Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Get Rid of Those Fat Thick Center Consoles.

Is the console or you who are fat and thick?
LOL, I weigh a whopping 105-ish pounds and I still hate the oversized consoles. The manufacturer did offer another choice, but it isn’t my truck and wasn’t my choice, no matter how often my husband says It is OUR truck.

At least those of us stating our opinions that we dislike gigantic center consoles aren’t thick in the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
And high consoles give a really cramped feeling to the interior.
If they make them big enough and partition the driver and passenger sides with Plexiglass dividers, you could approach 6’ social distancing. The truck would also have to be wider than a Mack truck, but who’s measuring...details, schmetails...

Old 05-12-2020, 09:32 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
I can do without a console entirely. In my car, the console is wide enough (barely) to contain the shift knob, with the ebrake between the seats. Climate control and radio are on the dash, high enough where they don't interfere with leg room.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:34 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Simply put, with modern safety system standards, you're not going to be putting 3 across in cars anymore in a bench seat. as there's no way to put the airbags required for the center passenger. They were getting away with it in trucks as they have different set of regulations, but that will probably change, as well.

In trucks there IS a lot going on under that console as the transmission and transfer case for the 4x4 versions are under there.

I liked the cockpit like feeling of my BMWs with the center console. With bucket seats, there's no need for a gaping hole between them, and the transmission takes up that space anyhow (I've had the console off my 7 series and yes it's mostly space for the trans and exhaust to fit)

Old 05-12-2020, 09:47 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
I agree...especially when it's continuous down from the dash to back of the front seats. It takes up way too much space.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:57 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
I have a 09 Nissan Cube with the same seats as the Op's Versa. It is a wide and comfortable seat. A throwback to when seats were big enough for a NFL linebacker. Its one reason I sometimes look at Craiglist for a older model Versa Hatch.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Simply put, with modern safety system standards, you're not going to be putting 3 across in cars anymore in a bench seat. as there's no way to put the airbags required for the center passenger. They were getting away with it in trucks as they have different set of regulations, but that will probably change, as well.

In trucks there IS a lot going on under that console as the transmission and transfer case for the 4x4 versions are under there.

I liked the cockpit like feeling of my BMWs with the center console. With bucket seats, there's no need for a gaping hole between them, and the transmission takes up that space anyhow (I've had the console off my 7 series and yes it's mostly space for the trans and exhaust to fit)

Hello? That is NOT the size of giant center console under contention.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:37 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Hello? That is NOT the size of giant center console under contention.

it's no smaller than the average modern sedan. Yes it's smaller than the truck ones, but the truck ones do tend to cover a fairly large trans tunnel.

At aay rate, it's pretty big in there in both my BMWs:

same size as ones in modern Mercedes:

same size as the one in the Accord, too:

The shifter is different but the amount of space it takes up is the same. In the Accord, it doesn't do much except provide a place to put the shifter, armrest and cupholders, as it's a FWD car, but they are trying to emulate the cockpit design of the higher end RWD cars.

But I also like the center console in my Bolt, as it's a flat floor FWD car with no center tunnel. So there's a bit to put the shifter and armrest on, but no real center section. Feels really open:

Last edited by cvetters63; 05-12-2020 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
No need for a tranny hump in an Accord. BMWs if I recall are all still front engine rear drive so there's got to be a hump there anyway, might as well cover it with a console and get some use out of it.

Most mass market cars (not trucks) are front engine front drive; the floor could be nearly flat, but manufacturers insist on shoving the giant unnecessary console in there.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
^^

Why don't you back into the garage instead and simply climb out the driver side?

From the post you responded to: I have to back one of the vehicles in, with the driver's side against the outer wall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive