Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 08:02 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Last June I traded in my year old VW Tiguan SEL for the ID.4. I did the trade after a brief but impressive test drive. I hadn't even realized the whole advantages I had in store for me regarding passing. ON a rural 2 lane highway I often would take back from a larger town we do our shopping in a half our away by interstate. Coming back on the 2 lane rural highway I always would end up with some yahoo driving 5 under which made me nuts. The first time I drove the ID.4 and went to pass I was utterly shocked I was past the car in front of me and back in my lane in several seconds. It took one heck of a lot longer in the Tiguan or another previous Nissan Rogue we had. So man am I ever thrilled with the instant torque delivery I now get. It's a 7sec 0-60 time not the 5 or 3 some of the Tesla's and a few others get, but I'm happy as a clam with this advantage. If I'm on the interstate at 80mph I also find if I need to quickly pass someone once again the car is more than willing to deliver the instant speed I ask it for unlike a gas engine model of before. The best part of it all is when I get home I can charge up for penny's on the dollar compared to the absurd gas prices as it burns through each and every gallon. So glad those days are over for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Essentially no one "needs" to do a 0-60 in 2 seconds - but that is not the point. The real reason is that it is fun to get a jump at every light.

I don't disagree that it can be fun but not every single time. It's the 30-60 time as dcisive noted above, that is more useful in everyday driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 02:09 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I don't disagree that it can be fun but not every single time. It's the 30-60 time as dcisive noted above, that is more useful in everyday driving.
It is fun every single time from every single light - the 0-30 is very useful in an EV, no squeal of tire or revving of engine that makes the 0-30 not real useful in an ICE - no prep just power. Even the LEAF is good from 0-30 at about 3 secs but it's 0-60 kind of sucks at 10 seconds with just over 100 HP.

You do many more 0-30 than 30-60 accelerations. My Tesla is good for 0-60 in about 4.7 seconds but its 0-30 of well under 2 seconds is better than many true sports cars. I had a hellcat try to keep up at lights in the LA area - he was revving and squealing tires just to match my non-performance SUV version of Tesla between lights.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:12 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
It is fun every single time from every single light - the 0-30 is very useful in an EV, no squeal of tire or revving of engine that makes the 0-30 not real useful in an ICE - no prep just power. Even the LEAF is good from 0-30 at about 3 secs but it's 0-60 kind of sucks at 10 seconds with just over 100 HP.

You do many more 0-30 than 30-60 accelerations. My Tesla is good for 0-60 in about 4.7 seconds but its 0-30 of well under 2 seconds is better than many true sports cars. I had a hellcat try to keep up at lights in the LA area - he was revving and squealing tires just to match my non-performance SUV version of Tesla between lights.
Those are great for sideshows. But how do you know it was a Hellcat? Charger? Challenger? Those types of EV's are just too expensive and quiet for that type of fun and Tesla's are known to crash n burn with being unreliable pilot system.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:32 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
For starters, EVs are getting faster largely because the battery packs are getting bigger and/or have more capacity to dump huge amounts of torque into the drive wheels on demand. But there's a tradeoff between available acceleration and efficiency because quick acceleration means lower gearing, which in turn reduces cruising efficiency. Right now nearly if not actually all EVs on the market are single-speed so they can't bump up the gear ratio at cruising speeds to improve efficiency. Most attempts at a conventional gearbox for EVs have been fruitless because they can't handle the torque from the electric motors without adding a bunch of weight to the vehicle.

That said, a company called Inmotive has developed a promising-looking lightweight compact two-speed transmission that can seamlessly shift from low gear to high gear and handle the grunt from a high-torque electric motor:

Old 03-20-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Hey don't take it so personally. As I said, the 0-60 times are fun but not that useful. I don't race stoplight to stoplight. I spend my time on backroads and highways where passing others is more important. I don't need to get to the next stop 2 blocks away that quickly.

If you enjoy, great.

Old 03-21-2022, 03:37 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Those are great for sideshows. But how do you know it was a Hellcat? Charger? Challenger? Those types of EV's are just too expensive and quiet for that type of fun and Tesla's are known to crash n burn with being unreliable pilot system.
Maybe because it was marked hellcat - it was a challenger. The Tesla EV is about the same price but much more practical and much better gas mileage - I am sure he would beat me at any speed above about 40 MPH. The Tesla is one of the safest vehicles and the auto-pilot system is very reliable but there are some abusing it that are idiots.

Quote:
Hey don't take it so personally. As I said, the 0-60 times are fun but not that useful. I don't race stoplight to stoplight. I spend my time on backroads and highways where passing others is more important. I don't need to get to the next stop 2 blocks away that quickly.

If you enjoy, great.
You are really not understanding if you think I was taking it personally (I wasn't) - I think you don't understand how addictive the jump you get at every light is. The 0-30 quickness is very useful to me - even half throttle will out accelerate most ICE. I guess I wasn't clear, I was not racing the hellcat, just accelerating smartly. The Hellcat may have thought he was racing me but I wasn't racing him. I am not on back roads very often so opposite lane passing is less of an importance to me.

Last edited by ddeemo; 03-21-2022 at 04:01 AM..

Old 03-21-2022, 03:46 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Maybe because it was marked hellcat - it was a challenger. The Tesla EV is about the same price but much more practical and much better gas mileage - I am sure he would beat me at any speed above about 40 MPH. The Tesla is one of the safest vehicles and the auto-pilot system is very reliable but there are some abusing it that are idiots.
I owned a Hellcat and now have a Tesla, the Tesla is quicker in all real world acceleration needs. The only place the Hellcat is faster is above 60 when the Hellcat finally starts to keep traction, so if I had access to the Autobahn, I could go faster in the Hellcat for that one use-case, but here in America, the Tesla is quicker on the street.

I also currently drive a BMW X5 45E which is also quick, but not as quick as the Tesla. If you want to be the quickest on the street (I do), buy a Tesla.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:23 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
For starters, EVs are getting faster largely because the battery packs are getting bigger and/or have more capacity to dump huge amounts of torque into the drive wheels on demand. But there's a tradeoff between available acceleration and efficiency because quick acceleration means lower gearing, which in turn reduces cruising efficiency. Right now nearly if not actually all EVs on the market are single-speed so they can't bump up the gear ratio at cruising speeds to improve efficiency. Most attempts at a conventional gearbox for EVs have been fruitless because they can't handle the torque from the electric motors without adding a bunch of weight to the vehicle.

That said, a company called Inmotive has developed a promising-looking lightweight compact two-speed transmission that can seamlessly shift from low gear to high gear and handle the grunt from a high-torque electric motor:

Nice video - thanks for sharing Looks like a creative tranny.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
You are really not understanding if you think I was taking it personally (I wasn't) - I think you don't understand how addictive the jump you get at every light is. The 0-30 quickness is very useful to me - even half throttle will out accelerate most ICE. I guess I wasn't clear, I was not racing the hellcat, just accelerating smartly. The Hellcat may have thought he was racing me but I wasn't racing him. I am not on back roads very often so opposite lane passing is less of an importance to me.
I know how addictive it is. IMHO, red light racing isn't that exciting. To me, it would get old quickly.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:59 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
I know how addictive it is. IMHO, red light racing isn't that exciting. To me, it would get old quickly.

But the other part is squirting through traffic when necessary. On ramps where you have to quickly merge, etc. It's fun AND useful. My Bolt doesn't have a good 0-60 spec on paper, but once you get above 10mph (as it's software limited to not spin the tires) the 266 lb ft of torque delivered instantly, with zero waiting, makes it ultra quick for passing and merging (especially if you've been behind a slower car on the on-ramp and need to merge much quicker due to coming up/down the ramp slower than you'd like). Compared to other 200hp gas cars, like my MINI Cooper JCW or a GTI, it's damn quick, as you don't have to wait for the engine to spool up.

And yes, just like a gas car, it you mash the throttle all the time, the range goes down. But it's not much. And every time you slow down, it puts juice back in the battery, unlike a gas car. So you can go a lot farther than you might think. No one is mashing the throttle all the time, so those few times you do, won't really matter overall. And in practice, haven't been an issue for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive