Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 02:11 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Why is 4x8 sheets the standard? Many people use pickups for things other than construction. Outdoor activities, dirt/leaves, bulk trash, easy tool access, etc.

Reminds me of those pickup commercials where they're loading a 20" waste pipe in the rain or driving uphill in dirt while carrying cinder blocks.

Personally, I have a Ford Transit and it's way more useful than a pickup. 4x8 sheets, 12' lumber, and still seats 8+ while everything is protected from the elements.

Sorry but for some of us, a pickup is to haul stuff, not transport the wife and kids to church and bag old clothes to donate to charity. And most doityourselfers haul building materials that unfortunately for modern pickup owners, are either 8ft or 10ft long.

If you are just hauling the wife and kids, wouldnt an SUV or stationwagon or van be more useful? Whats the point of a pickup with short little bed thats not useful for hauling???

Oh and friend few years back had a 3/4T diesel Chevy van. Yep you can haul 8ft stuff, but he had whole lot fun trying to haul firewood in it. Most of time van made perfect sense as he traveled country selling at craft shows. But his two week Christmas at the family rustic rural cabin made van not so practical.

Part of it is there arent lot small farmers and such anymore that need a real pickup I guess. But still think somebody buying a pickup first and foremost buys it to haul stuff, not as a substitute car. A real single cab pickup with 8ft bed works as substitute car but only for one or two people. Third person in middle not going to be happy. This is why people buy cars. Or used to be the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 02:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Sorry but for some of us, a pickup is to haul stuff, not transport the wife and kids to church and bag old clothes to donate to charity. And most doityourselfers haul building materials that unfortunately for modern pickup owners, are either 8ft or 10ft long.

If you are just hauling the wife and kids, wouldnt an SUV or stationwagon or van be more useful? Whats the point of a pickup with short little bed thats not useful for hauling???

Ah yes, the 'real' man needs an 8' bed. Motorcyclists, bicyclists, painters, contractors, handymen, etc. could all use a small bed. I see welders mounted on short beds. I guess trades people are just taking their wife and kids to church

But I guess you're the only real man of the bunch

Old 10-23-2020, 03:03 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Many people use pickups for things other than construction. Outdoor activities, dirt/leaves, bulk trash, easy tool access, etc.

Towing travel trailers.....

Old 10-23-2020, 03:56 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i just got a 2020 tacoma, and its big, but i kept my old 2014 tacoma but it still bigger than my 85

Old 10-23-2020, 05:00 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i just got a 2020 tacoma, and its big, but i kept my old 2014 tacoma but it still bigger than my 85
Trucks just got bigger and bigger over the years. Chevy dropped the ball with the S10 Xtreme and Colorado by never offering up a SS reg cab version with a 300 to 450hp V8. Now the newer Colorado is ugly and no V8 version.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The reason no one makes a small pickup like those of yore, is not enough people will buy them to make it possible to build and sell a small pickup at a profit.

Remember back in the 80s, F-150 was biggest selling vehicle period, and is still the biggest seller today.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post

Oh and friend few years back had a 3/4T diesel Chevy van. Yep you can haul 8ft stuff, but he had whole lot fun trying to haul firewood in it. Most of time van made perfect sense as he traveled country selling at craft shows. But his two week Christmas at the family rustic rural cabin made van not so practical.

Part of it is there arent lot small farmers and such anymore that need a real pickup I guess. But still think somebody buying a pickup first and foremost buys it to haul stuff, not as a substitute car. A real single cab pickup with 8ft bed works as substitute car but only for one or two people. Third person in middle not going to be happy. This is why people buy cars. Or used to be the reason.
And there's where you've gone off the rails. Whether you approve or not, the vast majority of pickups purchased in the USA are bought as daily drivers.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:09 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And there's where you've gone off the rails. Whether you approve or not, the vast majority of pickups purchased in the USA are bought as daily drivers.
And never used as a truck also.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:17 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
If it can't pull a horse trailer, what's the point? If you have to choose between taking your dog and taking a friend.... worthless. If you can't haul a stack of drywall or plywood you might as well drive a car.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:25 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
back in the 80s when compact meant something, the ranger and S10s sold well. but as fuel economy increased on larger trucks, and the price of compact and midsized trucks increased, it got to the point where you may as well pony up a little more cash to buy the fullsize trucks and be comfortable, have more capacity, and about equal fuel economy.

I'll take an old Toyota or Ranger with an 8 ft bed over any of today's grotesquely oversized monstrosities, regardless of fuel economy. Today's huge trucks are a result of manufacturer's capitalizing on folk's low self esteem. You know what they say: the larger the truck, the smaller the...equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive