U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 04:40 AM

24,319 posts, read 15,992,725 times

Advertisements

Sell it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 06:03 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,009,026 times
If the place that did this for you is not able to correct it ask for a refund and find
a place that has a heated upholstery extractor

Then leave the windows down or 2" down until completely dry.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:29 AM

2,177 posts, read 1,053,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I have a 09 Camry and the interior is pretty clean. I took my car to have the seats shampooed and now certain areas smell like urine. Prior to that my car did not smell like this. I don't know if this can be gotten rid of or a need to replace the seats but it is driving my insane. I cannot stand filth. No one has every urinated in the car while I have had it, but maybe a previous owner had pets. I have tried odoban, vinegar, baking soda and I can still smell it. Prior to me getting the seats shampooed there was no smell. Can someone please offer advice?
Polyurethane or polyurethane foam (seats), etc. will smell like urine (or cat urine) when wet.
You might notice it in some shoes as well- with the prolific "memory foam" in shoes which is often a PU- hard to buy one without nowadays. ( It is not your smelly feet!-Well, not always!)

Try to dry out the interior and after air it out as much as you can- park in the sun? Put damp rid? Silica?
See if the people who shampooed the car can blow a commercial heater fan to dry out the interior?
Use dry or foamy textile/carpet cleaners when need it, don't shampoo

Last edited by Nik4me; 11-11-2020 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-11-2020, 06:37 AM

20,329 posts, read 13,336,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Polyurethane foam, etc. will smell like urine (or cat urine) when wet.
You might notice it in some shoes as well- with the prolific "memory foam" in shoes which is often a PU- hard to buy one without nowadays.
Try to dry it out and air it out as much as you can- park in the sun?
See if the people who shampooed the car can blow a commercial heater fan to dry out the interior?
Use dry or foamy textile/carpet cleaners when need it.

I think this is the problem.

They shampooed the carpet and then it didn't dry enough.

I wonder if mold or mildew could be setting in?

It could also be one of their cleaning products that smells funky or it is having some type of reaction.

I know a guy that painted his kids room and had a new carpet put down. The room stunk like cat pee. He thought it was the carpet and had it ripped out and another put down but the smell turned out to be the paint that was having some type of reaction.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:32 AM

30,253 posts, read 74,323,387 times
1. Stop peeing in your car. Pee outside or in a bathroom.
2. Get some Natures miracle and soak the areas. Just leave it soaked. It contains enzymes that eat the urine. Works wonders.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:24 AM

3,155 posts, read 1,592,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Stop peeing in your car.
If anyone ever asks me to define "Occam's razor", I'm going to refer them back to this post.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:37 AM

7,603 posts, read 8,933,135 times
Cat urine is like skunk stink: You scrub and scrub, and then one day it gets wet and it smell like it "just happened".

Try the above recommendations, but more than likely you will never be able to rid the vehicle of the stench.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:57 AM

8,136 posts, read 9,128,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I have a 09 Camry and the interior is pretty clean. I took my car to have the seats shampooed
Seats shampooed ???

Heard of detailing. But just the seats shampooed?

Might go back and have the seats shampooed again. Done.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:22 PM

5,123 posts, read 1,970,644 times
Have you tried using the earlier date system restore program method so that you could return your car back to its original condition? ...you know, ignition off, ignition on while at the same time holding the window washer and hazard warning switches with one foot on the brake pedal and the other on the gas? I've been told that might work.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:40 PM

4,756 posts, read 2,400,989 times
The chemical used to clean it was probably ammonia-based which smells like cat pee to some people. Besides just having it shampood again you can ionize by using an O3 generator (ionizer). You can buy them online. Some are made specifically for use in vehicles. The O3 actually reacts with odors at the molecular level and it erases the odors instead of covering them up. You cannot inhale it so you have to be out of the car or room while the generator is turned on. Don't leave any living thing in the vehicle with the generator in operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive