Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 09:50 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Yikes, I was looking at Kias as a possible future vehicle.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/l...-suvs-recalled

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzJeoQ8nXw

Quote:
As more car and SUV drivers report narrow escapes after the recalls of 5.8 million vehicles, a national auto safety watchdog tells I-Team investigator Jackie Callaway about plans to issue a consumer alert.

The I-Team first broke the story of Kia's and Hyundai's catching fire while parked in driveways or riding on the road in 2018. Yet drivers continue to endure harrowing escapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 07:00 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
https://youtu.be/XWq-Mq1Uqpw
Electric vehicles also have a fire risk. In the case of Hyundai/Kia it’s a particular engine. Don’t buy vehicles with this engine.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:41 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
Engines seldom catch fire unless there is a big oil leak over the exhaust system. Oil leaks start small and smoke long before the fire. I had seen a piston go through the engine block from insufficient lubrication and there was no fire. The dangerous fires start when a fuel line leaks, usually at a high-pressure connector. It could be poor design, or could happen after a negligent repair.

The other Hyundai-Kia fires are electrical in nature when there is a short in the ABS control module. This type of fire is not engine related. If they could rewire the car so that particular circuit isn't powered unless the car is moving there wouldn't be a need to park that vehicle outside.

I can deal with a fire when I'm driving - pull over, get out, let the insurance handle it. The fires I'm scared of are the fires happening in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping and the EV is hooked up to a 220 Volt charger.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:43 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
KIA was the first car we looked at before we bought a new one. Glad we kept on looking.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:06 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://youtu.be/XWq-Mq1Uqpw
Electric vehicles also have a fire risk. In the case of Hyundai/Kia it’s a particular engine. Don’t buy vehicles with this engine.
Can I ask what made you randomly try pushing your EV hatred as the first reply in a thread that didn’t mention them?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-08-2022, 04:28 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Can I ask what made you randomly try pushing your EV hatred as the first reply in a thread that didn’t mention them?
The thread was about vehicle fires. Other vehicle brands also have fire risk. The Hyundai/Kia fire risk are for particular vehicles and engines. Not all Hyundai/Kia vehicles have this risk. Some electric vehicles also have a fire risk as reported on the news.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:34 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The thread was about vehicle fires. Other vehicle brands also have fire risk. The Hyundai/Kia fire risk are for particular vehicles and engines. Not all Hyundai/Kia vehicles have this risk. Some electric vehicles also have a fire risk as reported on the news.
Incorrect. The thread IS about a recall specific to Hyundais and Kias. And henceforth it will remain as such.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-10-2022, 05:03 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Wow - 5,000 fires is a lot of fires. A real black eye for Kia/Hyundai.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:35 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Certain engines were problematic.

I've had four KIAs, my wife's weird daughter had two which we bought for her. I've owned probably 30-40 cars over the decades. Never had a fire.

ONE potential fire happened, I was standing in the carport when my parents' '79 Cadillac started cranking on its own. Werd. At double time. That puppy was spinning fast fast. I grabbed a rag or something and yanked one of the battery cables off.

Meanwhile I'd told someone to call the FD, because this looked like things could get exciting here at Cadillac Ranch.

So, battery disconnected, starter stopped spinning the engine. FD showed up, I thanked them and warned them about buying a KIA.

No, wait. KIA did not exist in the USA then. Never mind, I must have been channeling a SoKo automotive engineer. Or something.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I know for the Sonata alone there were two different reasons for fires. Both the 2.4 and 2.0T had issues with a plastic connector breaking on high pressure fuel line. The 2.0T also had some issues with the oil feed line for the turbo blowing off.

Actually, it's anything with the Theta engine.. Sonata, Optima, Sorrento, Santa Fe, Sportage, etc... and of course those are famous for seizing up too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive