Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:29 PM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times

Advertisements

I miss having a bench seat for the room it gave you as well as it being a place for the dog to sit. Column shifters, bench seats. They can do a fold down arm rest/slash cup holder in a bench pretty easily. I think Detroit has forgotten just how much americans love room and comfort in a car. Its not all about techy gadgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 04:30 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Hers a good article why bench seats went by by.

https://jalopnik.com/why-front-bench...way-1776706852

Old 05-12-2020, 05:04 PM

6,165 posts, read 2,961,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
^^

Why don't you back into the garage instead and simply climb out the driver side?
I back ALL 3 vehicles into the garage. One goes in with the passenger side against the wall, so I get out as normal. One goes in, with the drivers side against the wall, so I climb over the console, and out the passenger side. The final car gets backed in, close to the car on the "left" side of the garage, and I exit, as normal, but CAREFULLY, from the drivers side.

EDIT....I posted the above, before scanning down and seeing your second post, #31. It's far easier to back in, doing a "left hand parallel park", than it is to drive the RH front end of the car into the garage, then maneuver back and forth several times, to get the rear of the car over to the right.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:58 PM

1,824 posts, read 3,158,932 times
I would be fine if they put the shifter back on the column, out of the way, and made the center console 100% storage space.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:34 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I would be fine if they put the shifter back on the column, out of the way, and made the center console 100% storage space.
Will never happen.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:58 PM

17,466 posts, read 17,280,197 times
With today’s touch screens controlling the HVAC & stereo as well as drive by wire controls there’s no need to have such massively huge center consoles other than styling. A minimalist approach would provide the necessary storage while freeing up the thighs and shins from bumping into the console.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No need for a tranny hump in an Accord. BMWs if I recall are all still front engine rear drive so there's got to be a hump there anyway, might as well cover it with a console and get some use out of it.

Most mass market cars (not trucks) are front engine front drive; the floor could be nearly flat, but manufacturers insist on shoving the giant unnecessary console in there.
That’s not a transmission hump. It’s to tuck the exhaust so it doesn’t hang down. It’s gotta go somewhere.

I’m used to having trucks with bench seats. I like column shifters on automatics. For standard shifts well not much I can do about that. I dont care for the big center console, but obviously most people like the consoles. At least in the higher end models because for entry level I still see trucks with bench type seating.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:44 PM

13,253 posts, read 22,650,364 times
My 6'2" healthy weight husband has no issue with the size and comfort of the typical modern car seat but hates the bigger consoles because they intrude into foot and leg space. He kind of has a permanent dent in his right leg because it leans against the console edge in normal driving position for him.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:05 PM

17,466 posts, read 17,280,197 times
I wonder,...do all those extremely wide center console vehicles all have rear seat AC vents mounted in the console?

Old 05-13-2020, 05:59 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I miss having a bench seat for the room it gave you as well as it being a place for the dog to sit. Column shifters, bench seats. They can do a fold down arm rest/slash cup holder in a bench pretty easily. I think Detroit has forgotten just how much americans love room and comfort in a car. Its not all about techy gadgets.
That is correct.

Some of the youngsters posting here have never seen or heard of such. To them - what is seen today is what cars were always like. Tiny little jet fighter cockpits where one has to crawl in, buckle up, and surrounded by dials and gauges. Normal for the youngsters today.

Most don't care anyway. They take the pablum that Detroit, Tokyo, Seoul, or Germany . . . dishes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive