Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 AM

17,072 posts, read 11,919,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Mannheim mmr (which every dealer uses) is 3125 for fwd, 4400 for awd.
FWD 2008 Subaru Forester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 10:56 AM

22,168 posts, read 29,135,431 times
OP-Be very careful buying this car. They are notorious known for burning oil internally. I cannot tell you how many Subarus I've flipped with dead motors due to internal oil burning. I wouldn't touch one personally

Old 04-23-2020, 11:59 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,070,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
Looking at buying a 12 year-old Subaru Forester off a Ford dealer in a mountain region where Subarus are popular. They took this car obviously in a trade-in it is 12 years old and has 63,000 miles. What do you think they have in it? How low will they go? They are asking $6,995.00 which is directly in-line with the Car Gurus live pricing on the app. In my area it's only a great deal if you can buy a car for about 2,000 less than that CarGurus price. I feel like I can be pretty aggressive right now on any offer, please advise. My guess is they paid $1,000 for it, maybe $2,000? Can I ask to see that paperwork? Need all advice
Lay down the law to the sales manager. Tell him what he must sell it for! LOL.

Further, his docs are none of your business. Buy it or move along.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:01 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,070,677 times
Quote:
Mannheim mmr (which every dealer uses) is 3125 for fwd, 4400 for awd.
Does the OP know where Manheim is?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,860,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
FWD 2008 Subaru Forester?
Mannheim separates the values of 2 different Foresters. 1 is listed as forester, the other as forester awd. Both adjust for trim packages. Did Subaru not have a forester fwd?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:59 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,860,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Does the OP know where Manheim is?
Manheim is nationwide.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,191,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
Looking at buying a 12 year-old Subaru Forester off a Ford dealer in a mountain region where Subarus are popular. They took this car obviously in a trade-in it is 12 years old and has 63,000 miles. What do you think they have in it? How low will they go? They are asking $6,995.00 which is directly in-line with the Car Gurus live pricing on the app. In my area it's only a great deal if you can buy a car for about 2,000 less than that CarGurus price. I feel like I can be pretty aggressive right now on any offer, please advise. My guess is they paid $1,000 for it, maybe $2,000? Can I ask to see that paperwork? Need all advice
What they paid for it is inconsequential to what they will sell it for. I don’t even see why that’s even in the equation. . Like I tell people just because They got a good deal doesn’t mean they are going to give you a good deal.

I would offer them 5k plus tax and license although 12 year old car with 60k miles...I would not take that offer if it’s a clean car. But at that asking price it would need to be pretty mint condition.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:52 PM

13,253 posts, read 22,650,364 times
Quote:
Mannheim separates the values of 2 different Foresters. 1 is listed as forester, the other as forester awd. Both adjust for trim packages. Did Subaru not have a forester fwd?
The only vehicle that Subaru has made in the past 20 or so years that's not AWD is the BRZ.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:31 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,480,639 times
I usually consider the NADA trade in value adding/subtracting for options and miles to be the very top dollar a dealer will put in a vehicle. And I wouldn't pay more than that.

But that's a very low mileage vehicle with lots of wear left in it.

Work your way down from that figure. And don't think you're going to beat that dealer at their game because they're professionals in their business and still deserve to make a profit to stay in business.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:00 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,028,440 times
OP, you might be able to get some relief by having them provide some lengthened warranty on it that doesn't cost them cash up front, it would give you some peace of mind. If they're not willing to do that, it would tell me there may be something wrong with the car. As always, Buyer Beware - will they let a mechanic of your choosing inspect it prior to signing the paperwork?

But, they are the experts on this, since they do it for a living - how often do you buy a car, maybe once every two or three years? They will endeavor to get as much as they can for it, just like you will strive to pay as little as you can for it. The difference is, you have more choices in the matter than they do, but that's your only leverage - shop around for a better deal, and if you can't find one, then they actually do have the advantage.

Personally, I think you could do better if you buy from a private party, but it's darned hard to do these days except for "word of mouth" - I typically ask everyone I know if they know someone looking for a used car before I trade mine in, to cut out the middleman. It's the lack of financing these days that precludes most private party sales, in my estimation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive