Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 01:42 AM

84 posts, read 57,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This is a little old but from a us government energy agency.

“While vehicles reach optimal fuel economy at different speeds, gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 50 miles per hour (mph). For light-duty vehicles, for example, every 5 mph you drive over 50 mph is like paying $0.18 more per gallon of gas (based on the price of gas at $2.63 per gallon).”.
Back to Double Nickel speed limit?

That was painful on us commercial drivers trying to get across several states / day.
With the now reduced driving hours / day... freight costs will rocket if speeds drop (Which they may have to if fuel shortages happen.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 01:49 AM

1,655 posts, read 766,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You’ll be surprised how many people do not understand that driving hard and fast uses more gas.

Most drivers around me gun it even if the light ahead is red. I’ve come to realize that most people are simply too stupid to even realize that all they’re doing is wasting gas. That plus people today are generally impatient. Just the feeling of going faster, even to a red light or a stop sign ahead makes them feel like they are going somewhere sooner.
IMO, it has something to do with us now living in a world where we constantly have a phone or tablet or tv flashing in front of our face…it has reduced our attention spans and made is more impatient drivers.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:47 AM

15,402 posts, read 25,684,269 times
I don’t have to mash down on the accelerator to go faster. A little more pressure than normal and away we go!

Old 03-07-2022, 06:08 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,341,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots23 View Post
....There is also a lot of animosity for people driving in their cars wearing masks...

I don't get it...
Why does this stuff bother other drivers / people?

Can only EV drivers use "Lead Foot" at a certain fuel price point?

Maybe OP does not own a business employing drivers?

"Seems that most employees are "Lead Foot" drivers
Certain people today are just busybody’s and have nothing better to do is complain about what our people do. And people wearing mask in their vehicles is hilarious. I guess they think they can catch Covid-19 from their heating or ac system.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:55 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,351,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Certain people today are just busybody’s and have nothing better to do is complain about what our people do. And people wearing mask in their vehicles is hilarious. I guess they think they can catch Covid-19 from their heating or ac system.
Or they're driving between places requiring masks and don't feel like putting it on a second time

Old 03-07-2022, 08:57 AM

4,885 posts, read 2,986,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots23 View Post
....There is also a lot of animosity for people driving in their cars wearing masks...

I don't get it...
Why does this stuff bother other drivers / people?

Because they're the same idiots who don't bother using turn signals.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:00 AM

700 posts, read 441,333 times
I find it hilarious that so many here are experts on what others do, they seemingly track a database of driving behavior and correlate one behavior to another on an ongoing basis.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,473,899 times
Will not see driving behaviors like this change until gas reaches a much higher price. If gas is around $7+, I doubt anyone will be out racing around like they are now.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,227 posts, read 80,442,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Will not see driving behaviors like this change until gas reaches a much higher price. If gas is around $7+, I doubt anyone will be out racing around like they are now.
Maybe, but then again I haven't seen the difference going slow. I always enjoy the acceleration on my F150 with 5.0 Coyote V8/385 horsepower, especially when hitting the freeway onramp, going as fast as possible up to the speed limit plus maybe 5. A few times I have tried driving like a hypermiler just for fun back when I commuted every day pre-Covid and the result was still the same, 19 mpg/680 miles on a tank. What's bad is when working from home 5 days I only went a mile or two up to maybe 6 anywhere on local errands and was lucky to get 13 mpg. But then I only had to fill up about every 5-6 weeks.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:57 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,561,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hello!! Waving at you, me - the lead foot.
As long it's not breaking any driving laws, why do you care?
Drive at your pace and I will drive at mine
And remember - slower traffic keep right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive