Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 02:13 PM

20,303 posts, read 37,259,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Don’t forget AWD in rain/wet snow/sleet. Noticeable extra control/traction in both Subaru and Audi. No tire spin!
Not always true. Driving experience first, the proper tires for road conditions second, and vehicle traction system third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
With FWD cars I often hate wheel spin on dry payment and torque steer. With RWD, you can get wheel hopping. On AWD, never get any of those issues.

It has nothing to do with winter tires, you can have sticky tires and it will still do that because putting too much torque down to the front is not ideal.

AWD solves a lot of driving road manner issues other than weather related issues.
Maybe because I have driven FWD cars for many years, I haven't encountered much problem with torque steer? Most FWD automobiles incorporate traction/stability control. The engine, brakes (ABS), and the traction control, all are controlled by a computer, so there is no way you can put too much torque on the wheel as long as the computer senses a tire spin. If a spin is felt on both wheels, the computer immediately decreases engine RPM. If a lateral skid is sensed at the rear, the stability control uses only the ABS at the wheel (wheels).

Old 06-17-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i drive a subaru forester and it is obviously better to have in the snow than a 2wd (and most other awd's). one problem i have is that it really only comes in handy maybe 5 or so days out of the year for me. it may be more useful where you are in michigan though.

sometimes i consider different cars that i may enjoy for other reasons (convertible, very small car for parking in city, etc.) but i have stuck with the subaru because even though its only 5 days, it can really be a game changer on those 5 days and since its a safety issue; i cant just dismiss it as being only very limited need. maybe if i could figure out a situation where i can do a reasonable last minute rental on a small suv i could do that.
I used to drive a 2009 Forester, and the traction was good. I traded the Forester for a 2010 RAV4 V6 4WD, and the traction was good too. But the RAV4, like a lot of AWD vehicles on the road, uses the front wheels for most driving conditions, and the rear wheel come into play when a skid is sensed at the rear. What I do, is to have a set of Blizzak for winter driving, and all seasons for the rest of the year. The only way I would like Subaru automobiles is if the traction system could be set-up by the driver. To me it makes no sense to have an AWD system with torque to all the wheels all year long. I prefer the traction systems such as the RAV4 above, or like the one on my 2001 Silverado truck.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:35 PM

15,076 posts, read 10,138,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not always true. Driving experience first, the proper tires for road conditions second, and vehicle traction system third.
I agree with this.

I'd rather have a 2wd vehicle with the proper tires than a AWD/4wd system with inappropriate tires.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:07 PM

12,591 posts, read 9,694,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
With FWD cars I often hate wheel spin on dry payment and torque steer. With RWD, you can get wheel hopping. On AWD, never get any of those issues.

It has nothing to do with winter tires, you can have sticky tires and it will still do that because putting too much torque down to the front is not ideal.

AWD solves a lot of driving road manner issues other than weather related issues.
Yes, you can have wheelspin even on dry pavement, but it occurs more easily on wet, snowy or icy pavement. Tires have everything to do with traction. They are the interface between the moving vehicle and the stationary road. He wants to know if he needs AWD. My own view is that it's nice to have, but no.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM

12,591 posts, read 9,694,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I agree with this.

I'd rather have a 2wd vehicle with the proper tires than a AWD/4wd system with inappropriate tires.
Quote:
That's 3 of us.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:51 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,906,659 times
Setting aside snow tires, what are these magic tires that solve all traction issues - - given most people rely on one set of tires for a variety of weather. I have had AWD, FWD, and RWD all with quality tires, and AWD control was superior.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:41 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,783,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Setting aside snow tires, what are these magic tires that solve all traction issues - - given most people rely on one set of tires for a variety of weather. I have had AWD, FWD, and RWD all with quality tires, and AWD control was superior.
This.
Tires and driving skills make a difference, but AWD takes it to another level.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:47 AM

1,002 posts, read 922,677 times
Quote:
Maybe because I have driven FWD cars for many years, I haven't encountered much problem with torque steer? Most FWD automobiles incorporate traction/stability control. The engine, brakes (ABS), and the traction control, all are controlled by a computer, so there is no way you can put too much torque on the wheel as long as the computer senses a tire spin. If a spin is felt on both wheels, the computer immediately decreases engine RPM. If a lateral skid is sensed at the rear, the stability control uses only the ABS at the wheel (wheels).
There are several factors that influence it. My (modified) FWD car will do 0-60 in ~4 seconds. It can get a bit squirrely in that split second before the limited slip differential locks up. Others who have build similar cars without an LSD get pulled all over the road. With the original engine and its ~10 second time to 60, there was zero noticeable torque steer.

Equal length axles (and a shorter or longer half shaft to achieve this), a limited slip differential, and/or having relatively low power to weight (or staying off the gas) all reduce the effect.

~

As for my experience with AWD vs FWD, I live in the mountains of Vermont and my daily is FWD with high quality snow tires. We tend to get 80-120 inches of snow per year. I have no issues getting to work. My lack of ground clearance is typically more of an issue than a lack of drive wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
2WD vs AWD-img_20200208_142415.jpg  

Last edited by EckyX; 06-18-2020 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-18-2020, 09:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
Quote:
I used to drive a 2009 Forester, and the traction was good. I traded the Forester for a 2010 RAV4 V6 4WD, and the traction was good too. But the RAV4, like a lot of AWD vehicles on the road, uses the front wheels for most driving conditions, and the rear wheel come into play when a skid is sensed at the rear. What I do, is to have a set of Blizzak for winter driving, and all seasons for the rest of the year. The only way I would like Subaru automobiles is if the traction system could be set-up by the driver. To me it makes no sense to have an AWD system with torque to all the wheels all year long. I prefer the traction systems such as the RAV4 above, or like the one on my 2001 Silverado truck.
what is the disadvantage of having torque to all wheels all year long?

i had a rav4 before the subaru. i liked the car very much but i still think the subaru was better for snow. the issue i will encounter in a snow storm is parking spots that are covered in snow. i see people spinning wheels like crazy and i recall how it was in the rav4 and i more recently used my dad's cherokee in that situation. the forester gets me in and out of those parking spots where otherwise id be having a much tougher time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive