Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 11:15 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Won’t happen with American automakers to expensive to retool a assembly plant to build a compact sedan. It cost GM $2.2 billion dollars to convert their Hamtramck assembly plant to make the new electric Hummer.
Electra Meccanica - creator of "solo" vehicle max 80 mph, one person. 110 volt charging, three wheels, $18,500 to be assembled at the Company's Mesa Manufacturing Facility in Arizona for delivery to the public in late 2022.

Arcimoto Fun Utility Vehicles $17,900 for 2 passenger vehicle that is assembled in Eugene, Oregon.

You could argue that the Electra Meccanica Solo and the Arcimoto FUV are poor substitutes for the 2022 Mitsubishi Mirage MSRP: From $14,645 seats four people with 78 hp engine and a 9.6 gallon fuel tank (~350 mile range). However, at least it is a vehicle for under $20,000.

I think the inexpensive subcompacts assembled in Mexico are not going anywhere. They have a market in Latin America and it will be relatively easy to ship a few to the US to satisfy the relatively small demand.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:49 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Long ago I saw a very large RV the size of a Greyhound bus at the former Sam's Club store (now Costco) in Fairbanks, Alaska, and inside the luggage compartment there was the tiniest Honda Civic I have ever seen. Instead of luggage it was sitting on a platform. I have no idea how the RV driver could move the Cvivic out of there (the platform probably was hydraulic and extendable out of the RV). Anyway, I never forgot it because it seemed to be a great idea. The Civic was of a a spotless and bright canary yellow color.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I've seen Miata's in cargo bay of Prevost style Motorhomes. (Good idea!)

A Canadian Smart car will legally fit crossways on your 5th wheel toter (Shorter than USA model due to smaller bumpers). A friend has a Volvo Semi Tractor toter and mounts his Smart car crossways, behind the cab / sleeper.

I have also seen 'inclined' ramps on a toter RV for 'piggy-back' extra vehicles. (Saturn)

a few options... (Smart near top of page, Samurai about 1/3 down)
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

Class A 'toy-hauler' (Mini Cooper)
https://archive.curbed.com/2018/7/30...-morelo-palace

Old 05-18-2022, 12:03 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because, in my opinion, those cars just got too small, inconvenient and uncomfortable for most people. No, not because Americans are fat but because we have families.

Comparisons to Europe are non-operative. Driving across Europe you'll go through 6 or 7 countries in the time it takes you to cross just one, Texas, US state.
Also price.

When I bought the Mazda3 originally I was mostly looking at the Fit. It's extremely buzzy on the freeway and very unrefined though. The Mazda3 5-door with the 2.3 was only $3,500 more than the Fit and just far more car. That's not pocket change when you're talking about a $15,000 Honda Fit and an $18,500 Mazda3 but it was just a huge amount more car.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:03 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,294,427 times
If you cross the border, there are numerous small cars around.

Here is the Toyota Yaris https://www.toyota.mx/modelo/yaris-hb
The Nissan March https://www.nissan.com.mx/vehiculos/todos/march.html
The Suzuki Swift https://www.suzuki.com.mx/autos/swift
The Fiat Mobi https://www.fiat.com.mx/mobi-2022.html

They cost about $14,000.
---
The US environmental agency requires that the Yaris must have the fuel economy of 55 mpg or better.
For the F-150, it's 20 mpg. If Ford makes it bigger, then 15 mpg.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:30 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Suzuki Samurai, quite popular and several companies offer 'diesel swap' packages for those long hours of idling Diesels use micro qty of fuel at an idle (and won't kill you due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning )

Much of the world pays 1.5 -2x more than the USA does for fuel.
Diesels do put out Carbon Monoxide at levels that can kill you - it puts out less but not that much less.

Much of the world pays much more in tax for fuels - the actual cost of the fuel is fairly close to the same.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:45 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Mod cut.

I love my Toyota Yaris 2019 and still have it. Now they got rid of that alone with the Honda Fit.

Have these car dealers or inventors lost their mind? Not everybody can afford an SUV and gas prices are still insanely high to began with?

Now my love will be for the Kia Rio in a few years if it’s still damn here and they don’t chop it like every other Compact car?
My guess is they just don't have good sales.

There are other cars that get that kind of gas mileage that aren't ultra compact if that's the reason you like them I don't know there might be other reasons they look like they could be fun to drive.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:52 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
KIA Soul, Hyundai Venue, those are compacts.
Well, sort of. Because of the consumer move towards vehicles that look like SUVs they took their subcompact class vehicle and gave it a crossover body. In the case of Hyundai & Kia they did it in multiple versions. The Nissan Versa had a hatchback version and it’s been replaced by the Nissan Kicks. The Hyundai Accent hatchback has been replaced by the Hyundai Venue. The Hyundai Kona is built on the same platform as the Accent but is slightly larger than the Venue and has the Elantra compact sedan engines and transmissions. Kia has the Soul and the slightly larger Seltos.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:57 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Well, the best selling compacts for decades now, the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic are still being sold, and are bigger and more powerful than they used to be (minus the base engine Corolla). I happened to park next to a new Civic 4dr hatchback in white pearl with black alloy wheels this morning on my walk down by the river - looked sharp. The latest generation is more grown up looking and said to be more refined in terms of NVH and platform stiffness.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-18-2022 at 05:11 AM..

Old 05-18-2022, 04:44 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
KIA Soul, Hyundai Venue, those are compacts.

And, sadly IMO, Hyundai got rid of the manual transmission on the Venue after the first year, and Kia got rid of the manual transmission on the Soul for the 2022 model year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive