Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:20 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
mid-size sedan (camry) = 11.49
For most of its production life, the Camry has been a compact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
For most of its production life, the Camry has been a compact.
Suit yourself, its rather moot....the point I made all along was the SUV's aren't safer than the *normal* cars but ARE safer than the little cars....mainly due to rollovers.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Personal experience tells me that it's heavy cars which are low to the ground......but that, like your claim, doesn't mean much unless we can produce some stats

I'll agree that lifted vehicles with huge tires will probably have some issues, but I don't agree that a stock SUV is inherently less safe than a car. You mentioned uneven surfaces can cause vehicles to flip, but the larger wheelbase and tires of most SUVs mean that the same shoulder drop off would have a much smaller effect on the larger vehicle.
You also said "Heavier vehicles ARE safer than lighter vehicles".

We are going to have to agree to disagree....I produced the stats, have a good day.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Same thing happened to the auto business back in 1973-74...

When gas rationing started... car sales stopped... My Uncle didn't sell a single car in 41 days and he had people dropping by everyday trying to unload just about anything with a V8... big or small.

Wealthy people were shopping for small cars not because of the cost of gas, but because of gas rationing... I can remember friends trying to unload Dodge Chargers, Plymouth Road Runners and Super Bees and no one was buying.

About the only cars selling were the newly introduced Ford Pinto, Chevrolet Vega, VW Beetle and a few Toyota's and Datsuns... Honda hadn't yet come out yet with the Civic CVCC and the 2 cylinder Honda 600's were little more than motorcycles with doors...
Just think, all those Chargers and Road Runners and Super Bees no one wanted then now are worth mega bucks. Bet some of those who had them back then feel different today.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Just think, all those Chargers and Road Runners and Super Bees no one wanted then now are worth mega bucks. Bet some of those who had them back then feel different today.
So true... and those with kids have lots of explaining to do...

One of my friends son is really into mopar from the 60's... His Dad never told him that he had a Super Bee back in High School until I spilled the Beans

Old 05-24-2008, 05:34 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Here I am about to become a dad for the first time, I can only hope to get my daughter into muscle cars and classics. Right now my tinker toy is an 87 Buick Regal with the turbocharged 3.8, same engine as the Grand national.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I have a cambry and it is not a full size sedan.Basically it seats four confortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive