Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 07:11 PM

654 posts, read 363,789 times

Advertisements

I dislike traffic noise, but particularly noise from loud cars. Loud engines, to me, are very unpleasant sounds.

If you have a loud car and drive it in a city: why? Are the people who have to listen to your loud car a concern of yours?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 08:04 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I dislike traffic noise, but particularly noise from loud cars. Loud engines, to me, are very unpleasant sounds.

If you have a loud car and drive it in a city: why? Are the people who have to listen to your loud car a concern of yours?

Thanks.
Not at all. Drive a straight-piped HEMI.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:54 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I have no cats and have NPP in a box in my 2016 C6 Vette. I can push a button for mild or wild. I like loud as it gets all the rice cars driver and thugs with Honda's and stangs a blood rush to race me. And it really gets the red neck pickup drivers in a twit to do their best to get next to me and i leave em in the dust.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:21 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I take both paths.

My daily commuter, I wand dead silent. No exhaust noise, no motor noise, no road noise. When I commute to work, all I want to hear is my radio and phone calls on the Bluetooth.

My weekend car is a Mustang with a loud exhaust. Not obnoxiously loud, but you can hear me coming from down the street. Am I concerned for my neighbors? Of course. I idle out of the neighborhood and try not to drive the car too early or late in the evening. But when i'm away from people, The sound of a V8 engine is stress relieve for me and I like to hear it.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:23 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I have no cats and have NPP in a box in my 2016 C6 Vette. I can push a button for mild or wild. I like loud as it gets all the rice cars driver and thugs with Honda's and stangs a blood rush to race me. And it really gets the red neck pickup drivers in a twit to do their best to get next to me and i leave em in the dust.
Stereotype much?

Old 04-15-2020, 07:06 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
If you feel powerless in the ways that matter, at least you can make a lot of noise and annoy people.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:13 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Do you have the muffler bypass system? If so, which one do you have? Is it Bluetooth?

Old 04-15-2020, 07:15 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Shouldn’t you be living out in the sticks if you want silence? Cities are the loudest places you could ever live...

Old 04-15-2020, 07:24 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:

Thanks.

In my town it's generally double digit IQ's young males, who haven't bred yet; and want attention.
Mine as well toss a pack of firecrackers on my lawn every time they drive by.
Every municipality has an ordinance against this juvenile and inconsiderate behavior, but it's never enforced.

So I return the favor during warmer months, in the form of a water hose.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:36 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:

Thanks.

For some of us, the sounds of a powerful engine make us happy, and the sound in a tunnel or echoing off the buildings is enjoyable. That's really it.

I'm with BostonMike. My commuter is electric and dead silent. But my fun cars have generally been much louder, modified cars with powerful engines that made glorious sounds. From the modified air cooled Porsche 911s to modified V8 cars like Mustangs and BMWs, the sounds they made/make were intoxicating and fun. I used to like going to the racetracks when I was a kid and listening to all the different sounds of road race cars, from the ripping silk shriek of V12 Ferraris to the rumble and growl of V8 Camaros and Corvettes to the wail of 6 cyl Porsches to the scream of high rm 4 cyl BMWs and Alfas.

So when I drive my fun cars I like the smiles it generates on the faces of little kids and even adults. I was in downtown Seattle one weekend with my modified Ford V8 powered Mazda RX7 when I was sitting at a light. A police officer came over and asked me what I had done to the car and I told him. He asked me to rev it once and the sound was brilliant, echoing off the buildings. He just stood back, closed his eyes, and smiled. Told me to have a nice day and walked off. That's the kind of response a properly tuned engine can have on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive