Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 03:53 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,619,607 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemLLlPiDXU&t=1315s

Watching this video, I noticed that many of these collisions could have been avoided if the drivers saw a car 200 yards in front of him/her slowly pulling in front of the driver, has several seconds to respond, but just keep going and of course slams into the other car. Does that seem normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 04:24 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
It is amusing when self-driving doubters make a huge deal about the odd accident when they already have a much better driving record than humanity like the examples above.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:56 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
The 3rd "incident" on the video, where the Honda got "t-boned", reminded me of something that almost happened to me, recently. I was driving away from a traffic light, on a multi-lane road. There were two turn lanes, left and right, and two lanes that went straight....for a short time, until the lane to the right, became a right turn lane into a shopping center, and then there was just one lane going straight.

While waiting for the light, I was the 3rd of 4th car in line, in the lane that became the only straight ahead lane, A) because I was going straight; and B) because I knew the lane to my right, ended about 2-300 yards up the road. But sure enough, as I proceeded down the road, some old geezer to my right, wasn't turning into the shopping center, but felt he was 100% entitled to turn left, right in front of me, jamming himself into the space between myself and the car in front of me.

Yeah, I was ALL OVER the horn, but he didn't care, he just turned hard left, and to hell with everyone else. The real payoff, was about another 500 yards up the road, he was turning left, on to a side street, so he should have been in the lane I was, in the first place!!

Old 10-07-2021, 10:29 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
You know, I agree. I watch some of these crash videos for entertainment, and they really demonstrate a few main ideas:

1. Slow down.
2. Especially in winter conditions, slow down.
3. Obey all traffic signals. Don't take off as soon as your light turns green.
4. Situational awareness is vital. If you see a hint of trouble developing in front of you, even if it's not in your lane, slow down before you get close to it.
5. The right of way doesn't protect you from a crash.

Old 10-07-2021, 01:06 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You know, I agree. I watch some of these crash videos for entertainment, and they really demonstrate a few main ideas:

1. Slow down.
4. Situational awareness is vital. If you see a hint of trouble developing in front of you, even if it's not in your lane, slow down before you get close to it.

5a) A crash is a PITA to deal with. Just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you don't still try to avoid the crash.

Now.. You don't swerve lanes blindly, because then.. Guess what? You're at fault if you hit someone.

But, many of those videos I watch.. The accident could have been avoided. Either the driver who had the right of way didn't care and just made the collision happen, or they weren't paying enough attention.

Seems to me that some people just can't let things go. You know, people screw up. You've done it, i've done it.. We don't see someone riding in a blind spot, whatever.. If someone is merging into your lane.. Rather than the first motion being to hit the horn.. Taking the foot off the gas and slowing down works pretty good, too.

Old 10-07-2021, 01:39 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemLLlPiDXU&t=1315s

Watching this video, I noticed that many of these collisions could have been avoided if the drivers saw a car 200 yards in front of him/her slowly pulling in front of the driver, has several seconds to respond, but just keep going and of course slams into the other car. Does that seem normal?
Maybe - it's hard to tell how much brake was applied or what other factors are in play. You may not have room to go left/right because of other cars, etc. Also, since we're watching a video of "car crashes" - you're expecting it. Under normal circumstances, most of us are not driving like every car is going to pull out like it did. We're more often looking at where our car is going to be. You want to be defensive...but most are not going to be paranoid (those that do that can also be dangerous).

That said - there are certainly some scenarios where slowing down in the first place would have avoided a collision (fault or not). Like that early video in the snow....the subtitle said the driver was going 75Km on a 80Km road or something like that.... seems like that may still have been a tad faster than he should have been. But of course, we weren't there....

Old 10-07-2021, 04:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
34:38 is a perfect example of how MOST accidents are the fault of two bad drivers...

https://youtu.be/zemLLlPiDXU?t=2077

But many of those were unavoidable.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:07 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
36:05 is awesome.

A guy getting out of the way of a oncoming rear ender by checking his rearview while letting the guy in front take the hit.

https://youtu.be/zemLLlPiDXU?t=2161

Perfect.

I'm always amazed at how few drivers check their rearview.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:48 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,619,607 times
At 2:29 notice how the truck turns right towards the car instead of swerving left to avoid the other car...

10:36 Guy must have been doing Coke...lol

Old 10-08-2021, 05:41 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

1. Slow down.
One common one you forgot:

6. Don’t complete left turn on yellow until it’s clear everyone coming the other way will stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive