U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 06:59 PM

835 posts, read 327,600 times

Advertisements

I did a lot of test driving today. I went to this place where there is a bunch of dealers all in a row on one road and test drove all the vehicles I am interested in. I drove a mix of makes and models some even in different classes. I learned a lot about cars looking good in theory not panning out to be good for me.

I pretty much narrowed down my choices to two: Subaru Crosstrek and Mazda CX-30 (the CX-30 wasn't even on my radar before, I wanted a CX-5 and a CX-30 is almost the same price so I figured get CX-5. But I didn't like the feel of the CX-5 when I drove it. It was too big and awkward to me. I wanted it to be smaller and that CX-30 in the showroom looked like it fit the bill).

Anyway. So now I am torn. I took notes halfway though and at the end of each test drive. Looking at those notes, I have just as many pros as I do cons for both vehicles (but for the most part they really aren't that different). I think I lean towards the CX-30... but then I like the better gas mileage and range of the Crosstrek. Then I think I like the Crosstrek and then I think about the CVT in it and like the CX-30 again. The prices are pretty similar too. Although the CX-30 is cheaper... but then I am drawn to the Crosstrek's (maybe) cheaper insurance and fuel costs with better gas mileage. I said maybe cheaper insurance because called the insurance agent to get a quote on both and I am waiting for that.

When you are torn between two or even more vehicles, how do you decide?

I swear it wasn't this hard with my Vibe I bought 17 years ago. It was a one of a kind... well, there was the Matrix (same car) but the Vibe was cheaper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 07:58 PM

11,212 posts, read 12,817,933 times
Here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Try to rent each one of them for a weekend or a week so you can get a better feel for which you enjoy driving more.

2. Flip a coin. How you feel after the coin toss will tell you which one you really want to buy.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:17 PM

12,780 posts, read 25,575,860 times
Look at resale value. Crosstrek by a landslide.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:20 PM

962 posts, read 510,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
If I were buying new off the lot, this would be one of the most important factors.

I'd probably buy Toyota.

And that's also why I don't buy new off the lot.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

1. Try to rent each one of them for a weekend or a week so you can get a better feel for which you enjoy driving more.

2. Flip a coin. How you feel after the coin toss will tell you which one you really want to buy.

Your first idea is such a simple one I wonder why I didn't think of it. I just need to figure out who rents what. Getting the trim I want might be hard though. I am looking at higher end trims and I think rentals are usually more basic. And it does make a difference in engine size.

I did the coin flip and it came up Mazda and I said, "Okay" to myself. I didn't even try a best out of three flips or anything. Maybe that's telling me something.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post

I drive my cars until they die so resale is irrelevant to me. In fact, it's a negative since my state charges yearly property tax based on the value of the car.

Driving my cars until they die is also part of the reason I am struggling with car shopping. It's been 17 years since I last bought a car and so much about cars has changed. They are like spaceships inside now. haha.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Okay, this may be a stupid follow up question. How do you find a place that rents a specific car? Every place I look I can't find the models I want or even the makes. I even tried a site called Turo (like air B&B for cars) and I couldn't find any Mazda CX-30s near me or a Subau Crosstrek.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:00 PM

10,523 posts, read 18,912,263 times
Mazda and Subaru are also probably some of the less common fleet sellers to rental companies. When Hertz was trimming their fleet last year, there seemed to be 50 Hyundais or Nissans for every base model Forrester they had. And the CX-30 and Crosstrek are both popular enough that their manufacturers can sell almost all to all of what they make to dealers/single buyers at a better price than they'd get selling bulk to rental car companies.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:39 AM

33,213 posts, read 52,531,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Your first idea is such a simple one I wonder why I didn't think of it. I just need to figure out who rents what. Getting the trim I want might be hard though. I am looking at higher end trims and I think rentals are usually more basic. And it does make a difference in engine size.

I did the coin flip and it came up Mazda and I said, "Okay" to myself. I didn't even try a best out of three flips or anything. Maybe that's telling me something.
My daughter in Fl bought a used Mazda mid size CX5 suv about 10 yrs ago and the only issue she really had was needing to run a special cable to plug her Apple Music device into when she drove
She upgraded to a minivan 2 yrs and got a new Pacifica because the seats fold down totally flat and some other reasons...has been very happy with it...

I drove her Mazda and loved the acceleration and handling...

Old 02-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Mazda and Subaru are also probably some of the less common fleet sellers to rental companies. When Hertz was trimming their fleet last year, there seemed to be 50 Hyundais or Nissans for every base model Forrester they had. And the CX-30 and Crosstrek are both popular enough that their manufacturers can sell almost all to all of what they make to dealers/single buyers at a better price than they'd get selling bulk to rental car companies.

Yeah, I've been having no luck finding rentals. I gave up.

Quote:

Okay I seriously did flip a coin last night and it came up Mazda and I've been pursing that. No change of mind even this morning. Haha... I guess that was the easiest method.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 02-07-2021 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive