Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 01:43 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times

Advertisements

While some states allow logo signs on urban highways, others continue to stick to the pre-2000 MUTCD rules of only allowing them on rural highways.

I wonder, in the states that continue to restrict them to rural areas, could COVID-19 lead to changes in these outdated regulations? Some of these businesses in major cities who are suffering would clearly benefit from having a logo sign due to the immediacy factor by motorists passing by. And logo signs are not just restricted to major chains; any business is eligible as long as they meet the guidelines established by the MUTCD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 04:18 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,330,439 times
I'm not getting the connection between signs and CV-19. Please elaborate. Are you saying that allowing business signs on highways will increase customer traffic, thereby mitigating CV-19 losses? If so, that's a bit of a stretch in an internet based world. Back when the only way a driver knew what was nearby was due to signage, I could see your point. I can't remember a single time over the last 15+ years where I relied on signage to find a business. Smart phones changed that.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'm not getting the connection between signs and CV-19. Please elaborate. Are you saying that allowing business signs on highways will increase customer traffic, thereby mitigating CV-19 losses? If so, that's a bit of a stretch in an internet based world. Back when the only way a driver knew what was nearby was due to signage, I could see your point. I can't remember a single time over the last 15+ years where I relied on signage to find a business. Smart phones changed that.
The problem with smartphones is that there is no immediacy factor in most apps; you have look up a restaurant ahead of your trip otherwise it is a distraction by taking your eyes off the road by looking down at your phone. Furthermore, Arizona's logo sign program continues to show strong participation (I can't speak for other states); the advertising isn't free you know. If a business feels they wouldn't benefit from a logo sign, they would not pay the fees for the roadside advertising. Those who do sign up likely have weighed the benefits and feel there is a business case for them; I highly doubt any business with a logo sign would spend the money if they didn't see a benefit. Many businesses who signed up for logo signs here in Arizona claim they have seen increased traffic since signing up.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 04-27-2020 at 05:27 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 07:18 PM

Also, according to multi-state logo sign contractor Interstate Logos, 98% of motorists use logo signs while traveling. You are in the 2% minority.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:29 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Gainesville, Florida has allowed businesses to post a small sponsor sign in the grass median between that separated the traffic traveling in opposite directions in exchange for the business agreeing to keep trash picked up off the road in their area and for them providing landscaping to beautify the roadway. I can't find the website with the photos now, but years ago, I think the signs could be larger to serve for more directional purposes.

https://www.cityofgainesville.org/Po...cbb_median.pdf

Starting on page 36 at the link above.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Gainesville, Florida has allowed businesses to post a small sponsor sign in the grass median between that separated the traffic traveling in opposite directions in exchange for the business agreeing to keep trash picked up off the road in their area and for them providing landscaping to beautify the roadway. I can't find the website with the photos now, but years ago, I think the signs could be larger to serve for more directional purposes.

https://www.cityofgainesville.org/Po...cbb_median.pdf

Starting on page 36 at the link above.
Florida as far as I know is one of the states that allows logo signs on urban freeways. I have seen them in the Orlando area on my visits there.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:12 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Florida as far as I know is one of the states that allows logo signs on urban freeways. I have seen them in the Orlando area on my visits there.
Yeah, I just wish I could find those pictures I had of the Gainesville area from about 20 years ago. It was a pretty innovative program. The signs looked decent (I think there was some kind of review process to make sure nothing gaudy got placed), and the businesses seemed to be taking ownership of landscaping the highway really well, and keeping it maintained.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:24 PM

23,240 posts, read 18,751,797 times
I guess this post makes sense considering the author...many people who frequent C-D realize you are someone quite preoccupied with logo and brand identity. FWIW, I rather appreciate public roadways that aren't festooned with advertising (official or unofficial). The rest of the world is plastered with it. When I'm driving I want a minimum of visual distractions, not more. Essential signage only.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:22 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,406,632 times
I think those little blue signs that have the gas, food, lodging, are good enough. I hate those billboards.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:35 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,536,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I think those little blue signs that have the gas, food, lodging, are good enough. I hate those billboards.
Agree completely. Presented a mile or two before the exit, tells me what restaurants/gas stations have decided to pay to advertise. If there are more than a few that is a good sign that civilization is near and I can find something to eat. If more than 1 person in the car, someone can search on a smartphone. Roadside billboards are an eyesore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive