U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:25 AM

545 posts, read 1,913,085 times

Advertisements

The car is a Hyundai Tiberon which uses a timing 'belt' . I didnt get the old belt back from them . Cost was $385 installed. Car has 89,000 miles on it and suggested replacement was to have been at 60,000 miles according to Hyundai. Is there any way of determining if they actually DID replace it ...any telltale clues ??? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM

545 posts, read 1,913,085 times
I might add, that, the work was done by an independent Service Station, and not at Hyundai.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:10 PM

2,937 posts, read 3,430,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
The car is a Hyundai Tiberon which uses a timing 'belt' . I didnt get the old belt back from them . Cost was $385 installed. Car has 89,000 miles on it and suggested replacement was to have been at 60,000 miles according to Hyundai. Is there any way of determining if they actually DID replace it ...any telltale clues ??? Thanks.
You should have asked to see the parts before you paid. I just had the timing belt changed on my Honda Accord, and my mechanic had the old parts there to show me when I came to pick the car up. I didn't even have to ask to see them, he voluntarily kept the old parts. Otherwise, unless you're a mechanic, I'm not so sure you can really tell if they changed it. On the Honda, you can't see the timing belt by just lifting the hood.

Hyundai calls for a timing belt change at 60,000 miles?? Wow. Honda calls for timing belt change at 105,000.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM

9,529 posts, read 29,109,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
Tough one, IbeDavid.

Most states have laws requiring repair shops to return all replaced parts to the customer. Unfortunately, many of us would have no clue if the part was actually from our vehicle but . . . in the perfect world.

Otherwise and if you're in doubt, I would check with the local Hyundai Dealer.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,377,933 times
Good advice above! IbeDavid, the only thing I'd add to this is you might want to consider whether the shop you used is worth going back to. Do they have BBB complaints lodged against them? Do others you know recommend them? A lttle research will net you a good repair shop. And when you find one, reward them with ALL your business! (I'm fortunate to have an honest, competent repair shop nearby and we've used them ever since the first time we used them. And it's been WELL worth it. Best of luck!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,539,523 times
typically timing belts are replaced when they start to fray. you look at the belt and see fraying along the edges of the belt, you may have got hosed.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:48 PM

2,937 posts, read 3,430,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
typically timing belts are replaced when they start to fray. you look at the belt and see fraying along the edges of the belt, you may have got hosed.

You usually don't want to wait until there is visible fraying of the belt. With timing belt replacement, its best to go strictly by what the manufacturer recommends, because if you wait too long, and the belt snaps, you could do some major engine damage. I know with Honda engines, if the belt breaks, the engine may be toast.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:59 PM

891 posts, read 1,664,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I think you may be confusing the timing belt with other accessory belts. It is typical to replace accessory belts (power steering, alternator, A/C, etc.) when they fray. It's usually realtively cheap, easy, and if one goes when you are on the road, no significant damage is usaully done. On the other hand. with a timing belt, if the internal cords are going, you still may not see damage on the outside. If the belt breaks, depending upon the type of engine it is, you can do significant engine damage, they will lead to very costly repairs. I strongly do not recommend waiting until you see fraying on a timing belt to replace it. Particularly since almost no one regularly inspects a timing belt as in some cars it is not easy to get to, or certinaly not easy to see the whole thing.

As far as the origal question, someone can probably access the timing belt (probably requires removal of an egine cover, and a timing belt cover) to determine if it is new part. Usually, an independant station will use aftermarky, and not OEM parts, you may be able to see a difference on the belt.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:04 PM

3,533 posts, read 11,833,504 times
a way you can tell if the job was done , look around the area of the timing cover and see if there are any shiny edges on nuts bolts or screws they might have had to undue to replace it. there are always tell tail signs to see weather or not the work was done. if you would like more help with this i will answer any questions you might have.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM

9,529 posts, read 29,109,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
a way you can tell if the job was done , look around the area of the timing cover and see if there are any shiny edges on nuts bolts or screws they might have had to undue to replace it. there are always tell tail signs to see weather or not the work was done. if you would like more help with this i will answer any questions you might have.
Great points and advice, JFRRACING

Unfortunately, some unethical mechanics are aware and pull stunts to duplicate those check points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive