Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 05:38 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I haven't looked at the stats but I don't know one person that switched to EV in the last few years.
I don't either. Not even one.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I think when most of us think of the lifespan of an ICE vehicle, we generally think of milaege, but that's not the case for EVs. For an EV, age may be more important than miles, and I think it's going to be a problem for people who normally buy used vehicles.

From what I can tell, lithium ion batteries in EVs seem to have about a ten year lifespan (less so in the Leaf), and that's when you have cells start to get weak that can reduce range or even make the car undriveable. The problem is that replacement batteries are too expensive. Nobody is going to spend $6k to replace a battery in a car that's only worth $5k.

I worry about this with my Volt, it's now 7 years old, but only has 23k miles. I get the feeling it'll never make it to 100k miles before the traction battery goes bad due to age.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:26 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think when most of us think of the lifespan of an ICE vehicle, we generally think of milaege, but that's not the case for EVs. For an EV, age may be more important than miles, and I think it's going to be a problem for people who normally buy used vehicles.

From what I can tell, lithium ion batteries in EVs seem to have about a ten year lifespan (less so in the Leaf), and that's when you have cells start to get weak that can reduce range or even make the car undriveable. The problem is that replacement batteries are too expensive. Nobody is going to spend $6k to replace a battery in a car that's only worth $5k.

I worry about this with my Volt, it's now 7 years old, but only has 23k miles. I get the feeling it'll never make it to 100k miles before the traction battery goes bad due to age.
The prediction is that an EV battery will last 10 to 20 years. Prices of the batteries will go down over time.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:05 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Nope, sorry.

The energy-density of fossil-fuels is hard to match when used in a vehicle.....batteries pale in comparison.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:21 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
First can we stop saying ICE it makes me want to vomit it's not hard to type combustion engines. Second electric vehicles won't take over because the grid can't handle all that extra demand not even close. Plus electric vehicles aren't better for the environment. Just because the tailpipe of the car doesn't pollute where does all the electric come from? Is that all 100% green energy to generate electricity? The mining for battery materials is that 100% green energy? All of the heavy equipment that runs 24/7/365 When there's a bad accident pileup of electric vehicles what kind of toxins or hazardous fumes are emitted? I read intense heat and toxic gas. That can be said for gasoline engines but the major difference is we already have the infrastructure for gasoline vehicles we don't have to harm the environment to create a whole new system.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Nope, sorry.

The energy-density of fossil-fuels is hard to match when used in a vehicle.....batteries pale in comparison.
This is true, but most people don't need that much energy making batteries a viable option.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:28 PM

636 posts, read 327,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Electric Vehicles Close to ‘Tipping Point’ of Mass Adoption

Starting to look that way. No, it won't be 100% and ICE motors won't be extinct. But the train has left the station and it ain't coming back; automakers are just about fully invested in EV's now.

"Global sales rose 43% in 2020, but even faster growth is anticipated when continuing falls in battery prices bring the price of electric cars dipping below that of equivalent petrol and diesel models, even without subsidies. The latest analyses forecast that to happen some time between 2023 and 2025."

When "peak oil" happens it won't be due to declining production, it'll be from declining demand.
Peak oil is a fairy tale. They been saying the same garbage since long before you or your grandma were born. Some time when you have a few years to do a Masters thesis start with a google search of the theory of "abiotic oil."

The fact that global sales rose 43% in 2020 means nothing, except sale were 43% lower before that. Electric car sales are what % of total car sales in US?

Old 01-23-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanoftheboard View Post
Peak oil is a fairy tale. They been saying the same garbage since long before you or your grandma were born. Some time when you have a few years to do a Masters thesis start with a google search of the theory of "abiotic oil."

The fact that global sales rose 43% in 2020 means nothing, except sale were 43% lower before that. Electric car sales are what % of total car sales in US?
In the US, % of car sales that were plug-in grew at a much higher rate than globally. It essentially tripled from .96% to 2.8%. At this growth rate, plug-in vehicles will have a significant share of all vehicles sold in just a few years. I don't expect this growth rate, however... but it won't be long.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:36 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
The linked article sure does seem like it's trying to sell me something. Good products sell themselves and don't need to be hyped. When the upsides to BEV's outweigh the downsides, I'll probably buy one. Not before, and certainly, not yet.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:41 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think so yet. Because the $25k CUV EV has yet to appear. Which Tesla could be announcing. The only thing is we just don't have the infrastructure yet to support 100k EVs on the road each state yet. It will likely cause blackouts in many cities.
Considering that most EV charging seems to take place overnight via homeport charging "stations" when electricity use is nowhere near its daily peak, I wonder how true this is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive