Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 04:47 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,399,560 times

Advertisements

I have two noises that no one has been able to track down and fix.

I have a chirping sound when accelerating or going up and incline. And I have what sounds like a suspension rattle.

I have had it to five mechanics, including the dealer. The dealer and two others just scratched their head and said they couldn't figure it out. One of the others turned the rotors and replaced the struts....then said they had no clue when that didn't fix it. The last mechanic changed the serpentine belt and replaced the front contol arm bushings and the stabilizer bar link assemblies. Again, the fix didn't change the noises.

I am now out $$$ and still haven't been able to find a mechanic that can diagnose and fix these issues.

I tend to think the chirping is in one of the pulleys, though every mechanic I've seen has said not. The rattle, I have no idea. I've about run out of things to replace.

Anyone else take a car to this many mechanics and still been unable to get it fixed? It's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 04:51 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
What is the year, make, and model of your automobile? How many miles?

Old 06-10-2022, 05:00 PM

12,475 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Well, don't sell the car - it's had a lot of nice work done on it.

Old 06-10-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
What is the year, make, and model of your automobile? How many miles?

2011 Nissan Sentra 135,000 miles

Old 06-10-2022, 05:57 PM

462 posts, read 286,807 times
It's 11 years old.....live with it.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
2011 Nissan Sentra 135,000 miles
If you rock the car while parked, and compress the suspension as much as humanly possible, really putting some *** into it, can you reproduce the rattle or squeak?

I ask because there are several Nissans from that period that seems to suffer from failed subframe bushing. It's hard to diagnose from sounds that I cannot hear, but I don't think it's much of a stretch that a rattle or squeak could be a symptom of subframe bushing failure in light of the work that has already been completed.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
If you rock the car while parked, and compress the suspension as much as humanly possible, really putting some *** into it, can you reproduce the rattle or squeak?

I ask because there are several Nissans from that period that seems to suffer from failed subframe bushing. It's hard to diagnose from sounds that I cannot hear, but I don't think it's much of a stretch that a rattle or squeak could be a symptom of subframe bushing failure in light of the work that has already been completed.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's not a component I'm familiar with.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
In modern-day unibody cars, the subframe attaches the suspension components to the unibody. For the sake of simplicity, there are four bolts that attach to the subframe of the car. The subframe consists of a rectangular frame, wheels, tires, brakes, lower control arms, etc., which are interconnected to the car.

Each bolt contains a bushing that allows the subframe to flex. Much like control arms or stabilizer bushings. If those bushings are going bad or are bad, they can present as squeaks, clunks, and rattles, especially in situations where the subframe may flex. Perhaps, acceleration. With that, you may be able to replicate the noise with physical, hands-on movement.

I've never replaced subframe bushings but I know that certain Nissans were prone. I reputable dealer service department or indy mechanic would have verified this before changing any components. I don't know that I would recommend replacement based on the car's value and age unless it was a weekend DiY project, but I would want to eliminate all other potential easier, less expensive choices first.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 06-10-2022 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-10-2022, 07:44 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Here's a video on replacing Sentra subframe bushings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JG-xxReigQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive