U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 12:03 PM

7,749 posts, read 4,848,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This is true. I daily a 34-year old Civic. Sometimes it’s downright hilarious how small it is next to other vehicles.
I have a 17-year-old Civic that I bought new and it's crazy when I see the size of the new Civics, they're ginormous compared to my 2004 model!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 01:15 PM

9,320 posts, read 3,517,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The weight on the website has to be an error.

Weight Neighborhood K23 No-Haggle Price $22,499
Curb Weight 1,163 lbs
GVWR 2,895 lbs

Maybe they forgot to convert kg to lbs? 1,163 kg = 2,558 lbs. Looks about right.

BTW I don't know if the Kandi is street legal? There's no NHTSA crash test online. Maybe Kandi calls it the "neighborhood vehicle" because you can only drive it where golf carts are allowed on the street.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:38 PM

9,576 posts, read 4,562,947 times
Big stuff just sells better. People that can’t afford new big vehicles just buy old ones. They way they sell BEV’s is by posting 0-60 times and long ranges.
Smart cars only comes in a BEV and they only sold 600 in the US in 2019.
They’re very affordable but nobody cares.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:39 PM

11,135 posts, read 11,893,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
BTW I don't know if the Kandi is street legal? There's no NHTSA crash test online. Maybe Kandi calls it the "neighborhood vehicle" because you can only drive it where golf carts are allowed on the street.
I don't see any indication of that, but as the less than 30 hp produced by the car's front-mounted electric motor leaves this 2,271-pound EV with a top speed of 63 mph. Driving range, meanwhile, stands at a manufacturer-estimated 100 miles with the car's 17.7-kWh battery pack fully charged. So as a practical matter, I wouldn't drive it on a divided highway even if it was posted at a speed limit of 55 mph.

This is not the first EV that this company tried to sell in America The original vehicle from 2009 was advertised as a "neighborhood electric vehicle" with a top speed of 25 miles per hour and a maximum range of 60 miles per charge. In order for a golf cart to be street-legal, it needs to meet speeds of 20 miles per hour.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
They way they sell BEV’s is by posting 0-60 times and long ranges. Smart cars only comes in a BEV and they only sold 600 in the US in 2019. They’re very affordable but nobody cares.
That's my feeling as well. Most people purchase a BEV for performance first, and secondarily so they don't feel guilty. If you took away the performance most people wouldn't bother with the inconvenience.

However, in a world where the sale of internal combusion engine vehicles are prohibited, then there will be a mass of buyers who can't afford a performance car and don't want to ride in driverless taxis or public transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJdwsIpdvXw

Will other states follow?

Old 05-01-2021, 02:56 PM

12,914 posts, read 10,802,784 times
Quote:
Discontinued models
  1. Ford Fiesta (2019),
  2. Nissan Micra (2019),
  3. Smart Fortwo (2019),
  4. Fiat 500 (2019),
  5. Toyota Yaris (2020),
  6. Honda Fit (2020), and
  7. Chevrolet Sonic (2020).

I think this is the remaining sub-compact models with MSRP and 2020 sales.

From $13,600 31,280 Chevrolet Spark
From $14,295 26,966 Mitsubishi Mirage
From $14,980 6,926 Nissan Versa
From $16,050 2,052 Kia Rio
From $15,395 1,559 Hyundai Accent

The Kia Corporation is minority owned by Hyundai, which holds a 33.88% stake valued at just over US$6 billion.
The Kia Rio and Hyundai accent share a common platform.

Maybe two wheel electric vehicles will fill this market in the future.

One advantage of this two wheeled vehicle to renters is that the range may meet or exceed current ICE automobiles. So you will be able to charge at roughly the same frequency as you currently fill a car with gasoline. It will make it easier for a renter without a plug to own a BEV.
I’d consider a four wheel vehicle with heat and AC single seat over this design. Summer in south Louisiana is just too hot and humid to ride to work in this fishbowl of an electric motorcycle

Old 05-01-2021, 05:56 PM

323 posts, read 138,720 times
Where I live, from what has been posted, electric cars will just not work. I live ten miles out on a dirt road from a dinky small town. And about 90 miles from what people call a real city with fast food places and a Walmart. It gets sub zero temps, ALL DAY, SOMETIMES WEEKS AT A TIME, a couple three months of the year. Heck, there are some weeks my 2013 Chevy Impala won’t even start inside the garage. I’ve NEVER seen a Tesla way out here in the bush on a muddy, icy road. And I’ve only seen one in this state with a license plate of this state. So these electrical cars will be for city people who live in warm climates and nice paved roads.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Where I live, from what has been posted, electric cars will just not work.
I don't know what state you live in.

Everyone is for clean air, but not all states are willing to go to extreme lengths like bannig all gasoline cars.

For instance in Pennsylvania they are very resistent to emissions testings. PA initially set up emissions testing in 9 counties around Philadelphia and Pittsburgh (out of 67 counties in the state). The state was sued by the federal government and they were forced to expand to 25 counties. But that is a cost of roughly $40-$50 per automobile per year. The state is trying to change the requirement so that only cars over 8 years old must be tested.

Bottom line is that I doubt Pennsylvania will ban gasoline cars in the next 30 years, and will only do it if the federal government threatens them .

The funny thing is that the states where electricity is the most expensive and where they can't generate enough power to meet their own needs are the states that favor Zero Emission Vehicle policy. States like Louisiana and West Virginia, and the Dakotas where electricity is plentiful and cheap are the ones that are the last likely to give up their gasoline cars.

Currently there are nine states that have adopted California's ZEV regulations (as well as low-emission vehicle regulations): Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.

Washington and Oregon are also considering a ban in 2035.

Notice that there is not a single state that voted Republican since Ronald Reagan among the group. These are the states that have voted only for Democratic candidates since Reagan.
  1. California
  2. Connecticut
  3. Maine
  4. Maryland
  5. Massachusetts
  6. New York
  7. New Jersey
  8. Oregon
  9. Rhode Island
  10. Vermont
  11. Washington
  12. Illinois
  13. Delaware
  14. Hawaii
  15. Minnesota
  16. D.C.

Norway has set up financial penalties that are so severe that they believe that 100% of customers of new cars will purchase BEV cars in 4 years. They hope not to have to resort to a legal ban. It helps that gasoline is almost $8 a gallon.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 05-01-2021 at 06:54 PM..

Old 05-01-2021, 06:48 PM

5,279 posts, read 2,118,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I have a 17-year-old Civic that I bought new and it's crazy when I see the size of the new Civics, they're ginormous compared to my 2004 model!
I hope this photo shows up. That’s my little ride amongst the raft of biggies.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:03 AM

1,056 posts, read 245,547 times
Quote:
AFAIK only three subscompact sedans are going to be sold in 2022. All three have 1.6 liter engines.
34 mpg From $14,980 Nissan Versa
36 mpg From $16,050 Kia Rio
36 mpg From $15,395 Hyundai Accent

Rio and Accent share a platform.

The Honda Fit, Chevrolet Sonic, Toyota Yaris, and Ford Fiesta are all discontinued.

Do yout think the subcompact is gone forever, or will this size return as an affordable BEV city car when California and Massachussets (and possibly other states) prohibit the sale of gasoline engines?
No I don't think they are fine forever. They just aren't big sellers here in the states because Americans like big cars. There will always be people who like the little cars.

There will be less options but you don't really buy them for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive