Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 01:25 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Actually, excessive blowby can cause elevated crankcase pressure, which creates a tendency for oil to migrate up out of the crankcase - especially through worn valve guides and valve guide seals.

Since OP hasn't done a compression test or a leakdown test, has only observed excessive oil accumulation in the valve area of one bank vs. the other, he's assuming that there's excessive blowby raising crankcase pressure. It's equally plausible that either the crankcase vent system is plugged up, or that in various rounds of disassembly and reassembly it got misconnected, and that's why crankcase pressure is high.

It could also be that valve guide seals on the one cylinder head are NFG, or that one or more of the seals was left out altogether in reassembly, or any number of other issues.

Hi again....
  • -Oil is definitely coming up into the spark-plug chambers and causing 'mis-firing' (the cylinders are soaked).
  • -I understand that blowby pressure is forcing oil up and into the valve cover at a rate higher than normal
QUESTION(s)
  • -How will a leak down or compression test help me (at this point), knowing the issue is coming from the Front (right side) of motor?
NOTE: Uploaded video shot 2 hrs ago (beware...foul language used), so if 'your delicate' don't watch~

VIDEO

Thanks for your input...~

Last edited by Balkins; 04-13-2021 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 01:48 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Hi again....
  • -Oil is definitely coming up into the spark-plug chambers and causing 'mis-firing' (the cylinders are soaked).
  • -I understand that blowby pressure is forcing oil up and into the valve cover at a rate higher than normal
QUESTION(s)
  • -How will a leak down or compression test help me (at this point), knowing the issue is coming from the Front (right side) of motor?
NOTE: Uploaded video shot 2 hrs ago (beware...foul language used), so if 'your delicate' don't watch~

VIDEO

Thanks for your input...~

A dry compression test indicates leakage past piston rings and valve seals. A wet compression test indicates leakage past valve seals only, so you can decide whether the leakage is at piston rings or valve seals. You'll also find out which cylinder is the problem.

If both dry and wet compression tests are in spec, you've got a problem with venting. To diagnose that you'll have to understand the details of your engine's venting system.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:09 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
You dropped something down in the cylinder and didnt know it, scored the cylinder wall. Is the spark plug even in that cylinder in the video. (I couldnt hear it, no speakers at work)

Old 04-13-2021, 03:32 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
What is possibility that normal oil flow into the valve cover area ( for rocker arms etc) is not draining back into crankcase due to clogged drain passages in that cylinder head?

Old 04-13-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
What is possibility that normal oil flow into the valve cover area ( for rocker arms etc) is not draining back into crankcase due to clogged drain passages in that cylinder head?
Possible but the drain passages from the valve area back into the crankcase are generally large.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Possible but the drain passages from the valve area back into the crankcase are generally large.
Hi turf

Were u able to watch the video?

We doubt the crankcase vent system is bad because its blowing exhaust out.

Last edited by Balkins; 04-13-2021 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-13-2021, 08:05 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Open up What...Can you be more specific?

As i said,...the problem is affecting the FRONT head / values to where EXCESS BLOWBY is coming into FRONT value cover.

Thanks very much

A compression-test and a leakdown-test should give you a VERY good idea where to look for the
damage. Clean that baby until it is spotless-shiny, get in very good lighting and use a magnifying-glass if you have to...........you can find the problem.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:42 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I don't think this is what I understand as blowby - piston ring leakage mostly, into the crankcase. Both heads are exposed to the same crankcase.

Sometimes it's not obvious just looking at it, but maybe the front head is physically lower than the rear head, that is, the engine is tilted forward?

Old 04-14-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't think this is what I understand as blowby - piston ring leakage mostly, into the crankcase. Both heads are exposed to the same crankcase.

Sometimes it's not obvious just looking at it, but maybe the front head is physically lower than the rear head, that is, the engine is tilted forward?

Research 'Excess Engine Blowby'....its a common problem.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Well, if there's a lot of blowby and increased crankcase pressure, there could easily be a design issue that causes oil buildup in one valve gallery more than the other. It's not clear to me whether the oil buildup is in the valve gallery or the combustion chambers. Valve galleries failing to drain wouldn't foul spark plugs, I don't think. If the heads are "hemi" type with the spark plug passing through the valve gallery then a bad gasket around the spark plug could cause external fouling, but still not on the plug electrode.

If there's oil fouling on the the electrodes of the spark plugs, then either the rings or the valve seals or both are shot. In the category of "rings shot" are: rings stuck in the groove and not actuating - possibly due to goop that was put in the engine; rings broken; rings worn down to end of life; and scoring of cylinder walls, whether minor enough to require honing, or major enough to require re-boring.

First step is a dry and wet compression test on each cylinder. Second step is PROBABLY to remove the heads and inspect each cylinder wall with a strong light, and inspect the valve train. Depending on the valve mechanism, milling the heads could result in an alteration of valve geometry so the valves are prone to side load which will wear the guides and seals prematurely.

Excessive crankcase pressure comes from two sources: 1) Excessive blowby (piston rings); 2) Plugged up ventilation system (usually, sludge in the PCV lines (or whatever current terminology is)). if you've got worn piston rings, or scored cylinder walls, you have to fix that before you move to other things.

I don't envy OP having to do a compression test on a transverse mount V6. Those rear spark plug holes are going to be a bear to get the compression tester on. But it's the next step in diagnosis. Just another reason why I avoid transverse mount V engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive