Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The problem I have is that most drivers on the road are bad careless drivers to begin with......
miu, I believe you have stated an opinion, not a fact. The proven truth is most drivers are not careless. Most drivers do know how to control their vehicles. This is not my opinion, but well demonstrated fact from state traffic v. accident records and springs out to any unbiased analyst. If this weren't the case commute traffic would be even worse than it is - rendering most large cities traffic patterns almost impassable. So imho your third paragraph is hyperbole, and weakens your position.

I fully agree there are far too many careless drivers. And far too many who don't know how to safely and responsibly operate their vehicles, whatever their size. This speaks to the lack of seriousness with which our legislatures and law enforcement treat traffic and licensing issues. The main problem I have with your position is the "nanny state" issue, and on that one we'll probably just have to agree to disagree.

But all of this is a side issue. Back to CB'ers v, cellphone users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 07:03 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,105 times
I've been cut off (pulled in front of, they apparently didn't see me) because the driver had the phone on their ear and it blocked their peripheral vision on that side of their head...I've seen this MULTIPLE times...CBs you hold to your mouth and don't block on whole side of your vision with...I've now started to see many truck drivers on their cell phones which REALLY scares me.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
While I do not like the idea of people who drive around with a cell phone wedged in their damn ear and unable to go the speed limit, stay straight in their lane, etc....how do you feel about someone who uses their c.b.?

A guy in my shop seems to think you are just as much distracted with a c.b. as with a cell phone in your ear. (NOTE: blue tooths and hands free's don't count)

Quite honestly I don't ever seem to recall anyone with a c.b. having trouble with distractions like cell phones.
Both are distractions, but in the hands of new drivers or drivers with ADD a cell phone is pretty dangerous. Most people I know with CB's are professional drivers or people who otherwise pay attention to what they are doing and multi-task well. You don't see that demographic with cell phones.

All that said - as my wife recently put it to me and I agree with "I think cell phones while driving are dangerous - but I don't want to give up my right to be on one." For long stretches of boring driving being able to talk on the cell phone is something I want to be able to do without getting a ticket.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
It's not the device, its the yahoo using it. There's alot of people who don't pay attention to what they are doing regardless; whether they are talking on the cell, fiddling with the radio, or heck even driving along doing absolutely nothing besides driving. Personally I think it's nonsense to keep placing the emphasis on the cell-phone instead of the driver.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
...I've now started to see many truck drivers on their cell phones which REALLY scares me.
First, handsfree laws should apply to professional and non-professional drivers alike, so if your state requires handsfree and you can "see" drivers on cell phones, they are wrong.

Having said that, professional drivers (truckers) are tested and held to much, much higher standards than the rest of us. They check traffic conditions blocks ahead (instead of car lengths), and every few seconds scan through their mirrors. They are taught to keep track of the exact location of surrounding vehicles, so as to be prepared to take evasive action if it suddenly becomes necessary. So most truckers - and trucks - are safer to be around than the average driver, even though they are huge. But of course truckers can also prove to be exceptions if "pushing the hours" in their log books. So anywhere late at night, and when among in-bound metropolitan truck traffic arriving from long distances its best to be alert for the occasional lane drifter, pill popper or sleepy head.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
First, handsfree laws should apply to professional and non-professional drivers alike, so if your state requires handsfree and you can "see" drivers on cell phones, they are wrong.
Hands-free laws are stupid because they accomplish nothing except to allow politicians to pretend like they're doing something. Either cell-phone use while driving should be banned, or it shouldn't.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM

Thumbs up Maybe a new idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hands-free laws are stupid because they accomplish nothing except to allow politicians to pretend like they're doing something. Either cell-phone use while driving should be banned, or it shouldn't.
Not arguing with Drover on this, but want to propose a new (to me) thought!

Why not designate certain "non-challenging" portions of interstate freeways or toll roads as cell phone usage areas? Portions that might be five or more miles long between construction zones, interchanges and/or lane compaction areas? Areas where absolute vigilance isn't totally necessary just to navigate safely through the zone?

Obviously this would not include roads within most major cities, or wherever traffic congestion normally occurs. But speaking as a westerner who sometimes travels uninterrupted 25 or more miles between places, it seems logical to facilitate some time-saving strategies in "safe" areas, while banning it in the more dangerous locales. Could accidents happen? Sure. But would there be incidence of occurrence rates high enough to warrant giving up our freedoms? Probably not. And this could be a logical compromise.

Feel free to throw rocks at this idea. As always, I stand ready to be humiliated, corrected and informed.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that cellphone users get more involved in their conversations. And I think that old school cb radio users are extra careful about putting their driving first and using the radio in a more formal careful way with keeping their full attention on the road. CB lingo is short and efficient, cellphone users just babble. Truckers also are better about using their mirrors and turn signals while driving.

Car people and cellphones are a bad combination
because I believe regular people start talking on their cellphones like they are home in their living rooms. They start taking more of their attention away from their driving. Then they skip using their turn signals.
Well said.

I think it's Living Room Syndrome.
Too many folks think vehicles are essentially mobile living rooms.
Driving is at best a secondary distraction, but certainly not the primary mission.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Not arguing with Drover on this, but want to propose a new (to me) thought!

Why not designate certain "non-challenging" portions of interstate freeways or toll roads as cell phone usage areas? Portions that might be five or more miles long between construction zones, interchanges and/or lane compaction areas? Areas where absolute vigilance isn't totally necessary just to navigate safely through the zone?

Obviously this would not include roads within most major cities, or wherever traffic congestion normally occurs. But speaking as a westerner who sometimes travels uninterrupted 25 or more miles between places, it seems logical to facilitate some time-saving strategies in "safe" areas, while banning it in the more dangerous locales. Could accidents happen? Sure. But would there be incidence of occurrence rates high enough to warrant giving up our freedoms? Probably not. And this could be a logical compromise.

Feel free to throw rocks at this idea. As always, I stand ready to be humiliated, corrected and informed.

I think we can make laws and regulations till we're blue in the face... if people can't make a sound judgement in the first place, what good does it *really* do. The problem is that common sense... isn't so common anymore. Babysitter laws aren't going to change that.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
I like listenin' to mah cee bee radidio 'cause all th' drivers goin' the other way tell me I'm lookin' GOOD! (Never mind, it's a silly truck driver joke...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive