Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned getting ticketed for driving too slowly on the freeways. It's not just the freeways, or it wasn't in 70's.

A high school friend went on to became a city policeman. He followed a woman during rush hour on one of the more dangerous streets here. 40 mph limit and she was going 25.

He pulled her over and gave her a ticket for impeding traffic. He told her that what she was doing was dangerous because other drivers were struggling to get around her and she was going to cause an accident. He explained to her how to get from her point A to point B using side streets where the limit was more to her style of her driving.

She fought the ticket and lost. She also received a talking to from the judge in the case.

When I have a tailgater I pull over when I have the chance. I always hope there will actually be a police car somewhere ahead that will catch them speeding and give them a ticket. Around here I've got a better chance of winning Powerball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 05:05 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
I've got a big pickup truck with a trailer hitch on the back bumper and a big 2 inch ball with a bright fluorescent orange cover on the ball, where I used to live at, at one time, in the Metropolitan Washington, DC area, people down there drive crazy around the Capital Beltway, and the guy from Fredericksburg, Virginia knows what I'm talking about, I use to stay with the flow of traffic, which usually meant you were traveling at about 75 to 80mph or standing still, depending on which lane you were in, anytime somebody got a little too close to my rear bumper, I would slow down to the speed limit, now the posted speed limit on the Capital Beltway is 55 mph, that would usually get them off my rear end, if not, they would just have to go around the best way they could, because I guarantee you, they didn't want to hit my rear bumper not with that trailer hitch sticking out there.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeable View Post
Hi. I am one person who is fed up with dealing with aggressive drivers. Does anyone else feel that way? I particularly am frustrated by tailgaters who seem to think they can do it anytime, at will. Darn! I try to slow down, and it does not always work. Many times I am quite surprised at the rudeness of these drivers, but am amazed at how many there are!!

REPLY: It is not just on the roads either. I would caution you not to play games trying to teach these sorts of people a lesson, as, this is how Road Rage comes about often with devastating results. If they tailgate you , just do the speed limit and sooner or later they will pass you . Remember : No finger signaling, no shaking of your fist, no shouting thru an open window at them, no throwing anything at them as they pass you, etc....BUT if you feel so led... phone the local police dept and give them the license number along with car description and tell them there is a very dangerous Driver who may be intoxicated or on drugs who is driving very aggresively. Let the Law Enforcement teach the Guy a lesson. Not you. Okay Good Buddie ?!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I'm more annoyed by people that A) don't look when changing lanes and B) don't signal when changing lanes.

And then C) usually happens...they honk their horn at ME...like *I'M* in the wrong. Okay, so it's happened TWICE in like, four years' worth of driving (out of 20 years of eligibility, I've probably driven a total of four altogether). But people still have problems signaling...like it's broke.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
Talking Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm more annoyed by people that A) don't look when changing lanes and B) don't signal when changing lanes.

And then C) usually happens...they honk their horn at ME...like *I'M* in the wrong. Okay, so it's happened TWICE in like, four years' worth of driving (out of 20 years of eligibility, I've probably driven a total of four altogether). But people still have problems signaling...like it's broke.

About that signal. i tell my wife it must have been optional that year, so their car didn't come with that option LOL

Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They do that in Florida, too?!?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Watched a woman change lanes in front of a motorcycle week before last. Started in the right lane slid across in front of him in the middle lane and slammed on her brakes to keep from rear-ending someone in the left turn lane.

No turn signal, didn't even check her mirror. I happened to be watching her at the time so I know she didn't, Well, I didn't just "happen" to be watching her, I was watching her like a hawk because she was driving like an idiot.

I swear she clipped the front of the bike, but apparently didn't. The biker yelled at her and when I pulled up next to her I let her know what I thought also. Having lost some good friends to morons in cars I have a tendency to get very p*ssed off when I see his.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It's very apparent you don't live where I do. Pick a lane, any lane, if you think changing into a different one will remove you from the front bumper of the jerks around you, it won't.

I have, as a test, driven 75 mph across our freeway when the limit was 55. I was one of the slower cars. It happens so much because the limit simply is not enforced. I drive the freeway often and rarely see a police car or HP. In fact, I see the Highway Helper trucks more than the law.

When the people who are supposed to in charge of regulating and controlling driving habits are doing something other than the above our highways become dangerous.

With the economy going downhill expect it to get worse. People are more stressed and act like self-centered fools in good times, when it gets bad, well, watch out.
You're right, on the two lane road I usually travel the speed limit is 55 and I usually do 60. People will still ride my bumper sometimes, but a few slams on the brakes gives them the message. Nothing like the fear of an airbag in their face to make them back off.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
Talking Ha Ha Ha Ha

You're right, on the two lane road I usually travel the speed limit is 55 and I usually do 60. People will still ride my bumper sometimes, but a few slams on the brakes gives them the message. Nothing like the fear of an airbag in their face to make them back off.

HA HA HA HA. I LAUGHED MY A@#$%^ OFF WHEN I READ THIS. THE PART ABOUT THE AIR BAG IN THE FACE!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post

HA HA HA HA. I LAUGHED MY A@#$%^ OFF WHEN I READ THIS. THE PART ABOUT THE AIR BAG IN THE FACE!!!!!!!
I won't lie, they scare me. Every time someone pulls out in front of me or slams on brakes I think "Oh no, I'm gonna get the airbag". I have never experienced it, but they say it burns.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive