Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 09:52 AM

1,361 posts, read 552,231 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger RT with 49k miles. I had new tires installed last Thursday.

Yesterday I drove the car to work and no issues. It sat outside in the rain all day and when I left work I got a "service electronic stability control" and "service ABS" warning. Google says wheel sensor which is why I mentioned the tire installation. Not sure if it could be a coincidence or if they may have screwed something up when installing the tires. The car drove home fine.

(This is actually a pleasure vehicle that I rarely drive... I only drove it to work because I wanted to see how the new tires handled in the rain)

So anyway, could the rain cause an issue i.e. wet sensor? I'm not a car guru I always pay someone else to do the work but wanted to ask here before I call my mechanic later today. The car is obviously out of warranty and this is the first hint of trouble it's given me.

Hopefully not too expensive but I have no idea! I started the car this morning and it gave the same warnings.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 10:05 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I think it's unlikely that they could've done something in the act of installing new tires that would screw up the sensor since it's on the other side of the rotor -- of course anything could happen. Replacement sensors aren't too expensive- around $25-$40, I think. You can probably do it yourself since it's not too complicated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oxckrzm8x8

Old 05-26-2020, 12:04 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I think it's unlikely that they could've done something in the act of installing new tires that would screw up the sensor since it's on the other side of the rotor -- of course anything could happen. Replacement sensors aren't too expensive- around $25-$40, I think. You can probably do it yourself since it's not too complicated:

I'd tend to agree.. However, even if they DID screw something up.. Good luck pinning it on them since it didn't happen immediately. WSS codes will throw as soon as you move, if not before.

I'm not familiar with the Challenger.. But I will say that Dodge often has a problem where the sensor hasn't failed, it's the tone ring. If I'm not mistaken (And I could be, so, get verification) the tone ring is not a separate part for Dodge. You're basically replacing the hub/axle if one goes bad. Though, there are companies making the tone rings third-party.

I found a set of instructions for changing the tone ring out..

https://www.lxforums.com/board/brake...one-rings.html

Old 05-26-2020, 02:26 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,081 times
An ABS sensor code can kick out your ABS system, your cruise control, affect your transmission control system and even throw your engine in a fail safe limiting horsepower.

And often, it's just mud on a sensor.

You can easily remove the 4 sensors one at a time and wash them in Dawn dishwashing liquid. If that's the problem, you're a genius. They usually have one small bolt holding them in.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The ABS code or faulty sensor will cause the ESC to malfunction. It is usually a single issue that affects multiple systems. With the right diagnostic equipment it will point to the issue. Sensors fail from time to time. The diagnostic tool will tell you which one is the issue, so you’re not throwing parts at a problem.

It could be the tone ring.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:01 PM

Thanks for all the input.

I'm dropping it off at my local Midas on the way to work tomorrow. They have always been honest with me and have saved me a few thousand dollars over the years as a secondary quote when another mechanic tried to BS me.

Will post back with an update.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
Thanks for all the input.

I'm dropping it off at my local Midas on the way to work tomorrow. They have always been honest with me and have saved me a few thousand dollars over the years as a secondary quote when another mechanic tried to BS me.

Will post back with an update.

Anxiously awaiting the results. A '15 with a tone ring problem is a little soon, but.. that's where my money lies.

Based on your location.. Hmm.. No salt on the roads in winter.. I honestly think it's going to be one of the two above, with tone ring being slightly higher.

My biggest question will be whether it requires replacing the hub. I suspect, if it's the tone ring. It will.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Anxiously awaiting the results.
Midas just called me... right front wheel speed sensor is bad. Said everything else checks out OK. Told me $398 which covers the part, labor and the diagnosis fee (which I didn't get an amount on)...

Not really surprised, it's about what I expected. I know I could do it myself for cheaper, if only I was a wrench turner. It is what it is. I don't question these guys... as said they've saved me thousands of dollars over the last few years by calling out BS quotes by non-reputable mechanics. I don't go anywhere else.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
Midas just called me... right front wheel speed sensor is bad. Said everything else checks out OK. Told me $398 which covers the part, labor and the diagnosis fee (which I didn't get an amount on)...

Not really surprised, it's about what I expected. I know I could do it myself for cheaper, if only I was a wrench turner. It is what it is. I don't question these guys... as said they've saved me thousands of dollars over the last few years by calling out BS quotes by non-reputable mechanics. I don't go anywhere else.

That particular part, for a Mopar part.. OEM.. Rock Auto has for $50.. So.. Figure they're always the lowest.. I'd say it's probably in the $70 range from the dealer, which they likely got it from.. Add in their markup..

You immediately think "A little on the high side", but.. Honestly.. Probably not that bad. Again, not being familiar with that specific vehicle.. Wheel Speed sensors can be a real PITA, so an hour and a half of labor wouldn't be overly shocking to me.

You add all that up.. It only looks high when you think "$400 for a $50 part". That $350 is money well spent on not having to do it yourself.

I'd have probably asked them for the part, simply to see whether the wiring wore through or something like that. If that was the case, then.. At least an argument could be made that it was caused by the tire guys. Not that you'd WIN that argument, but.. Certainly would factor into the decision of whether or not to use them again.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That $350 is money well spent on not having to do it yourself.
Yeah I just picked up the car and of the $398 it was $108 in parts... $234 for labor which included a $130 diagnosis fee. $20 shop supplies plus sales tax.

As you said, money well spent for not having to do it myself. They did note on the invoice that the tone ring and wiring are fine. They also said they've had other Challengers in with much lower mileage that had the same issue, so I don't really feel unlucky. I think it was just a coincidence that it went out less than a week after a tire change.

I didn't mind paying the diagnosis fee just to confirm the issue rather than throw parts at it... but if it happens again I may just go straight to a sensor replacement. He told me because it's a RWD vehicle that replacing this RF sensor didn't even require removing the wheel and this job was actually on the low end price range because they didn't have to deal with FWD.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive