Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is true however when people are talking about SUVs and high gas prices, Xterras, Rodeos and Passports are not what they are thinking of.
Please - are you psychic? Please show me where anyone qualifies their comments about SUV's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is not a real SUV. A real SUV is the Expedition, Suburban, Yukon and that kind of vehicle. An Xterra is not really any different than a car is.
Oookay... I don't want to turn this into a debate about SUVs, but your statement is a matter of opinion. The Xterra is capable of doing just about everything large SUVs, like the Expedition, Suburban, and Yukon are capable of doing, the only difference is, the Xterra, and others in its class of SUVs, do it more economically. Yes, their engines don't have the horsepower and torque ratings the larger SUVs have, but they're smaller and lighter, and if you measure horsepower and torque per pound of vehicle weight, both classes of SUVs come out about even.

Personally, I don't think the gasoline crisis will kill large SUVs, they might disappear for a brief period of time, until GM and Ford redesigns them to be a lot more fuel efficient.

I also think Toyota and Nissan are going to have to redesign their full-sized SUVs that are in the same class as the Expedition, and Yukon, to significantly increase the gas mileage.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
Everyone should just stop complaining and buy a moped or a motorcycle and you will be fine.
Eh. Back when Katrina happened and there was a gas panic, I had a lot of people asking about my rig
http://www.warkshop.com/web%20images/H%20SW%20T%20Std%20RF%20Alten.jpeg (broken link)

40 mpg, capable of 80mph. Automatic shift for those who don't know how to operate a clutch and I've gone x-country on it as well as use it for a commuter or to bring home a week's worth of grocery.

Did I shill it to people who've never ridden before? Yes, but with many reservations. To me, the only people who should be riding are those who want to ride. The bonus of fuel savings on something like a moped or motorcycle or scooter should be secondary.

Put someone on a bike who doesn't understand the spirit of the activity, or the dangers, and you're looking at someone who's likely to have an accident. I don't want that on my hands

Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times

THIS IS MY BABY. 1985 goldwing aspencade 54 miles to the gallon

Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Yep, SUVs will always be around, and I know I'll keep my Nissan Xterra, it gets about 24 miles to the gallon, which is not too bad for a 3.3 litre V6.
Well I shouldn't say the SUV will die....because there are people who need them for their cargo/towing capacity....but I think the days may end where people buy gas guzzlers for their trendiness and just use them to drive to the office or the mall.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Well I shouldn't say the SUV will die....because there are people who need them for their cargo/towing capacity....but I think the days may end where people buy gas guzzlers for their trendiness and just use them to drive to the office or the mall.

people will stop buying suv's. because now you can buy a pickup that will haul more cargo the same number of people and tow twice as much weight. suv's are limited to what they can pull. to me all they are is a glorified car that suck up twice as much gas. GIVE EM A GOOD BURIAL.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:14 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
I just read an article over at Jalopnik about current sales trends. All big family vehicles are seeing a drop in sales right now - SUVs, minivans, 3-row wagons, crossovers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive