Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 11:22 AM

925 posts, read 4,707,705 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2008 Honda Accord. For past few months, I have been experiencing really bad reflections on my windshield. This becomes a driving hazard at night since, the light coming from oncoming traffic is reflected and turns into vertical lines on my windshield.

What is an effective way to solve this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 11:39 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
I drive a 2008 Honda Accord. For past few months, I have been experiencing really bad reflections on my windshield. This becomes a driving hazard at night since, the light coming from oncoming traffic is reflected and turns into vertical lines on my windshield.

Clean the windshield, bath inside and out.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
The only reflection I see is in daytime off the dashboard. They need to talk to physics major.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Clean the windshield, bath inside and out.
Yes, dirt, as well as windshield pitting (from small rocks and grit hitting the surface at highway speed) cause light dispersion/glare at the glass surface. Do the best you can with thoroughly cleaning first and see how that looks. If it's badly pitted, price out getting some new windshield glass.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:34 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,219,465 times
Quote:

I see someone else advise this I will also advise this clean your windshield also clean your dashboard.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:25 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:

Assuming you mean refraction of light passing through your grimy windshield or pitted windshield, the answer is to was the windshield and replace it if necessary. There's nothing you can do about pitting other htan replace it, which given the age of the car is certainly possible it just needs a new windshield.

Reflection would mean the headlights from oncoming traffic is bouncing off your windshield and blinding the oncoming traffic. If that's what you mean it's your headlights and not the reflection of their headlights bouncing off your windshield that's blinding them. Unless you're talking about blinding some alien abudction lights or someting, your wind shield isn't pointed the right direction for that.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:34 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
I personally like the Stoner Invisible Glass wipes, clean the inside of the windshield with them, that might be the problem.

You may have something built up on the outside so a scrub with something like Bon Ami cleaner or a specific windshield cleaner may help

Do run your fingernails over the glass, if it's pitted and rough, as others have said, the only practical fix is a new windshield, as far as I know.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:37 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
And have your eyes checked. Cataract formation can cause halos and starbursts at night.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:07 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
The inside of the windshield may need cleaning. Do people smoke in your car?
A once-over cleaning with Windex may not be enough. It may required several scrubbings.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Be careful with using abrasive cleaners like Bon Ami, Comet, etc on the glass, as glass is not really hard and can be scratched fairly easily.

I have gotten away with cleaning the windshield occasionally with warm water and dish soap and a kitchen scrub sponge that's safe for non-stick cookware. I don't apply a lot of pressure, and that way it does do a better job of cleaning than just the soft regular sponge surface, but doesn't seem to scratch the glass. I wouldn't do even this too often or press too hard. Once it's scratched, it's scratched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive