless you let them in? Then instead of you sitting on a chair by your car you all will be walking around enforcing social distancing, someone has to do that.when people don’t distance what are you going to do? Physically force them out?
Yeah, we actually do rope off the lot. There is one entrance where money is collected.
It's not that hard to social distance when people know they're supposed to do it.
If they can do it at a grocery store they can certainly do it at a car show.

If someone got belligerent at a show, it wouldn't be the first time. People have ended up in the back of squad cars before.

Anyway, It looks like it's going to be pretty boring over in your neck of the woods this year, since no one knows how to put on a small event safely.
But I think we'll be fine out here in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Mopar Nationals at Carlisle
Merkur Club of America has their annual event at the Carlisle All-Ford Nationals. Looks like that's right out.
It's ok though... I fly the National club flag at all Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owners Association events.
Every event I attend is a Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owners Association event since I'm the only member. I was even unanimously elected President!

Last edited by eaton53; 04-16-2020 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-22-2020, 12:32 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,524 times
Yep, no Sunday mornings at Gateway beach for me for a while.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:51 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
A very small on in Idaho a few days ago.....
https://localnews8.com/news/local-ne...-conversation/

Old 04-22-2020, 05:49 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here in Canada ALL of the race tracks, drag strips, car shows and such have been cancelled until next year. The cities are enforcing a limit of 5 persons at any time in public , OR get a $1000 ticket.

Any nonessential business that is found to be open... A $5000 fine for the owner/manager, and $1000 for any person found inside the business.

For repeat offenders...…..30 days in jail.
That's absolutely terrible news. For the racers, they have a tremendous amount of money tied up in their machinery to begin with, and given the timing of this situation, most of the racers had already spent $$$$ getting their cars ready for the 2020 season. Now the cars will just sit. And here in western NY, many of the race tracks are hanging on by a thread, as it is, between the dwindling fan base, and the constant attacks by the "neighbors" of these tracks, over the noise that's generated, so this could be the final "nail in the coffin" for some of the tracks.

On a side note, I've never understood how people could build their "dream home" in the 1960s, just down the road from an automobile race track that had been in existence since the 1940s, then complain about the noise.....

Old 04-30-2020, 09:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12334 View Post
I am a Car restorer / collector and I enjoy going
to the local neighborhood car shows in my area
with the current Virus were having to deal with
I can understand the social gathering issues of A ball game
or movie theatre or other row after row of people.
narrow pathways to enter and exit But a parking lot show!
A car show in an open parking lot!
you display the car, talk to other car people and
answer questions about your ride. ask questions
about their ride and so on ALL can be done at a
safe distance. Kids especially enjoy seeing the
cars and asking questions. I can't wait for this
Virus crap to end.
For over 30 years , my two sons and I have been going to Turkey Run in Daytona, Fl for the annual car show. It looks like it will not happen this year, and I really am going to miss it. I do not normally go to local car events, I find them boring , but I did attend one a few months ago and enjoyed it a lot.

For me, my cars were made to drive, that is what I enjoy doing the most with them.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,322,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
For over 30 years , my two sons and I have been going to Turkey Run in Daytona, Fl for the annual car show. It looks like it will not happen this year, and I really am going to miss it. I do not normally go to local car events, I find them boring , but I did attend one a few months ago and enjoyed it a lot.

For me, my cars were made to drive, that is what I enjoy doing the most with them.

For me, if I drive them to and from the shows, I get to enjoy them BOTH ways, which is even better for me. For example, our local club will put on tours that start near Baltimore and tour fun backroads over to Summit Point in WV for a track day and show, then tour back. And I get to enjoy other people's cars, which you often can't do otherwise, and get ideas for my own. It's also fun chatting with people about their cars, which you can't usually do when you're only driving around in your own car. So that's another bonus for me.

As I mentioned before, there's anywhere from 300-500 cars on any given weekend at our local events and they are mostly different every event, so it's fun seeing a variety of cars, from street rods to exotics to classic American and classic Euro/Japanese cars too. Track cars and street cars. Even a British tank occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive