Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much would gas have to cost to make you stop driving a gas guzzler?
$3 a gallon 3 5.26%
$4 2 3.51%
$5 7 12.28%
$6 5 8.77%
$7 1 1.75%
$8 1 1.75%
$9 0 0%
$10 or more 2 3.51%
I would keep driving no matter what the price 21 36.84%
I already gave it up/dont have one 15 26.32%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

After paying $4.50 for a .5L bottle of water this weekend I don't feel like complaining about the cost of gas for the car per gallon.

Seriously though, I have the Suburban and a smaller car and only drive either when I have to. Always been that way even before I had the smaller car as an option. Can't get rid of the Suburban as nothing else can hold the cargo we need. Even my other car has a HUGE trunk but you still can not get a normal sized ice chest into it. The opening is not big enough . DH has a full-sized pickup and has to have it for work. He only works 7 miles from home and for a 98 he is still under 100K miles.

I did ask this question of my dh this weekend when sitting at a light behind a small "economy" car in our Suburban. "With the price of gas rising I wonder how many people will take better car of their cars in order to get better gas mileage?" Meanwhile, my 2002 Suburban was sitting at this red light running clean as a whistle while the newer economy car that some view as "better for the environment" was belching gray fumes, low tire pressure on one tire, side mirror knocked off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
I traded in my suv for a new lexus sports car last year. I get double the gas mileage now. I don't miss it a bit....and really haven't had any issues with the trunk not being large enough or not having enough cargo space. I doubt most people truly need that huge suv that they are driving..sorry we have kids, sports, work out, etc, you can do without it. And apparently, after the year 2015, you will have to, when all cars will be manufactured with a minimum gpa of 35.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
how much sports equipment are you talking about? my wife's mazda6 has a pretty huge trunk (and its available in a wagon too). I ask because I've sort of been there before, then realized how much space is actually in the smaller car
Three kids - all fast approaching the teen years. Two are boys with football in the Fall and baseball in the Spring. Oh - and DH coaches so we also have "team equipment" and often have the big orange water cooler to boot. And lets not forget the extra kid / teammate and their equipment that often needs to carpool with us to the park...

Last edited by GeminiGal; 04-28-2008 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Xtra cargo...

Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I traded in my suv for a new lexus sports car last year. I get double the gas mileage now. I don't miss it a bit....and really haven't had any issues with the trunk not being large enough or not having enough cargo space. I doubt most people truly need that huge suv that they are driving..sorry we have kids, sports, work out, etc, you can do without it. And apparently, after the year 2015, you will have to, when all cars will be manufactured with a minimum gpa of 35.
Nope, I tried like the dickens to get that avg sized ice chest into the trunk. Won't fit.

Anyway, as far as having to do without it at any time period. That won't work either. For those of us that DO NEED it we will be able to get it. They can't stop making trucks and large SUV's at all as there are PLENTY of businesses that need it. And don't say they will just add a tax to it either as they already do that to our larger trucks. It is riduclous the extra taxes already we have to pay IF we chose to buy a brand new truck. They can make all the new hybrid trucks they want but if they are cost prohibitive they won't sell. Kenworth makes some now and they still are having to pound the pavement to get someone to buy one.

The second the government demands that large trucks and SUV's be stopped in production is the minute the value of those already on the road skyrocket and the minute there will be an uprising. If for some reason it is able to pass you can all look for a HUGE INCREASE in the cost of goods across the boards. You think grocery prices are high now.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Nope, I tried like the dickens to get that avg sized ice chest into the trunk. Won't fit.

Anyway, as far as having to do without it at any time period. That won't work either. For those of us that DO NEED it we will be able to get it. They can't stop making trucks and large SUV's at all as there are PLENTY of businesses that need it. And don't say they will just add a tax to it either as they already do that to our larger trucks. It is riduclous the extra taxes already we have to pay IF we chose to buy a brand new truck. They can make all the new hybrid trucks they want but if they are cost prohibitive they won't sell. Kenworth makes some now and they still are having to pound the pavement to get someone to buy one.

The second the government demands that large trucks and SUV's be stopped in production is the minute the value of those already on the road skyrocket and the minute there will be an uprising. If for some reason it is able to pass you can all look for a HUGE INCREASE in the cost of goods across the boards. You think grocery prices are high now.
No, its not that they are banning suvs and trucks, its that they are banning them from having gas mileage under 31. The technology for more fuel efficient vehicles has been around for years, but the gas companies own so much....and the car companies are just lazy. In the long run, making a higher fuel efficiency mandatory will only be more economical when it comes to finances, environment, etc

Fuel economy standard will be 31.6 mpg - Going Green - MSNBC.com

Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
Lucky me I hate big cars!! Can't wait till the kid starts driving...I'm going back to a 2 seater....room for my ass and a gallon of gas...lol

Bigger vehicles burning "clean" or not....your still using more resources than you need too!!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Lucky me I hate big cars!! Can't wait till the kid starts driving...I'm going back to a 2 seater....room for my ass and a gallon of gas...lol

Bigger vehicles burning "clean" or not....your still using more resources than you need too!!
Let me load up all four of my boys and the stuff they haul around to play sports in your vehicle. Then tell me I am "using more resources than you need too!!" you will not be able to because I do need a vehicle the size of a Suburban, and there are plenty of families out there just like mine. Plus in all honesty going down the road (either city or freeway) the 'Burb gets better mileage than the last smaller family type car I owned, and it does so while hauling twice the people and 4 times the stuff.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I love my Yukon Denali and don't plan on selling it anytime soon because of the cost of fueling it up. I bought it fully knowing that gas wouldn't get any lower but I also bought it thinking I'd keep it at least 3 years before trading up. I have yet to see many SUV owners dump their vehicles for something smaller just because the price of oil is up. Besides right now Phoenix has the lowest gas prices in the country I believe...

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Let me load up all four of my boys and the stuff they haul around to play sports in your vehicle. Then tell me I am "using more resources than you need too!!" you will not be able to because I do need a vehicle the size of a Suburban, and there are plenty of families out there just like mine. Plus in all honesty going down the road (either city or freeway) the 'Burb gets better mileage than the last smaller family type car I owned, and it does so while hauling twice the people and 4 times the stuff.
lol...knew that was coming!! Actually you CAN get 5 adults in my car comfortably....huge trunk.....

I wonder what people with lots of kids did before the SUV .......

Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post

I wonder what people with lots of kids did before the SUV .......
The ones I knew had either a station wagon, conversion vans or boxy 15 passanger vans. We all know how well THOSE were on gas mileage. Or they had a BIG Ol' boat sedan and just piled all 4-6 kids in the backseat and 1 or two in the front w/ the parents. Of course this was pre mandatory seat belt laws so it did not matter if there were enough "designated" seating spots per passanger and no car seats for infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive