Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 08:18 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ever seen those ISIS photos. Small Toyota Pickups with a 50 Caliber machine gun and 4 guys sitting in the back.
There was the guy who was some sort of general contractor or plumber or such in Texas who didn't take the business decals off his old work truck before trading it in, it went to auction, and then it eventually showed up in all kinds of news footage as an ISIS truck in Somalia with his business info still across the sides of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 10:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There was the guy who was some sort of general contractor or plumber or such in Texas who didn't take the business decals off his old work truck before trading it in, it went to auction, and then it eventually showed up in all kinds of news footage as an ISIS truck in Somalia with his business info still across the sides of it.
That was pretty crazy, I think he sued the dealership also.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:10 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's what I had, a 2007 Ranger, 4.0 V6. It was a great truck, I only traded it in after we bought a 25' travel trailer and brought it home 41 miles. The Ranger actually pulled it, even up the hills, but being so much longer the trailer seemed like it was pushing the truck rather than the truck pulling. White knuckle scary! It was tow rated 6,000 lbs. and the trailer was close to 5,000. My F150 is rated for 9,200.
My Pa bought an Airstream many moons ago. I went with him to pick it up. It was fairly large, something like a 24-footer, but being an Airstream it was still fairly light. Anyhow, I was shocked to find that the couple he bought it from pulled that thing around with an Explorer Sport Trac. I wouldn’t pull something that large with a Sport Trac as the prime mover. That had to be unpleasant.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
My Pa bought an Airstream many moons ago. I went with him to pick it up. It was fairly large, something like a 24-footer, but being an Airstream it was still fairly light. Anyhow, I was shocked to find that the couple he bought it from pulled that thing around with an Explorer Sport Trac. I wouldn’t pull something that large with a Sport Trac as the prime mover. That had to be unpleasant.
Depends on how far and how often. If it's pulled 20 miles to a race once a year and 40 miles to a campground three times a year that's different than pulling it all over the country.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:21 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Depends on how far and how often. If it's pulled 20 miles to a race once a year and 40 miles to a campground three times a year that's different than pulling it all over the country.
That’s very true, for occasional use it’s fine. I don’t know how far or often they roamed. But it was in Iowa, where wind is your constant companion.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:54 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
"Small" doesn't really exist at the moment in pickup land, so there's that.
Even half-tons are comically too tall. Apparently, everybody wants to play Monster Truck Show, or at least car makers think they do.
4-wheel drives are the norm just about everywhere it seems. When I was a kid in the south, 2-wheel drives were the most common. 4x4 costs more all around.
Technology. Automatics are stupidly over-engineered, and people are too lazy to reach down and move a lever once in a while... but they sure can manipulate a cell phone pretty well at 80mph....
Even the old automatics were quite easy to fix. Yank the overdrive tail housing off of a Dodge if it gave you problems and just fix that one part. Tighten the bands, then go on your way. On a Ford, stick a 2 dollar servo piston in if needed. Similar with GM. Valve bodies weren't intimidating.
Full rebuilds were under 2k usually.

4 cylinder, 5 speed Toyota's, Nissan's, and Rangers were all decent little no-frills trucks that never should have went away. Kind of glad the S-10 went away. Those were pitiful. GM did vastly better with its full size.

Trucks are trendy for now hence the prices. That might change in 5-10 years, who knows.
I think another thing is that they're perceived as being sturdier, which for the most part is true with a few exceptions.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:17 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRoadboss View Post
We really need a new updated $5,995 (1985) Mazda type truck. Small, compact, good gas mileage- utilitarian.
I had a 1986 B2000 (the new body style) in summer of 1985 and put around 160K on it before selling.

Body was perfect at the end, but I blew the head gasket and since I didn't need the truck any longer I let it go for a song.

I so wish I could have a truck like that again! These new Rangers and Colorado's don't appeal to me at all.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:16 PM

24,101 posts, read 32,460,014 times
There appears to be almost a cult-like market for old Toyota pick-ups. They are said to "run forever." If the body is OK they retain value.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:25 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Cheap trucks (used) went out-the-window when stupid people were willing to pay $120 large for a pick-up. Seems they still are...

Old 04-13-2021, 12:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I had a 1986 B2000 (the new body style) in summer of 1985 and put around 160K on it before selling.

Body was perfect at the end, but I blew the head gasket and since I didn't need the truck any longer I let it go for a song.

I so wish I could have a truck like that again! These new Rangers and Colorado's don't appeal to me at all.
I had a 1987 B2000 supercab, had a lot of fun with that truck. I remember having to pay extra to add a rear bumper. Eventually I traded it in on a full size Bronco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive