Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 12:21 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,432 times

Advertisements

Trying to find a used car for under a certain price.
Found one, as I have several times before.

This dealer response says listed price "plus taxes and fees".
And previously, I have chatted with the online sales person and he says "online price non-negotiable".
But I get annoyed when I hear "fees" outside of saying "gov't" or tags, license title, whatever.

How do you reject junk fees in a market that doesn't give much care because they will just sell it to the next person who wants to finance with them at 5% or more? (I have my own.) This will be very soon from their view I'm sure and I've also seen from 4 months of tracking, deals go quickly. I've read up on many videos and blogs and still can't find the logical introduction into "Well, I'll take that car at this price OTD." So I ask what is your current experiences and advice regarding? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 12:34 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
I had a positive experience buying a used vehicle in Summer, 2020.

After doing online research, including posting questions on this site, I decided to buy a used car from a national auto rental company.

The actual experience was fairly stress free. I made an appointment. My salesperson met me in the office and then asked me questions about my needs, budget, and driving habits. He then showed me about a dozen cars and let me test drive as many as I wanted.

Within a few hours, I decided to buy a 2019 car. The salesman gave me its maintenance records, Carfax report, etc. There was a 'no haggle' price policy. And, because I had a loyalty card with this company which I had used for car rentals in the past, I was given a higher than Blue Book trade-in value on my old car.

Buying a car from a rental company might not be for everyone, but based on my experience, I suggest that you consider this option.

Last edited by Nearwest; 06-19-2021 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-19-2021, 04:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post

And previously, I have chatted with the online sales person and he says "online price non-negotiable".
But I get annoyed when I hear "fees" outside of saying "gov't" or tags, license title, whatever.

How do you reject junk fees in a market that doesn't give much care because they will just sell it to the next person who wants to finance with them at 5% or more? (I have my own.) This will be very soon from their view I'm sure and I've also seen from 4 months of tracking, deals go quickly. I've read up on many videos and blogs and still can't find the logical introduction into "Well, I'll take that car at this price OTD." So I ask what is your current experiences and advice regarding? thanks
I've bought over 20+ cars the last few years. Let me give you these advice. Every dealership has fees. What you need to ask before even looking at any car is what is the total out the door fees? Is it just $500 - 2000? Knowing their fee structure allows you to negotiate.

I saw this car for $13k, the market price is around $11-16k. So they priced it low enough where the extra $2k fee will make it $15k. Then I tell the salesman I only want to pay $13k out the door. Then he'll ultimately come back with something around $14k all said and done.

The other way is simply buy from craigslist or facebook marketplace. No fee.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
You don't say what you are looking at, how old and what price. If what they say about used car prices is right, new cars may be even a more attractive option. It was like that even before this summer. A 5 year old Frontier is advertised for $27K. The 2021 brand new Frontier MSRP is $27K! I am sure it's going to be the same for the Tacoma.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:00 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I agree with HappyRider above. We recently were looking for a used Tucson and figured the new one was cheaper than a 2019 ex-rental with close to 40K miles on it.
If you are looking for older cars, look on craigslist and filter by cars for sale by owner. It will take some leg work but you might find something worth your money and time.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Buying used from fleet may be the best option, apart from finding a One-owner / By-owner (only driven on Sundays...)

Depends what you want and if you can get by with a Std Version of that model (fleet spec).

Our local 'Van / car Sharing' operation sells vehicles with minimal mileage (below 50k) for about 50-70% of the NADA. These have pretty light use and regular maint.

Might check into it is such an operation exists in your area.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:26 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Read online ad carefully, particularly, all the asterisk stuff. Doe sit mention anything about any fees et al?
If yes, tough life.
If no, take screen shot and take it to the sales guy.
Likely, you will lose. At least, you'll try. With current boom on used cars, they are hard to budge on their profit.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:26 PM

313 posts, read 207,482 times
COSTCO Auto Program

Old 06-20-2021, 10:30 PM

2,450 posts, read 971,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post

Some fees are just bull****. I just bought a car and the dealership had a $250.00 paperwork processing fee, and a $50 title and registration fee. Those fees are fairly common and reasonable. The dealerships that tack on $750-$1000 fees with no real explanation won't get my business.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:05 AM

572 posts, read 324,861 times
They are always trying to cut something extra but if you negotiate a bit it can be settled but they are tend to get more and more from sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive