Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times

Advertisements

Chevrolet Cobalt. It's a great car, super mileage, and.... You get to buy American..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
Hi,

I have been trying to help my mom get good new sedan. I am trying to find something has good performance for under $20k. Performance wise, I am thinking of something comparable or better than a 2000 2.4-I Galant ( 145 HP @ 5,500 rpm; 155 ft lb ) that she currently drives. She is rather speedy driver, in fact a lot more than me!

I was suggestion her to get the Hyundai Sonata 2.4-I (one I drive), however she thinks it is bit too big compared to her current Galant. She hasn't test drive the Sonata yet, but she just might like it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hyundais are junk. Look at a Camry, Corolla, Accord, or Civic. While Hyundai may have improved from their Yugo-like days of the 1980's....they're still way behind the competition for long-term reliability and quality. Plus, Hyundai's resale value is very low, while Honda and Toyota have very high resale value. When you go to sell or trade a Hyundai down the road, you will get next to nothing for it.

Take my advice and keep this in mind when looking for a new car: JUST SAY NO TO HYUNDAI!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Get her into a Sonata with V6 ( around 250 hp), fast, quiet ,smooth engine). It only cost us $18,500, that includes ESC (electronic stablility control). Compare that Honda Accord or Toyota camry, its run you over$25,000.
You get what you pay for. That difference in price will be more than made up when you go to sell or trade the car. Hondas and Toyotas hold their value, Hyundais depreciate FAST.

Although I have a hard time believing that a similarly-equipped Accord or Camry would run that much more than the Sonata. Even if it did, its worth it for a long term investment and peace of mind. My Accord now has 111,000 miles and nothing has ever gone wrong....all routine maintenace and thats it. Runs like the day it was new. Our old Hyundai Elantra was always in the shop for something, and we ditched it at just over 40,000 miles.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:29 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
Toyota Yaris 4DR

way less than 20K, so keep the change

we have the hatch (warning, no cruise control on 08 hatch)

Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Mazda3 - a very reliable brand, excellent bang for the buck (way under 20K), a great all-around performer, and very respectable fuel mileage. Get the manual transmission and it is plenty peppy enough.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:31 PM

582 posts, read 2,038,960 times
stick to a 4cyl who needs to spend an extra $200 a month on gas for a little extra p/u.Stay away from hyundai,kia,mazda,mitsubishi there all junk.I just bought a 2009 camry 4cyl with alloys and a sunroof and we could not be any happier with the gas and the car itself.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 PM

42 posts, read 160,706 times
My mother so far likes the 2008 Lancer the best since its same brand and closed look to her 2000 Mitsubishi Galant.

Hmm, interesting that there are so many comments against Hyundai and even Mitsubishi. My mom 9 year old 2000 Mitsubishi Galant seams to be running just without any problem. Also, my dad's Mitsubishi 5 year old 2003 Outlander is doing just fine too. Never had complaint about expensive repair cost with Mitsubishi.

The old Hyundai may have been junk, but I just love my 2007 Sonata. I bought my 2007 Sonata like 1.5 years ago and it runs just fine. Don't notice any real problem with it at all. In fact, I am sure I would have bought Sonata again if I had chance to back in time and choose a car. My sister also likes 2008 Hyundai Elantra just fine. I am planning on keeping the Sonata for 10 years, so I will find out if real as bad as so many people claim. Though I really doubt there will be too many problems with it, beside the warranty should cover most of it.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
My mother so far likes the 2008 Lancer the best since its same brand and closed look to her 2000 Mitsubishi Galant.

Hmm, interesting that there are so many comments against Hyundai and even Mitsubishi. My mom 9 year old 2000 Mitsubishi Galant seams to be running just without any problem. Also, my dad's Mitsubishi 5 year old 2003 Outlander is doing just fine too. Never had complaint about expensive repair cost with Mitsubishi.

The old Hyundai may have been junk, but I just love my 2007 Sonata. I bought my 2007 Sonata like 1.5 years ago and it runs just fine. Don't notice any real problem with it at all. In fact, I am sure I would have bought Sonata again if I had chance to back in time and choose a car. My sister also likes 2008 Hyundai Elantra just fine. I am planning on keeping the Sonata for 10 years, so I will find out if real as bad as so many people claim. Though I really doubt there will be too many problems with it, beside the warranty should cover most of it.

I believe the 10-year warranty only covers the drive train.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
You get what you pay for. That difference in price will be more than made up when you go to sell or trade the car. Hondas and Toyotas hold their value, Hyundais depreciate FAST.

I don't buy cars to trade in every few years like you. I don't have your money I guess. 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6 55,000 miles no problem.

Although I have a hard time believing that a similarly-equipped Accord or Camry would run that much more than the Sonata.

Umm...I'm sorry its more. Just go check out Consumer Reports.

Even if it did, its worth it for a long term investment and peace of mind. My Accord now has 111,000 miles and nothing has ever gone wrong....all routine maintenace and thats it. Runs like the day it was new. Our old Hyundai Elantra was always in the shop for something, and we ditched it at just over 40,000 miles.
Ahhh... old Elantra. Consumer Reports rated current Hyundai Elantra its highest rated small car now. LOL.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:36 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
stick to a 4cyl who needs to spend an extra $200 a month on gas for a little extra p/u.Stay away from hyundai,kia,mazda,mitsubishi there all junk.I just bought a 2009 camry 4cyl with alloys and a sunroof and we could not be any happier with the gas and the car itself.
How does Consumer Reports rate your Toyota Camry's transmission in recent years? Junk, problematic.
So much for Toyota's reliability.
Why on earth would you get a 4cyl when you can get a 6 cyl vehicle? He stated his mom likes to drive fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive