Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 09:43 AM

17,473 posts, read 17,309,875 times

Advertisements

This thought came to me when looking at my wife’s Hyundai Kona. The top set of lights aren’t headlights. They’re actually the low powered DRL. What looks like they could be fog lights are actually the headlights and they’re nearly the same height from the ground as my Elantra. With some vehicles being raised so high should there be a height limit on headlights (from ground to lights) on new vehicles? Some trucks are so very high, even without being lifted, that their headlights, located just below the hood, shine directly into the passenger compartment of most vehicles not of the same height as the truck. Even some big rigs don’t have headlights as high up as these trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 11:54 AM

7,467 posts, read 13,467,434 times
According to the FMVSS 571.108, there is a mounting height range specified;

"All Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles (MPV), Trucks, and Buses
Not less than 22 inches (55.9 cm) nor more than 54 inches (137.2 cm)"

See Table 1A at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...e49.6.571_1108

So at 54" = 4.5 feet that can seem pretty high.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

Wow! That is high! I would think no more than 3 feet would be fine.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,509,264 times
It's not just the height but mainly the direction and have adaptive lights that turns as you steer. How many times you are on a curve and the traffic opposite blinds you with their headlights and the driver could not see as the car turns or they have to get the double bulb setup.

Lately I see a lot of morons with a long light bar on the top or bottom while driving around urban areas. What are they trying to do? Light up the whole block?

Old 06-13-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's not just the height but mainly the direction and have adaptive lights that turns as you steer. How many times you are on a curve and the traffic opposite blinds you with their headlights and the driver could not see as the car turns or they have to get the double bulb setup.

Lately I see a lot of morons with a long light bar on the top or bottom while driving around urban areas. What are they trying to do? Light up the whole block?
In most areas those light bars are illegal to have turned on when on public roads. They’re only for off-road use.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:50 AM

841 posts, read 543,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

FMVSS standards are for vehicles when they are sold as new by the OEM. So in this case if the lights are raised after purchase then it doesn't apply, but probably should.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:39 AM

61,131 posts, read 85,956,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In most areas those light bars are illegal to have turned on when on public roads. They’re only for off-road use.
Lots of modifications are illegal, but no one seem to care.
I am even more disgusted by the blue or super white headlights and bright HID bulbs that could illuminate whole football field.
Most states require high beams to be dimmed within 500 feet of another vehicle. Is that enforced? Of course, not.
Some drivers use high beams, and fog lights and light rigs 24/7. They remind me on those who blast their speakers and lower the windows. Low life screaming for attention.
Funny, often the cheaper the car, the more "modification" it has.
Truck owners are particularly keen on lifting the suspension of their vehicles. Which of course lift the headlights too.

Not to mention obnoxiously loud, throaty engine roars. Sadly, Texas has no vehicle noise rules at all, which means that anything goes when it comes to engine noise.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:58 AM

4,025 posts, read 2,941,947 times
Quote:
This thought came to me when looking at my wife’s Hyundai Kona. The top set of lights aren’t headlights. They’re actually the low powered DRL. What looks like they could be fog lights are actually the headlights and they’re nearly the same height from the ground as my Elantra. With some vehicles being raised so high should there be a height limit on headlights (from ground to lights) on new vehicles? Some trucks are so very high, even without being lifted, that their headlights, located just below the hood, shine directly into the passenger compartment of most vehicles not of the same height as the truck. Even some big rigs don’t have headlights as high up as these trucks.
Your Hyundai Kona (61") and Hyundai Elantra (56") are on the low side for today's vehicles. By contrast, the Buick lineup ranges from 64" to 70". The Cadillac Escalade is 77". I run parking lights + fog lights under low light conditions (when it is not dark enough to require headlights) precisely to keep my headlights out of other drivers' eyes. I could not do this when I had a 2014 Toyota Tacoma regular cab (70") because it had neither fog lights nor the necessary wiring harness. However, its headlights had a sharp vertical cutoff.

This will become less of a problem as the sedans are discontinued due to lack of demand.

As far as using my brights, that would require at least 30 seconds between oncoming traffic to make it worth the effort. Where I live, this has not been the case for a long time. For the same reason, I do not use cruise control, as I would want to keep it on for at least 5 minutes at a time.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:00 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,198,574 times
Quote:

Sadly, i see them used all the time, blinding the hell out of people.

Couple weeks back i witnessed a truck that had an LED bare on the bumper, and one on the cab lit up, in addition to HID or LED retrofits in the headlights and foglights. You could have landed an airplane on the highway with the amount of light this truck was outputting.

Totally illegal btw

Old 06-14-2021, 02:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,468,473 times
Here in Texas, headlight aiming and height requirements used to be part of the yearly state inspection for all vehicles. It's really gotten out of hand in the last few years. They need to start enforcing current laws, or make new ones to control the lighting on cars, and especially trucks.
I see the off-road lights being used all the time, and those stupid lights that illuminate the underside of a truck. Illegal to use, but like many other laws, they are not being enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive