U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 04:08 PM

1,863 posts, read 542,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Raising the minimum wage, and paying health care at the level so many want, would be the biggest job destroyer possible. A lot of businesses, especially mom and pop businesses would be put out of business right and left.

Even the big boys, are going under.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/25/list...cy-in-220.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/3090235001/

https://www.fool.com/slideshow/these...2020/?slide=21

Raise the minimum wage, and this list will grow like crazy. And remember this is just retail businesses. There are many types of businesses that pay low, and will close if minimum wage and health care are raised to the point so many want.
So you're saying there are jobs that have to be done, people just deserve to be in poverty to do them.

That's the definition of GOP FYIGM.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 05:55 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,829,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
You want functioning roads, infrastructure and fire/police? Working public schools? You're gonna pay taxes.

I guess all of the above did not exist prior to 1960 when tax rates were lower.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 555,716 times
Quote:
The people that don't want to pay a living wage are not the same people that want safe cars. You should know that already.

They do, it's called raising the minimum wage and having healthcare that doens't cost an arm and a leg. you could afford safe cars if you don't have to pay a lot of healthcare and are making a decent wage.

My ultra safe car costs me $25k. Where's that house that costs the same as that? It also only costs me $250/mo to own it. Where's the house that rents for that little? Modern ultra safe cars that pass all those tests can be has for under $150 a month. That's a cell phone bill even for poor folks.

Knock off the hyperbole and learn something.

LOL, my cell phone with 20GB data and unlimited voice and text cost me equivalent of $23 a month. I had to prepay all at once, a year ahead. You just got suckered if you pay $150 a month.

There are actually $25k houses out there, probably not kind of house you want or in location you want. I found some cheaper than that. These are cash only properties, usually either way away from jobs or else in less than desirable neighborhood, nobody going to give you a mortgage on them. And most would need serious handyman to keep them livable.

And we are talking about pickups, not cars. Where is this ultra safe new pickup that is $150 a month? Or is this a 30 year loan on a pickup? Think you live in fantasy land.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:10 PM

12,547 posts, read 7,000,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I guess all of the above did not exist prior to 1960 when tax rates were lower.
Not necessarily true

https://taxfoundation.org/us-federal...sted-brackets/

The top bracket of 1960's were paying 90+% in some cases.

But the tax code has changed so much it really isn't easily comparable... but certainly a blanket statement that tax rates were lower isn't necessarily true.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:00 PM

18,820 posts, read 12,331,701 times
You guys can cry all ya like. I am just forced out of trucks thanks to no small and fast trucks.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:37 AM

9,978 posts, read 5,371,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Or states and the federal government could lower taxes so people would have more disposable income.
Would they also be cutting the services that low income people rely upon because reducing taxes reduces the funding for those programs?

Old 11-03-2020, 08:25 AM

1,863 posts, read 542,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
LOL, my cell phone with 20GB data and unlimited voice and text cost me equivalent of $23 a month. I had to prepay all at once, a year ahead. You just got suckered if you pay $150 a month.
T mobile unlimited data on an iPhone 11 Pro with hotspot, multiple lines. Pretty typical modern cell phone plan.

Quote:
There are actually $25k houses out there, probably not kind of house you want or in location you want. I found some cheaper than that. These are cash only properties, usually either way away from jobs or else in less than desirable neighborhood, nobody going to give you a mortgage on them. And most would need serious handyman to keep them livable.
So that's a no, then. If poor people can't live in them, then they don't exist.

Quote:
And we are talking about pickups, not cars. Where is this ultra safe new pickup that is $150 a month? Or is this a 30 year loan on a pickup? Think you live in fantasy land.

You did bring up '80s and '90s CARS and we were talking about selling an modern vehicle that has to meet safety standards. Now that you're caught, you move the goalposts.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:59 PM

9,777 posts, read 9,466,824 times
Quote:
So you're saying there are jobs that have to be done, people just deserve to be in poverty to do them.

That's the definition of GOP FYIGM.
What I am saying is that some people do not have the mental or physical ability to do the higher paid jobs. Do away with the low paying jobs to where the owners are losing money, and these lower income people will be unable to find any job.

We can't expect many lower paying businesses that are just barely profitable for the investment made, to increase their wages to the point that puts them out of business any faster than is already happening.

Maybe the best solution, is for the state or federal government to tax those with real good better paying jobs and use those taxes to subsidize the low paid people. That way you would have the following:

1--Every one in the country, would have a living wage.

2--Low pay businesses would stay open, providing the basic income needs though the state or federal program.

3: Low paying businesses could continue to exist, and provide basic jobs.

What do you think about this as the best possible solution, so everyone can have a good standard of living, regardless of what they contribute to the work force.

Old 11-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,215 posts, read 45,390,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You guys can cry all ya like. I am just forced out of trucks thanks to no small and fast trucks.
You have to make your own.

A mid-engine vr6 VW Rabbit pickup was running 9 sec 1/4 at Waterfest a couple yrs ago. Here is another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtPdVyg5ol0

and another...
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...k-full-of-rad/

There is also one with an Audi w8.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:32 PM

18,820 posts, read 12,331,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You have to make your own.

A mid-engine vr6 VW Rabbit pickup was running 9 sec 1/4 at Waterfest a couple yrs ago. Here is another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtPdVyg5ol0

and another...
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...k-full-of-rad/

There is also one with an Audi w8.
Now that is something i can drive everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive