Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 01:50 PM

13,579 posts, read 9,601,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
...I thought Carlos did a good job explaining why he prefers a manual gearbox even over a PDK.
The gentleman is absolutely right. But more importantly, he is driving a performance-car, that has been optimized to be successful for performance-purposes, with both the manual and the automatic. Importantly, the automatic has performance-oriented features, such as launch control. Those features are going to be more consistent and more efficient than even the best human driver.

Now let's step back from performance cars.

An older automatic at least had the “feature” where the brake and gas could be held at the same time, revving the engine. That enables a burnout – or if luckier, a strong launch. A modern non-performance automatic don’t do that. It won’t rev past some minimal point. In my Camry, I can hold both pedals depressed, but the rpms might top-out at something like 1800. There is no advantage to trying to be cure to game the computer. The computer will always win.

The point is that a manual transmission allows the aggressive driver to extract maximum performance from a car that’s relatively slow, poorly built, not suited to performance, or any combination of the above. With a manual transmission, it is possible to make an old Opel or Corolla burn rubber (at least on one tire), despite having all of 70 hp. Can’t do that with an automatic.

But back to the modern era. There I am, sitting with my 268 hp V6. It’s a beautiful engine, stout and throaty. But it and its transmission are automatically controlled, programmed to do very different things, from what I’d like to do. And there ain’t a darn thing that I can do about it. Frustrating, no?

Old 04-16-2020, 02:25 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,437,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

The point is that a manual transmission allows the aggressive driver to extract maximum performance from a car that’s relatively slow, poorly built, not suited to performance, or any combination of the above. With a manual transmission, it is possible to make an old Opel or Corolla burn rubber (at least on one tire), despite having all of 70 hp. Can’t do that with an automatic.

But back to the modern era. There I am, sitting with my 268 hp V6. It’s a beautiful engine, stout and throaty. But it and its transmission are automatically controlled, programmed to do very different things, from what I’d like to do. And there ain’t a darn thing that I can do about it. Frustrating, no?
Yet you have cars like Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, Mustangs, etc with manual gearbox dating all the way back to the 60s. I do agree about slow cars having a manual gearbox over a automatic. I drive a MK 4 Golf with a five speed. It’s the standard 2.0 N/A engine. 115 horsepower less then that at the wheels. The gearing is VERY tight and it’s always in it’s power band and so it feels MUCH faster then it really is.

My wife’s car was hit from behind a few weeks ago tore her bumper right off. They gave her a 17 or 18 Camry to drive it had the paddle shifters on it and the four banger. Fun little car would of been more fun with a manual gearbox though.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 PM

1,361 posts, read 546,152 times
I've driven sticks over the years... but when I bought my 2015 Challenger RT I researched it and the 8 speed automatic had rave reviews... and still does.

5 years and 48k miles later no regrets passing on the 6 speed manual. These 400 horses can still scoot...

Old 04-16-2020, 03:09 PM

9,898 posts, read 5,565,411 times
Quote:
He’s not talking about a PDK or a DCT . He’s talking about the Tiptronic transmissions which was slightly better then a standard transmission. They still didn’t offer the control of a good manual gearbox.
Hate to break it to you but the 7-speed transmission in the A6 is a DCT. The 8-speed is a conventional torque-converter automatic... but it too is lightning-quick and there's no way you're gonna out-shift it. Maybe you're thinking of the clunky 5-speed POS "tiptronic" they used about two decades ago. They've come a long way since then.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:07 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
They didn't have cell phones back in the 1930's. I didn't know that.
No they had pocket telegraphs, lol lol had to carry a butt load of wire with you.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Hate to break it to you but the 7-speed transmission in the A6 is a DCT. The 8-speed is a conventional torque-converter automatic... but it too is lightning-quick and there's no way you're gonna out-shift it. Maybe you're thinking of the clunky 5-speed POS "tiptronic" they used about two decades ago. They've come a long way since then.
Guess it depends on what year ones talking about. I looked the specs of an Audi A6 and there’s no mention of a a DCT. It is a seven speed automatic gearbox. That’s for a 2020 model.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:40 PM

34,134 posts, read 18,389,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

I have 1997 and 2006 Miata/mx5 along with the oddball in my driveway... Pontiac Solstice. All manuals of course!
ALL very cool choices!

Old 04-16-2020, 07:21 PM

10,296 posts, read 8,462,957 times
What people forget is that in some cars like the Ferrari 360 and newer the transmission is the same. One can have a stick or an f1 shifter. Same gearbox, stick or computer driven mechanisms that do the same as the clutch and stick, but faster. In some cases a few have taken off the computer driven mechanisms and put a stick and clutch pedal back in. The automatic is not hydraulic like the what people imagine autos to be.
I've had high performance sports cars all my life with sticks and there is no way I can shift faster than my now considered slow and clumsy f1 shifted car. It's still fun to shift using the paddles, but nice to go into full auto on the way home or in traffic.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:23 PM

9,898 posts, read 5,565,411 times
Quote:
Guess it depends on what year ones talking about. I looked the specs of an Audi A6 and there’s no mention of a a DCT. It is a seven speed automatic gearbox. That’s for a 2020 model.
Then I guess you missed it. I just checked Audi's A6 specs page and it clearly specifies "Seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission with quattro® all-wheel drive with ultra® technology" (whatever the hell "ultra® technology" means).

Old 04-16-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Then I guess you missed it. I just checked Audi's A6 specs page and it clearly specifies "Seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission with quattro® all-wheel drive with ultra® technology" (whatever the hell "ultra® technology" means).
My mistake then, it, means it’s really expensive If it breaks lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive