Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 08:28 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a portable battery charger for my Hundai Elantra Touring Wagon but don't know what to get in case my battery dies. I don't know what kind of charger to get. Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 09:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Battery Tender.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:56 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Good question, Cindi . . .

I have been using a Battery Tender Plus by Deltran for many years. I have one for my SSR as well as one for my '86 Jeep CJ-7.

Over the years I have determined regular use will double the life of the battery, possibly even longer.

Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:10 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
You asked for a portable battery charger, and the suggestions given were perfect for your question.

BUT, something in the back of my tiny brain said you may have not been asking about a portable battery charger, but a portable battery jump starter.

The difference is a portable battery charger will need to be plugged into a receptacle and it will convert the electricity into a charge for your battery.

The portable jump starter is a device that is already charged, can be carried in your car and used to start your car if the battery goes dead and you are away from home or a place to plug in a charger.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I just had that fleeting thought you may not actually be asking about a charger.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:14 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You asked for a portable battery charger, and the suggestions given were perfect for your question.

BUT, something in the back of my tiny brain said you may have not been asking about a portable battery charger, but a portable battery jump starter.

The difference is a portable battery charger will need to be plugged into a receptacle and it will convert the electricity into a charge for your battery.

The portable jump starter is a device that is already charged, can be carried in your car and used to start your car if the battery goes dead and you are away from home or a place to plug in a charger.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I just had that fleeting thought you may not actually be asking about a charger.
I agree that that is probably what the op is looking for. They can get those small lithium ion jumpers. They are pretty small and can fit in most glove boxes. I got one at Costco for about 50 bucks. You can charge other devices too. I used it a few times to jumpstart and it worked well.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:26 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post

Exactly.

Yes, today they make sell some real portable ones. Not the fat heavy ones of a few years/decades ago.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:26 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
This is what I picked up 2 years ago and needed it yesterday as my classic car sat for close to 2 months.

Worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Start...7220016&sr=8-1

Old 04-18-2020, 12:52 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
This is what I picked up 2 years ago and needed it yesterday as my classic car sat for close to 2 months.

Worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Start...7220016&sr=8-1
That looks pretty good. I like the percentage readout on it.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:07 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Humm, I was looking at this one, but the one you got is 10 bucks cheaper...

https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-T8-C...7236710&sr=8-2

Old 04-18-2020, 04:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Since the OP is not telling us if she wants "a portable charger," or "a portable jump starter," it is difficult to give her the right answer.

That said, a couple of months ago the local Costco store had a a bunch of whatever this means on the user manual:

"Touring Items Type M.
Jump Starter & Portable Power Bank with Wireless Charging"
Item # 1279003.

The wireless charging is used only to charge cellphones that have a wireless-charging feature (you just place the phone on top of the wireless charging base on top of the jump starter). Now, as a jump starter it does a great job. I jump started one of my trucks, and a car in the middle of the winter, without problems. It has an internal Lithium-Ion battery of a capacity of 8,000 mAh (3.7V).

The jump start current = 200-350A which is plenty for a jump start as long as you don't take too long. To charge the internal batery, just plug it to the USB charger at home.

In no way am I trying to recommend this jump starter over any other, since it is possible that there are better ones out these.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-18-2020 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive