Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 10:28 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times

Advertisements

Liked Coopers and used them many times; but betting Goodyear will destroy them. That's my opinion and that's all it is.

Guess I'll just stick with Toyo.
Goodyear, Cooper $2.8B deal creates U.S. tire leader

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...-s-tire-leader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 10:35 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
For me i's Firestone, I'll never buy another one. I was driving on interstate 40 when one blew out and I don't mean it went flat, what I mean is the whole inside of the tire (toward the center of the car) separated and turned into several hundred pieces of rubber bouncing down the highway.

And then to make it even worse another tire did the same thing a few hundred miles further down the road.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:43 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Liked Coopers and used them many times; but betting Goodyear will destroy them. That's my opinion and that's all it is.

Guess I'll just stick with Toyo.
Goodyear, Cooper $2.8B deal creates U.S. tire leader

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...-s-tire-leader
Ive only had 2 sets of Coopers, on my second set now. I have never ever been a fan of Goodforayears. Of course I could say I wont buy Coopers again now, but if I still see good reviews in the future I will probably get them again.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Mergers in the automotive supply industry happens all the time.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:21 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Mergers in the automotive supply industry happens all the time.
Truth.

The Cooper tire you liked/hated 5 or 10 years ago is probably not the Cooper tire being sold today.

Just like home appliances.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:36 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
For me i's Firestone, I'll never buy another one. I was driving on interstate 40 when one blew out and I don't mean it went flat, what I mean is the whole inside of the tire (toward the center of the car) separated and turned into several hundred pieces of rubber bouncing down the highway.

And then to make it even worse another tire did the same thing a few hundred miles further down the road.

Same thing happened to my Dad back in the 1970s. He was an early adopter of steel-belted radials. Unfortunately, they were the infamous Firestone 500s. That was over 40 years, so I don't hold it against Firestone.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:44 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Same thing happened to my Dad back in the 1970s. He was an early adopter of steel-belted radials. Unfortunately, they were the infamous Firestone 500s. That was over 40 years, so I don't hold it against Firestone.
I'm still pissed at Goodyear because one of their branded stores (which is a franchise) scratched the alloy wheels on my car back in 1987. I still haven't forgotten.

Thinking on this, I really should get over it.

BTW - I got a great deal on Cooper tires 2 years ago and really dislike them due to poor wet weather traction. I should have stuck with the Yokohama or Kumho tires I have great luck with.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Truth.

The Cooper tire you liked/hated 5 or 10 years ago is probably not the Cooper tire being sold today.

Just like home appliances.
I agree.........

Old 02-22-2021, 04:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Spend enough time in motorcycles and cars, tires de jour come and go. I've seen a lot since 1984 when I started to pay attention to cars and bikes.

Back in the 1980s Metzeler pretty much had non-radials locked up for sport motorcycles. Bias-belt, I think they were called. Radials first appeared c. 1987 in the US that I recall; tires are technology. Point being, Metzeler disappeared into some sort of obscurity though they probably carved out other niches. Then it was Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin, and who knows what all across decades. Weirdest to me was Pirellis, which were THE last word in racing slicks for a few years. So what, that's just what everyone used at the track because they totally worked. Then Dunlop dethroned them...again.

We go through this all the time on the Mustang group to this day, what tire is best for Shelby GT350s. Answer: "it depends!"

My Land Cruiser (2013 model) came with Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus Truck Tires. Guessing they're half worn, on average across all four. I find them highly agreeable...for my specific use case. Land Cruisers are a great example of "it depends!" as many are in the Middle East (flat, hot), some in mud holes on lifted suspension from Nevada to Canberra AUS, some in suburbia USA (raises hand) and who knows what and where else.

If a year from next Thursday or whenever I need a tire someone mentions "Michelins are the way to go, for the following reasons and...." I'll switch to them in about one point one seconds. Who cares who owns what? Coopers are tires de jour for LC200s for suburban flatlanders in Seattle WA, where driving rain rules the day for half the year. And...?

Old 02-22-2021, 05:23 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Swore I'd never use B-Stones on a bike, until my Triumph came with them. Was totally impressed with their feedback. Front is bias, rear is radial, go figure. Anyway, they've been working for me, like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTxdE498Lws&t=9s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive