Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:57 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times

Advertisements

Well, I'll tell you what... If it is anything remotely related to a Rolls-Royce or Bentley of the past then I have a person to ask. If he has never heard of it then I can guarantee it does not exist at all. I worked in his RR/Bentley restoration shop for a few years during college and we have a few older RR's in our transportation fleet... I have yet to hear of any Newton valve.

If it does exist, my wild guess would be that it refers to components in those wacky mineral oil braking systems.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 06-12-2010 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
Real mechanics dont have time to play word games about which part is called what,They use their repair manual and fix the problem and not talk about it. There is your answer..

Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,885 times
wild guess: something to do with those complicated SU carburators

Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
OK, here is what I know about these parts:

Newton Valve - This is slang term in the UK for a "needle valve" as the company who manufactured them for some time period was called Newton. Needle valves are used to regulate flow rates in low flow applications, such as idling. However, the term is also occasionally incorrectly used to refer to a float valve in a carb. I've never necessarily heard the term used this way, but it isn't a far stretch to assume that at some point Brit mechanics referred to float valves as "Newton Valves".

Banjo Housing - This is most commonly a style of rear end used on many older cars. It was called a "Banjo" rear because of the way it looked. "Banjo" can also refer to any number of banjo style fittings used primarily on carbs and other hard lines.

How to put them together...I'm not really sure. In fact I'm not even 100% sure that the parts I listed are what the OP is referring to. However, some banjo style rears were equipped with a float valve (maybe referred to as a Netwon Valve?) that ventilated gases in the diff. They were designed so that gasses could escape, but not fluid.

I have to admit, I am stumped, but think I may be on the right track. Maybe someone with more knowledge can put two and two together with some of the clues.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
Steve?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
NJGOAT...your right on the nose. I pulled that term/question on a auto shop high school teacher while in school in Canada during the early 1940's. He had NO answer and the kids in my class later asked me for the answer.

The term Newton Valve did have a early meaning in the UK.

You earn a HIGH FIVE.

Steve

Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
NJGOAT...your right on the nose. I pulled that term/question on a auto shop high school teacher while in school in Canada during the early 1940's. He had NO answer and the kids in my class later asked me for the answer.

The term Newton Valve did have a early meaning in the UK.

You earn a HIGH FIVE.

Steve
Thanks, that was definitely a difficult question. The only reason I had any idea was that some people I know through racing have restored classic Brit cars and they were always ordering parts from a company called Newton Manufacturing in India that was the only place they knew of that made the parts to original specs. It wasn't a far stretch to assume that people simply used the manufacturers name when referring to the part. A quick google search turned up that the most common part they make is a needle valve. Once I knew it was most likely a needle valve, it was easier to put two and two together, though I still wasn't sure I was right.

So, I can't claim that I knew this off the top of my head, it still required a little net search to verify my hunch.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
This not a TRICK question: What is wrong with a car when the Newton Valve is knocking on the Banjo Housing? I don't believe I will get a answer very soon. Decades ago I asked a Auto shop teacher the same question and embarrased him in front of my fellow students as he could not give me a answer. If I get a answer, it probably will be from the UK. Steve
Yeah. Everyone loves a smart a*s student, who tries to prove that he's smarter than the teacher, by asking completely irrelevant trick questions.

It might not be the teacher you embarrassed.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Smart A$$ kid?...not exactly as it took over TWO YRS for a KNOWLEDGED person to come up with the answer on my question...a legit actual name and company.

Many probable answers (close) but only ONE winner.

Was on another English forum and read something on a car/engine refered too as the "DIZZY".

Now what the heck is that?

Steve

Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Smart A$$ kid?...not exactly as it took over TWO YRS for a KNOWLEDGED person to come up with the answer on my question...a legit actual name and company.

Many probable answers (close) but only ONE winner.

Was on another English forum and read something on a car/engine refered too as the "DIZZY".

Now what the heck is that?

Steve
A "dizzy"? That's a distributor.

But knowing that doesn't mean I'm a genius. It just means I've heard it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive