Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 10:29 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times

Advertisements

No, but only because I already own a decent car and why trade it in for something else? The trade in will have deflated value so it would be wasting money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
The only used car I have ever owned was my first one and after being burned by that experience, I don't even look at used cars, even though the one we now drive is soooooooooo used.

No, I would not buy a rental car under any circumstances.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,529,983 times
If you bought late model cars before the age of free Carfax you probably owned some ex rentals.

I was shopping in the early 2000s for a compact, carfax wasnt freely available then. I bought a month of it. More than half of the cars I checked were ex rentals.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,399,669 times
According to Carfax, the Saturn Vue that I've been driving for the last 10 years started out life as a rental in Hawaii. I bought it from a Pontiac dealer in Minnesota. Man that's weird to think about, how there's lots of young people who probably don't even know what a Saturn or Pontiac even is any more, and 10 years doesn't really seem like it was that long ago.

Anyways, I always wondered how the process worked that brought the car from Hawaii to Minnesota. Is there a giant auction house in the center of the country somewhere where all the cars go and get bundled together with other cars and then dispersed to different dealers all around the country?

Old 05-30-2020, 05:44 AM

6,406 posts, read 3,125,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The only used car I have ever owned was my first one and after being burned by that experience, I don't even look at used cars, even though the one we now drive is soooooooooo used.

No, I would not buy a rental car under any circumstances.
I agree, sort of. I have bought several "used cars", after being burned by my first purchase, but A) they were to be used as "winter bombers", so for that, you specifically buy an older car; but B) those "bombers" that I bought, I bought them from people I knew, therefore I had a little background history on the cars....

(I'll also add that those older cars I bought, were old enough that they weren't burdened with a bunch of computers and miles of wiring that could go bad. They were very basic cars.)

Old 06-05-2020, 10:19 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,397,479 times
i just remembered an issue with buying rental cars. the rental car buyers usually delete the homelink option, so you can get a nicely loaded vehicle, but no garage door opener. at least, this was an issue for us in the past.

but, if you are going to buy it for an a to b situation, yes, they can be a reasonable option.

now, the off lease vehicles, are usually loaded with all the bells and whistles.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:00 PM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Those of you who have watched Tin Men, there is cute scene at the beginning
Main character is looking at Cadillac. After some chat with sales guy, they get down to table talk.
Sales guy says - So, what would you like to pay for it? What is fair price for it to you?
Response fires back - A dollar. I'd like to pay a dollar.

I think, this should be textbook example for all "how much you'd like to pay" conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive