Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 05:59 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You keep wanting to call it "racing stoplight to stoplight" and "red light racing" - to confer the negative connotation as racing on city streets. That is NOT at all what I am talking about - I am not racing anybody and have no desire to. I am talking about quick acceleration to normal road speeds without a peep and in doing so, allows to get through traffic with minimal fuss. AWD with 500+ HP and massive torque at 0 RPM will get you moving quickly. You really don't seem to get it since you keep trying to characterize it as "racing".
500hp and AWD would definitely be fun. Especially in something light. I've got a 31 year old pickup that makes just shy of 300hp , is AWD and it is still fun. It isn't fast by today's standards but that launch still makes it enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 06:04 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You keep wanting to call it "racing stoplight to stoplight" and "red light racing" - to confer the negative connotation as racing on city streets. That is NOT at all what I am talking about - I am not racing anybody and have no desire to. I am talking about quick acceleration to normal road speeds without a peep and in doing so, allows to get through traffic with minimal fuss. AWD with 500+ HP and massive torque at 0 RPM will get you moving quickly. You really don't seem to get it since you keep trying to characterize it as "racing".
Those are terms that have been used in enthusiast circles and automotive journalism for decades. It means leaving a stop as quickly as possibly to simply reach the next stop or red light a few hundred yards away in a futile pursuit of superiority. I don't engage in that and it sounds like you don't as well.

I understand the ability of electric cars to accelerate quickly from a stop. What I don't understand is the focus on this one benefit of an electric car. As I said, it's a party trick to be able to go from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds IMHO. It's not something that most people do in daily driving. Yes, it's a rush and it's fun but not a useful tool everyday.

I noted earlier that 30-60+ is more important to me. I merge onto highways from short on ramps and drive on back roads where acceleration while underway comes in handy.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:35 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Those are terms that have been used in enthusiast circles and automotive journalism for decades. It means leaving a stop as quickly as possibly to simply reach the next stop or red light a few hundred yards away in a futile pursuit of superiority. I don't engage in that and it sounds like you don't as well.

I understand the ability of electric cars to accelerate quickly from a stop. What I don't understand is the focus on this one benefit of an electric car. As I said, it's a party trick to be able to go from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds IMHO. It's not something that most people do in daily driving. Yes, it's a rush and it's fun but not a useful tool everyday.

I noted earlier that 30-60+ is more important to me. I merge onto highways from short on ramps and drive on back roads where acceleration while underway comes in handy.
EVs are also good for the 30-60+ stretch as well. The thing with EVs is that the power just keeps coming until you max out.

On top of that is that EVs generally have fairly good weight balancing since there's a lot that can be moved around to get an even weight distribution and generally the batteries are placed fairly low so the vehicles have low center of gravity. On top of that, it's relatively easy to design EVs for all kinds of crazy torque vectoring stuff if you want it. So on the handlilng/performance side, EVs are pretty good in much more than just 0-60 mph times.

The other parts that are good such as utility is that for the same exterior size, EVs generally can fit a lot more usable interior space since the batteries are usually floor mounted and fairly low in height and the motors are generally quite small so there's a lot of space that can be opened up. Also, there's a nice thing with how efficient EV powertrains are that a large chunk of people can cover their day to day miles used by charging at home which is a fantastic convenience.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:04 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
My Model 3 Performance beats pretty much everything non-Tesla commonly found on the road from 0 to about 80. There’s somewhat of a drop off to “normal†acceleration around that point. At 100 it may as well be a tank, but it does keep accelerating. Lane changes in the 60-80 range are still far quicker than any car I’ve ever driven or been a passenger in.

That’s a side benefit though. The greatest advantage is cost of “fueling†and the ease at which I do so. I’ve used public charging twice in the last 2 months. Both completely free.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-23-2022, 03:48 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
EVs are also good for the 30-60+ stretch as well. The thing with EVs is that the power just keeps coming until you max out.

On top of that is that EVs generally have fairly good weight balancing since there's a lot that can be moved around to get an even weight distribution and generally the batteries are placed fairly low so the vehicles have low center of gravity. On top of that, it's relatively easy to design EVs for all kinds of crazy torque vectoring stuff if you want it. So on the handlilng/performance side, EVs are pretty good in much more than just 0-60 mph times.

The other parts that are good such as utility is that for the same exterior size, EVs generally can fit a lot more usable interior space since the batteries are usually floor mounted and fairly low in height and the motors are generally quite small so there's a lot of space that can be opened up. Also, there's a nice thing with how efficient EV powertrains are that a large chunk of people can cover their day to day miles used by charging at home which is a fantastic convenience.
Oh I know they are. But all the hype is "0-60 in 3 seconds." That's the issue I have. It's a metric but the EV community focuses on that single number.

I'm considering an EV for a purchase at some point. I drive in my job - I cranked out over 230 miles today. There are vehicles out there that can do that but I need the space to haul catalogs, samples, luggage on a daily basis. Also charging during the day isn't convenient for me so range is important. Big bonus is getting reimbursed 58.5 cents per mile with no fuel cost.

The Mach E looks like it could replace my BMW 3 GT in the future.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:52 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My Model 3 Performance beats pretty much everything non-Tesla commonly found on the road from 0 to about 80. There’s somewhat of a drop off to “normal†acceleration around that point. At 100 it may as well be a tank, but it does keep accelerating. Lane changes in the 60-80 range are still far quicker than any car I’ve ever driven or been a passenger in.

That’s a side benefit though. The greatest advantage is cost of “fueling†and the ease at which I do so. I’ve used public charging twice in the last 2 months. Both completely free.
Is the Model 3 the lowest cost Tesla? Which is $60,000+

Old 03-23-2022, 04:00 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is the Model 3 the lowest cost Tesla? Which is $60,000+
So? No one's forcing people to buy these cars.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-23-2022, 04:10 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So? No one's forcing people to buy these cars.
That's for sure

Old 03-23-2022, 08:43 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

No those are terms you are using - show one automotive magazine talking about racing an EV on city streets. Now you want to use "futile attempt", again in an apparent attempt to dismiss. The 0-30 is as impressive as the 30-60 but for me the 0-30 is what I use most. It is not all about what you think is most useful and really disingenuous to dismiss so many with actual experience that disagree. You still don't get it - why do you feel the need to put acceleration down as "silly" - until you experience it, you really have no idea what is useful.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:31 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Well, in reality sports car enthusiasts benefit the most from very rapid acceleration. But the great majority of people (the masses) are interested the most on other than massive acceleration, and those include the average EV driver who does not own a high performance automobile. I do understand that building an EV for drag racing would be interesting because of rapid acceleration for very short periods of time. In this case ICE dragsters use small quantities of fuel, and a smaller EV battery could be used since there aren't worries about discharging it within a few seconds.

Then there is a thing called, "traction": there is a point where the tires lose traction. For example, when living in Sacramento, CA years ago, it seldom rained during the summer, but when it did rain a lot of drivers would lose control of their vehicles when driving on the now sleek roads. Loss of traction is very common when driving on slippery roads of any kind. Rapid acceleration, and the use of brakes can turn into your worst enemies when driving on the icy roads of the interior of Alaska or any other place where it snows during the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive