U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 07:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 8,299,112 times

Advertisements

Too many cars, trucks, SUV's, CUV's have big fat center console with tiny hard seats.
Sat in a $60,000 big SUV at the new car dealership and the seats were small and hard. With a huge center console. Massive center console.

My 2009 Versa has more comfortable seats and more right and left legroom than this huge SUV. I can sit and drive my Versa - and neither my left leg rubs against the drivers door nor does my right leg rub against the center console. How many new vehicles offer this?

If my right leg rubs against the center console - I would never purchase such a vehicle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 07:51 PM

7,912 posts, read 4,978,324 times
My husband’s Ford truck has the big center console (I would’ve chosen a 40/20/40 split bench seat instead), which feels like a coffin is sitting between us.

What was so bad about the smaller consoles anyway? If I want to stash a road atlas and charts, they go in a Cordura bag designed to hold multiple large-format things, including clipboards, large water bottles, chargers etcetc. It allows better organization of items than a console does, too.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:19 PM

6,547 posts, read 4,192,816 times
And high consoles give a really cramped feeling to the interior.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:12 AM

6,803 posts, read 3,163,933 times
They are not going to be getting rid of the center console. Write them a letter and see what response you get.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:19 AM

13,342 posts, read 15,233,138 times
I actually like the bigger consoles. 3 cupholders on mine and ample storage.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:26 AM

13,524 posts, read 16,177,555 times
Bigger the console, the bigger the gun!

Old 05-12-2020, 06:26 AM

2,696 posts, read 867,318 times
Due to unplanned for circumstances, I have to "shoehorn" 3 vehicles into a somewhat large garage, that was really designed for two cars, with some extra room for junk. What this means is that I have to back one of the vehicles in, with the driver's side against the outer wall, then crawl over the "oversized console", in order to get out of the vehicle. I agree, the consoles are getting much bigger. It was a lot easier, a few years back, when one of the cars had a bench seat.....

And save your criticisms, as I know that this clearly is a "first world problem". It's just that my back isn't as flexible as it used to be.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:10 AM

7,331 posts, read 4,297,085 times
^^

Why don't you back into the garage instead and simply climb out the driver side?

Old 05-12-2020, 07:26 AM

11,249 posts, read 6,345,462 times
Well, I am definitely not fat, or thick, or inflexible, and I too think the giant center console is stupid. Back in the days when most all cars had a driveshaft and transmission under there, there was already a big hump in the floor so the console on top of it was just making good use of what was already there. But the transmission hump and console of 1970 is dwarfed by what they're putting into cars today - and what's under there? Not a G.D. thing except an exhaust pipe 2" in diameter, and a wire harness 1/2" in diameter, and a fuel line the same size. (Most modern sedans are front engine/front drive).

Look at interior photos of a (for example) 1976 Nova front seat, where you could sit three people in (relative) comfort in a rather modest priced car, and then look at (for example) a current production Mercedes-Benz, where you can only seat two people and much of the space is taken up by the ridiculous console. And yet the old car has all the functions of the new one except one - automatic transmission shifter (was on the column where it should be, now it's down on the console for no reason at all); air conditioning controls and outlets; radio/tape/CD/Bluetooth player; gauges. The only function the old car doesn't have in that space is the unnecessary, dangerous, and distracting touchscreen which ought to be illegal, anyway.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:04 AM

7,449 posts, read 8,440,278 times
I like the bigger consoles too. My 2018 Explorer has massaging seats, so really comfortable! I think some of the newer seat designs have more to do with safety. Many seats have airbags built into the sides and offer more support in a crash.

I had a 2007 Expedition that had the world's largest center console, same as the Ford pick-ups. Of course, the car was huge, so the seats were still big and comfy. I'm also only about 5'1" and 120 pounds, so I don't suffer when seats are smaller. I loved having the huge console. We got the Expy because we had small kids and all the crap that comes with them (car seats, strollers, etc.). I loved that I had everything like baby wipes, pacifiers, toys, etc. at my fingertips in the console.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive