Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 07:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

In high school I bought a 1970 slant 6 Plymouth Valiant for $800.

It was my daily driver for 22 years... oil changes, a couple of batteries, tires and brake pads/shoes...

Maybe it didn't know it wasn't suppose to be reliable?

In 1980 I rebuilt a 1968 289 Mustang for my 16 year old brother... he drove it 34 years and sold it to a guy in New Zealand for 8500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 09:23 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Lost manufacturing jobs won't come back to the US. They will go to low-labor cost countries like Vietnam, India, African countries. Guess which country has strong presence in those countries already? That's right, China. The product you buy might say "Made in India" but it might be made by a Chinese company operating in India.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But (no pun intended!!), the real question is why the demand??? Last I knew, the coronavirus doesn't cause mass episodes of diarrhea, so why are people unhappy if the don't have at least 25 rolls, in their closet??
It's different types of toilet paper produced for consumer and commercial use and the distribution agreements for each type are totally different.

https://marker.medium.com/what-every...e-c812e1358fe0

Old 04-16-2020, 05:52 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It's different types of toilet paper produced for consumer and commercial use and the distribution agreements for each type are totally different.

https://marker.medium.com/what-every...e-c812e1358fe0

You're missing my point....I've been shopping in the same grocery store, for the last 30 years. There's NEVER been a shortage of TP in that store, for all those years. All of a sudden, the US is stricken with a viral pandemic, and people suddenly see a need to stock up on TP???? What have they been doing for the last 30 years, using up their old Sears and Montgomery-Wards catalogs?

Old 04-16-2020, 06:03 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
You're missing my point....I've been shopping in the same grocery store, for the last 30 years. There's NEVER been a shortage of TP in that store, for all those years. All of a sudden, the US is stricken with a viral pandemic, and people suddenly see a need to stock up on TP???? What have they been doing for the last 30 years, using up their old Sears and Montgomery-Wards catalogs?
People became irrational, and bought the stuff they think would be hard to get, and bought enough to last 6 months. Once that started, the herd mentality kicked in, and more folks overbought. None of them had a clue as to how much TP they actually use. The good news is that Costco and others won't take it back once things move towards normality, so the overbuyers will be stuck with piles of the stuff in their garages..

Old 04-16-2020, 06:30 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
People became irrational, and bought the stuff they think would be hard to get, and bought enough to last 6 months. Once that started, the herd mentality kicked in, and more folks overbought. None of them had a clue as to how much TP they actually use. The good news is that Costco and others won't take it back once things move towards normality, so the overbuyers will be stuck with piles of the stuff in their garages..
^^ This.

TP, paper towels, et al are things people have control over. Stocking up on that stuff allows people to fee safe. Even though I have plenty of both, I still go through that aisle when at the grocery store to see if I can get more. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
They had been using the toilet, say, 80% at home and 20% outside the home and toilet paper manufacturers had produced accordingly. And the nature of that market is that it’s harder to switch to making toilet paper for a 95% home use and 5% outside home use than people realize due to manufacturing and supply chain issues.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:19 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Lost manufacturing jobs won't come back to the US. They will go to low-labor cost countries like Vietnam, India, African countries.
The US manufacturers more per capita than ever before, but with fewer employees. Automation is what keeps jobs from coming back. And they never will, no one will give up efficiency for employing expensive fleshy bits.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I absolutely love that. I can imagine the indignant Costco member trying to return half pallet of TP and threatening to cancel their membership and I can only hope the manager grabs their member card cuts it up and says the exit door is to the left. Bu-bye.

The only thing that would be the icing on the cake is them coming on here to whine. Christ I’ll probably get banned for a few weeks after I respond to that post.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:38 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Also to add, watch for counterfeit OEM parts on EBay. It’s really bad but eBay won’t do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive